“Good, helpful inn at excellent price” 4 of 5 stars

Red Roof Inn Chicago - Northbrook / Deerfield
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   340 South Waukegan Road, Deerfield, IL 60015   |
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Deerfield
Grapevine, Texas
“Good, helpful inn at excellent price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

Older inn, with exterior entrances. Very clean, good facilities, and a really helpful staff. Great location, near I-94 and Chicago's northern suburbs. Good beds, but pillows need replacement. Easy access to several affordable and reliable restaurants.

Room Tip: May have to pay a bit more for room with coffee maker, though coffee in office is (weak but) free.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
redroof188, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Chicago - Northbrook / Deerfield, responded to this review, April 18, 2012
Thank you for your kind words! We are in the process of replacing some of our soft goods and pillows are definitely on the list. Thanks again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Effingham, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012

What an unexpected pleasant surprise! I hate to get a hotel for such a short trip but the weather dictated that I get one. The room was clean and well laid out with good working space. With tax my bill for one night was $54.87, at that price I don’t need a free breakfast, work out room or pool. The staff was friendly and it was easy check in & out. What more could you ask for?

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

LOCATION- So, this property sits right off the expressway and right next a Bally Total Fitness. It's a little off in the deep so keep your eyes open for the big "Red Roof Inn" sign.

PROPERTY- The check in was easy and fast. We were givien a room right next to the front desk. That was perfect considering we were only staying one night. The was ample parking too. The outside of the buidling was a little worn. The front desk area had FREE coffee, a computer for guest use, and attraction, dining, and shopping brochures.

ROOM - The room was nicely updated! Very cool lamps and lighting. Had an old school motel feel, loved it. We had a room with a refridgerator, microwave, safe, and coffee maker. These are NOT standard and you have to pay a little extra for a room like this. The bathroom was tiny, but the shower felt great! Not enough towels and no iron and ironing board in the room. You had to get one from the front desk. Bed was comfortable, needed better pillows.

CHECK OUT - This is where we experienced the problem. So we were using a FREE NIGHT certificate to cover the cost of our room that we received from another manager at the Red Roof Inn in downtown Chicago. The person that checked us out (he seemed like a manager) wasn't aware and I told him that young lady that checked us in took it and put it in our file. He didn't want to look for it until I asked him to! Then once he found it, he questioned it! Reading it over and over, turning in backwards and forwards, and then asked where I got it from! I was appalled! But there was nothing he could do since it was a valid certificate and signed by a supervisor with her card attached. He said "Ok, you're good." Then I asked for a reciept and he said "for what?" REALLY?! And I explained that I like to have reciepts for all my hotel stays. He relunctantly gave me one and we left. Personally, I just think he had an attitude because we didn't have to pay for the room and he wasn't expecting that. OH WELL!

Overall, it was a decent stay...would I go back? Maybe.

Room Tip: Go for the superior room if you think you may need a fridge and microwave
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

This Inn recently changed owners and we're not sure if that will affect the property. During our stay we noted that our room had recently been remodeled, so it is probably better than usual. The KS room is small but has a desk area. The bathroom sink is located in the room, near the "open" closet. The shower was older - stained but clean. There is a mini-fridge, microwave, and safe in the room.

The Inn was somewhat tricky to find since it does not sit near the street, but rather at the back of a strip mall shopping center - behind a free-standing restaurant called George's What's Cooking. Red Roof Inn customers receive a 10% discount at George's, which serves fantastic breakfasts.

Rooms on one side of the building face the shopping center; the other side faces the freeway. Be sure to ask for a room NOT overlooking the freeway, which is quite noisy 24/7.

Given that the RRI was half the price of the nearby Marriott options, it was a clean and cheap option worth considering.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not overlook the freeway
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

Hard to find and poor signage along Waukegan road. I drove up and down the road 3 times before I found the entrance. The area had experienced a large area power outage the night before. No power at the Inn. No lights, AC, or hot water, the front desk phone and computer were down. The clerk was very nice in a difficult situation, and was unable to check guests in. I was in town for a funeral, so I asked to change for the wake in the lobby bathroom. During the 5 minutes I was inthe bathroom, with a flashlight, an upset guest started an altercation with the clerk in the lobby. From what I heard the clerk remained very professional. by the time I decided it was safe to come out to the Lobby, 3 Deerfield police had reported to the scene. I did not stay at the Red Roof, but with a local. The local told me that the Red Roof is frequently in the local newspaper in the police blotter section, for various infractions of the guests and activities in the parking lot.

booked through expedia, and they were very difficult about refunding a cancellation due to a power outage. The outage was still in effect two days later when I left the Chicago area.

Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2011

I always stay in this hotel when i come in to visit my family is a great location. The staff in this hotel is great, they always make me feel like I'm at home. Also prices for this hotel are a bargain for the location. Each time I come in new updates done in the rooms. This stay my room had a coffee maker in the business room. I would definitely come back to this location.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Grapevine, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2010

My husband and I had never stayed at a Red Roof Inn before a trip last summer to Chicago and Milwaukee. We booked this one in Deerfield, outside of Chicago, because of the proximity to Arlington Heights (where we had been to Frontier Days) and the highway because we were heading to Milwaukee. We chose this hotel, in all honesty, because it was so inexpensive ($70 with tax on 4th of July weekend). Red Roof is definitely a “no-frills” hotel – no amenities like shampoo or coffee. But, the room was clean and comfortable and for the price, hard to beat.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Red Roof Inn Chicago - Northbrook / Deerfield? Share your experiences!