“A+ Staff in D+ Facility” 3 of 5 stars

Red Roof Inn Chicago - Northbrook / Deerfield
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   340 South Waukegan Road, Deerfield, IL 60015   |
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Deerfield
Louisville, Kentucky
“A+ Staff in D+ Facility”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

Problems, problems, problems. I had enough to fill an Everly Brothers song. The staff of the Red Roof were quick to jump to the rescue, however. Anyone who stays here should consider the staff first and the facilities a distant second.

To begin with, the building needs some serious renovation. The first room I was in (I ended up in three rooms in about a 24-hour span, if that tells you anything) had no thermostat control button on the heater. That wasn't good, considering the unseasonably cold weather Chicago was experiencing during my trip. (The remote didn't work, either, but manually turning a TV on and off is secondary to working heat when it's so cold outside that a baseball game had to be postponed.) Since there was no maintenance man on duty I was moved to a new room. While this one did have a working thermostat the cosmetic appearance of the room wasn't much of an improvement.

Cosmetics are sorely lacking at the hotel. The exterior shows significant rusting along the metal frames. For all the room upgrading Red Roof has boasted about over the past year or so they seem to be forgetting to make the outside of the rooms look presentable as well. Both of the first two rooms I was in had issues with paint and plaster peeling (and in the second room someone had apparently put a piece of trash in the overhead heating duct just to see how long it would be before the cleaning staff would notice. Whoever did it, you can rest assured they haven't found it yet.). The "king" rooms were cramped, almost to the point of being claustrophobic. The room size would have been much better with a single queen bed than trying to put a king bed in the smaller space. The towels are another serious issue. The "bath mat" is barely big enough to stand on, and its small size (about the same size as two washcloths) might pose more safety problems than it solves.

Something that really concerns me is the problem that came up during the second day of my stay. I began to notice cigarette smoke filtering into my room from another room. Whether it was seeping through the walls or finding its way through the vents from another room is something I couldn't tell. I could only tell that my non-smoking room began to smell as if someone were lighting up in it, which isn't good for someone with a severe allergy to cigarette smoke. Again, the front desk was right on top of things and moved me to another room -- this one a deluxe king that had none of the cosmetic or ventilation problems of the previous rooms.

The staff at this facility simply cannot be beat. They are alert and quick to respond to a problem (and I certainly had enough to do me for a year's worth of traveling during the two days I was there). Such a courteous and attentive staff deserves a better facility.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Manchester, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Have stayed at this inn for many years when here on business.always have had excellent service by all members of staff.room has always been clean and everything in working order or repaired as soon as I notified them.ample parking for auto,s but limited parking for semi.best if noise of highway traffic bothers you to get room on back side of building.overall I would rate this inn as an excellent choice.also price is very reasonable.

Room Tip: Shopping center attached to inn for any food and supplies needed.restaurants very close by.best deal...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Caro
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Great location, easily accessible from the expressway. Very clean, comfortable beds, quiet location. Plenty of parking right in front of the room. Front desk attendant was very friendly and helpful. Check in and out was very fast.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Staten Island, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

This is my second stay here. This time we sprung for a delux king room which cost about $10 more per day. The extra money is worth it for a king side bed and larger room. Only complaint I have is a very noisy fan in the bathroom. The decor otherwise is standard Red Roof not fancy but functional.

Property was clean staff very helpful. Overall a good stay.

• Stayed April 2013
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Although I may be used to staying at Marriot Hotels my fiancé and I needed a cheap getaway for the weekend. Sadly I was not pleased. The room had a musty scent and they were very stingy with pillows and towels. When asking the front desk for an extra pillow they told us they didn't have any extras. Ok. The TV has very limited channels. It's an outdated TV as well so it's not possible to hook up a PS3 or anything. What really put the icing on the cake was the MOUSE we spotted in our room on the 2nd night! A disgusting mouse was running around where we slept. I was disgusted. We called the front desk to ask if we could switch rooms and requested he bring the key to us for the new room however he made us go get it because he said he couldn't leave the lobby. K. So we had to lug all our belongings to a new room at 12:00am with no help. Also, our room key had us locked out when returning back from the mall on the 2nd day. The guy said they only programmed it for one night. Thanks. Lastly, the inside of the room says check out time is 12:00pm. This morning I get a knock on the door at 11:15am basically telling us to get out because check out was at 11:00am. My finance said the door says 12:00pm! Ad he said it was changed to 11:00am... Well no one ever notified us of this! So we rushed out and left! Not happy with this hotel. Although the beds were okay the rest was a bust. Move along... Much nicer choices for a few bucks more!

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Erie, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I stayed here for one night on business. The staff was fantastic. They arranged a cab for me as well as let me return to my old room after I had checked out to change clothes. When I checked in, they also asked if I had a preference for which floor I stayed on. Unfortunately, that's about the only good thing about the hotel.

The room I stayed in looked really old and smelled bad. The roof was even peeling in places (see picture). The room itself looked clean, though. Additionally, if you are restricted to walking, there's not a lot around. There's a Starbucks about a quarter-mile away and a grocery store a little further on. Other than that, there's just a depressing, mostly-vacant mall.

Tip: Double check that your window is completely shut. Mine was not and somebody from the outside could easily open it and come in your room because there are no screens on the windows.

Room Tip: There is a highway running nearby one side of the hotel which was kind of loud, so ask for a room on...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
redroof188, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Chicago - Northbrook / Deerfield, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Thank you for your kind words regarding our staff! We strive to make all of our guests feel welcome and it looks like we accomplished this goal with you. With respect to the building, please accept my apologies. We do our best to try to keep the hotel in the best condition possible, but sometimes we do fall short. I can assure you that your specific room has been fixed. Thank you again for choosing Red Roof and we hope that you choose us for your future stays in the area.
Green Bay, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I used to work in this neighborhood, so like to stay in the area when traveling between Wisconsin and Michigan.
My wife and 9 month old son stayed here the summer of 2012.
Simply put, the place is dated/dingy, a little spooky, and there are better options just down the street, if they're available.
I say spooky because my wife was a bit spooked out by the people she saw wandering about the place. I have to agree it was a bit odd, but I didn't feel uncomfortable.
However, this hotel is really nothing more than a place to crash, and much better alternatives are just a few blocks away for about twenty bucks more.
If you're cheap, or single, or everything else is booked, this is the place to stay; otherwise, drive on.

Room Tip: Try to get first floor, as elevator is slow, and the stairs are dingy.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
redroof188, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Chicago - Northbrook / Deerfield, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Thank you for choosing the Red Roof Inn Chicago Northbrook/Deerfield during your stay this past summer. I am sorry to hear you found it spooky. If there is ever a concern with respect to guests wandering around the hotel or any other concern that may make you feel uneasy, please call the front desk and we will address the issue immediately. Again, thank you for choosing the Red Roof Inn and we hope that you visit us again in the future.

Nathan Gavzer

Been to Red Roof Inn Chicago - Northbrook / Deerfield? Share your experiences!