“The finest of the NIckel City resorts” 4 of 5 stars

Red Roof Inn Chicago - Northbrook / Deerfield
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   340 South Waukegan Road, Deerfield, IL 60015   |
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Deerfield
NYC
“The finest of the NIckel City resorts”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

WONDER! is the first thought that comes to mind when visiting this fine establishment. A short walk across the highway to the joy of Nickel CIty will have your fears of Rm. 217 melting away.
Upon experiencing the tearful bliss that only 1004 tickets can bring I purchased the Wizard's Brew with my earnings and used it to create a magical Russian Fantasy.
My morning walks to the conveniently located Starbucks were carefree.

Shopping carts races you might ask?

Yes, they were abundant and terrifying.

I recommend this Red Roof Inn.

Room Tip: Can't go wrong with 217.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Northbrook
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

I had a reservation for a king bed, non smoking. They put me in a smoking with a double bed. Room odor from spray to compensate for smokers was overwhelmingly irritating. General condition of room was a c-. I was compensated for one nights stay due to screw-up, but this did not make my stay there acceptable. I learned that in future only book directly with the hotel. Booking through Hotels. com or similiar agency does not guarantee that if you have booked a non-smoking room, you will, in fact, receive a non-smoking room-- and then having them make an adjustment to your bill at the hotel is impossible--you will need to contact booking agency and they will inform you of the fine print which you undoubtedly did not read which says--they really don't guarantee any of your requests--just too bad for you. I will say the manger of the Deerfield Red Roof was helpful and courteous l in resolving our difficulty

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

redroof188, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Chicago - Northbrook / Deerfield, responded to this review, September 15, 2012
Please again accept my apologies for not having the room type you booked available at check in. We strive to please every guest, but sometimes do fall short. When we do fall short, we try to make things right and I am glad that you found us helpful and courteous when we resolved the situation for you.
Chicago, IL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

Stayed here 1 night, weeknight, solo, in a ground floor room. This was a hotel of last resort - had a power outage during a heat wave.

Most of the hotels in the area range from $100-$200 a night, but this one hovers around $60 a night. So its basically the cheap hotel in the area, its a one start property, so set your expectations at that level to start with.

Location-wise, its right next to the Edens Spur (I-94), close to shopping and some businesses, but difficult to find (it is back behind some commercial stuff, on a small access road near the highway ramp).

The building is older, it is an outside hallway hotel that is in mediocre shape. Not horrible, but could use some work. Very few common ammenities - ice machine, some vending machines, coin-fed washer/dryer, free coffee in the lobby.

First room I got, looked OK at first glance... until I saw the dozen or so dead bugs all over the floor, mostly in the bathroom. Then I saw the diner - a large wolf spider, who I squished. Then I killed another bug, and another spider. At this point, it was obvious no one had been in this room in a long time, so I called the Front Desk, and they moved me to the room next door.

Second room was bug-free. Decor is very basic and mostly outdated, room is smallish, but it seemed clean. Bed was OK, pillows were lousy. Carpet was coming up a bit in some places, shower area of bathroom needed some work. A/C is a loud under-window unit.

They do have free Wi-Fi, so that was nice. And the Front Desk guy was nice, quick to change my room, so that was fine too.

Basically, unless that $40 difference per night or a bit of a drive to a different area are dealbreakers, I'd stay somewhere else. As an emergency place or on a budget, it will do, but walk around your room and check it before getting settled.

Room Tip: Avoid the ground floor if possible.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Chicago - Northbrook / Deerfield, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
I am sorry to hear about the issue with your first room, but I am glad to hear that our front desk staff was able to provide a viable solution for you. With respect to the condition of the room, I am glad to hear you found it clean. We do our best to keep our rooms as clean as possible. Thank you for your comments.
Grapevine, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

Older inn, with exterior entrances. Very clean, good facilities, and a really helpful staff. Great location, near I-94 and Chicago's northern suburbs. Good beds, but pillows need replacement. Easy access to several affordable and reliable restaurants.

Room Tip: May have to pay a bit more for room with coffee maker, though coffee in office is (weak but) free.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
redroof188, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Chicago - Northbrook / Deerfield, responded to this review, April 18, 2012
Thank you for your kind words! We are in the process of replacing some of our soft goods and pillows are definitely on the list. Thanks again.
Effingham, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012

What an unexpected pleasant surprise! I hate to get a hotel for such a short trip but the weather dictated that I get one. The room was clean and well laid out with good working space. With tax my bill for one night was $54.87, at that price I don’t need a free breakfast, work out room or pool. The staff was friendly and it was easy check in & out. What more could you ask for?

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

LOCATION- So, this property sits right off the expressway and right next a Bally Total Fitness. It's a little off in the deep so keep your eyes open for the big "Red Roof Inn" sign.

PROPERTY- The check in was easy and fast. We were givien a room right next to the front desk. That was perfect considering we were only staying one night. The was ample parking too. The outside of the buidling was a little worn. The front desk area had FREE coffee, a computer for guest use, and attraction, dining, and shopping brochures.

ROOM - The room was nicely updated! Very cool lamps and lighting. Had an old school motel feel, loved it. We had a room with a refridgerator, microwave, safe, and coffee maker. These are NOT standard and you have to pay a little extra for a room like this. The bathroom was tiny, but the shower felt great! Not enough towels and no iron and ironing board in the room. You had to get one from the front desk. Bed was comfortable, needed better pillows.

CHECK OUT - This is where we experienced the problem. So we were using a FREE NIGHT certificate to cover the cost of our room that we received from another manager at the Red Roof Inn in downtown Chicago. The person that checked us out (he seemed like a manager) wasn't aware and I told him that young lady that checked us in took it and put it in our file. He didn't want to look for it until I asked him to! Then once he found it, he questioned it! Reading it over and over, turning in backwards and forwards, and then asked where I got it from! I was appalled! But there was nothing he could do since it was a valid certificate and signed by a supervisor with her card attached. He said "Ok, you're good." Then I asked for a reciept and he said "for what?" REALLY?! And I explained that I like to have reciepts for all my hotel stays. He relunctantly gave me one and we left. Personally, I just think he had an attitude because we didn't have to pay for the room and he wasn't expecting that. OH WELL!

Overall, it was a decent stay...would I go back? Maybe.

Room Tip: Go for the superior room if you think you may need a fridge and microwave
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

This Inn recently changed owners and we're not sure if that will affect the property. During our stay we noted that our room had recently been remodeled, so it is probably better than usual. The KS room is small but has a desk area. The bathroom sink is located in the room, near the "open" closet. The shower was older - stained but clean. There is a mini-fridge, microwave, and safe in the room.

The Inn was somewhat tricky to find since it does not sit near the street, but rather at the back of a strip mall shopping center - behind a free-standing restaurant called George's What's Cooking. Red Roof Inn customers receive a 10% discount at George's, which serves fantastic breakfasts.

Rooms on one side of the building face the shopping center; the other side faces the freeway. Be sure to ask for a room NOT overlooking the freeway, which is quite noisy 24/7.

Given that the RRI was half the price of the nearby Marriott options, it was a clean and cheap option worth considering.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not overlook the freeway
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Red Roof Inn Chicago - Northbrook / Deerfield? Share your experiences!