“Friendly, great service, "homey" hotel--I will return!” 4 of 5 stars

Family Fun Package
Ranked #1 of 6 hotels in Deerfield
GreenLeadersBronze level
Silver Spring, Maryland
“Friendly, great service, "homey" hotel--I will return!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I travel regularly to the Riverwoods/Deerfield area on business and have stayed at three different hotels in the area, looking to find my favorite, so far, this one is it. I've stayed at the Embassy Suites North Shore three times now, each time for three nights, and I have to say that it fits the bill perfectly for me.

The good:
* Each and every employee that I've encountered has been friendly and helpful. In particular, the shuttle drivers (morning and evening) have been wonderful: friendly and kind. I've relied on these gentlemen to drive me to my office and pick me up, and they've generally been very reliable. They've even given me tips to pick up a quick dinner and have offered recommendations (good ones!) as well. They are doing a great job for Embassy Suites. There is also a lovely woman at the front desk in the mornings who has been very friendly and helpful as well.
* I usually ask for an extra early check in so I can head here straight from the airport and freshen up before heading to the office, and they have always been able to accommodate me, which I appreciate.
* I love the "old style" Embassy Suites layout, with the "river" and koi fish rambling through the center. I'm sad that they are renovating to change this, but I understand that some things have to change! I'm looking forward to my next visit later this month, when I can see the results of the renovation!
* The layout of the suites is good -- I can work at the desk and watch the TV at the same time (I try to fit in work in the evenings). Wireless Internet has been good and reliable as well.
* The pool and hot tub look inviting and I always bring my suit, but I'm also always too busy to swim!
* Beds are comfortable -- I do get a good night's sleep here.
* Breakfast is okay -- I usually get an omelet a couple of times during my stay. Definitely better than the Holiday Inn Express down the street.
* Managers Reception--I'm not a big drinker, but I've stopped by this a couple of times. Once they were testing out potential new signature drinks for the new renovated bar/restaurant. That was fun! I hope my choice won!
* I've eaten at the restaurant twice. It was acceptable for a hotel restaurant, if a bit pricey (then again, I did order steak).
* The room service was serviceable--the food arrived relatively quickly and was hot. Again, it was pricey, but what room service isn't pricey?

Areas that could be improved:
* The breakfast could be better -- in particular I find the "liquid eggs" mixture that they use for the omelets a bit off-putting, and they use quite a bit of oil! A change to "real" eggs would definitely be more appetizing.

I'm a definite fan of this Embassy Suites and I look forward to my next visit (in a couple of weeks) when I can see how the renovation has come along.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Brad H, General Manager at Embassy Suites North Shore / Deerfield, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear Sarahste,

Thank you for your very kind words regarding your recent visits to the hotel. It was good to hear that the team has delivered warm and friendly service. I am also glad to hear that you enjoyed the signature cocktail contest and I hope your suggested drink was selected as the winner!

We are very excited about the changes with the renovation and I'm excited to have you come back to see the progress.

All the best,

311 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I'm a longtime advocate of Embassy Suites properties. However, my family stayed at the Deerfield, Illinois (near Chicago) property this past weekend as part of our son's hockey tournament and I could not get over how hard some of the managers worked to ensure that the location is anti-family. At every turn, we were made to feel uncomfortable, our children had managers following them everywhere, scolding them, and they actually called the local police to enforce Deerfield's curfew for children under 15 and intimidate the guests. A really terrible experience and the manager who looks somewhat like Niles Crane should find employment at somewhere where kids do not frequent.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Brad H, General Manager at Embassy Suites North Shore / Deerfield, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
Dear Aaron P -

I sincerely apologize for your experience. We love families at the Embassy Suites and welcome them with open arms. Our property is ideally designed to host families with our suites, complimentary breakfast and evening reception.

This particular weekend we did have a hockey group at the hotel and we were glad to host the teams. After 10pm it is imperative that the hotel is calm and quiet in order for guests to be able to rest. Unfortunately, there were a few situations in which parents were not supervising their children and it was disturbing other guests. Our goal is to provide a good experience to all of our guests and we did ask the children and parents that were out in the hallways and atrium to assist with keeping the noise levels down. We also have a wonderful relationship with the local peace officers and they stop by the hotel often and they did stop by after 11pm that evening to help us ensure that the guests will get a good nights rest.

Fortunately with our action to address a very small group of guests we did minimize the impact to the guests that were sleeping.

I apologize for your experience and thank you for your feedback. We will work to determine how we can address these situations in the future.

Bangalore, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

This hotel is very well placed near 294 expressway and the Walgreens corporate headquarters. So anyone having business at Walgreens should come here. Nice hot breakfast and the Manager's special evening snack/ drinks between 5:30 PM -7:30 PM. The hotel offers free shuttle service anywhere within 3.5 miles which includes the Northbrook mall, Deerfield DMV and Metra station. I have been staying here for exact one month and will return !

Room Tip: All rooms are the same.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear MonisAziz,

Thank your for staying with us and also for your positive comments regarding our location, accommodations and service. I also sincerely appreciate you staying with us for one month!

We have many guests like you that do return often and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

All the best,

3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Stayed here one night while in the Deerfield, IL area for business. I found the hotel to be a standard Embassy Suites. Nothing great - but in fairness nothing at all bad either. The room was ok - seemed a bit dated, but relatively clean and that was what mattered to me. The front desk did arrange a cab for me the next morning which I am often skepical about but sure enough they came through and the cab arrived as promised. I would probably stay here again while in the area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear HudsonScooterman,

Thank you for your feedback. We are currently undergoing a significant renovation to greatly improve the hotel.

My hope is that you will return after the renovation to see the positive changes.

Warm regards,

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

My spouse and I have stayed here several times, and it is our mini vacation spot as we go to the botanic gardens a couple times a year.

We love it because its a mini tropical oasis with Koi fish, and it feels vacationy even though we are an hour away! We love the breakfast! It's our little getaway!

Most recent visit was good/not so good.

1. The planned remodeling.
There's enough business penguin hotels in this area already. Now it's going to become more businessy, and they're getting rid of the fish.

2. The room service, dollar for dollar was the worst money I ever spent.
We ordered at a Sunday at 6:30, a grilled cheese, Cobb salad, and chicken wings.
Hoping to eat during the Simpsons.. Then hoping to eat during Bobs burgers, then hoping to eat during family guy. As the credits were rolling on family guy, we got our cold grilled cheese... Needed to be microwaved, the hot Cobb salad, with warm dressing, and the weirdest chicken wings I ever saw. All for only $58. The girl who dropped it off was very nice.

3. The pool and hot tub, were great as usual! No complaints.

4. Comfortable, clean rooms. Stomach issues from weird meal.
5. Yay redemption breakfast!!

How can bacon have no flavor!!??!
It's bacon! It literally had no flavor, and the pieces were as big as a fingernail. (To be fair my spouse thought the bacon was ok)
The scrambled eggs were ice cold, I could have put them in my coffee to cool it off!
French toast was good! Bagels were good and thick.

We truly love this hotel for the most part, but were a little disappointed overall. We don't want our little tropical Chicago to go away, but the briefcase model I guess will appeal to the loosen the tie, have a whiskey on the rocks as mergers and hedge funds make my $179 dollars on weeknights seem like a bargain.

Don't kill the koi! We love them! Especially the black lurker..

• Stayed October 2012
Brad H, General Manager at Embassy Suites North Shore / Deerfield, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
Dear TheFBH -

First things first, the Koi will be very well taken care of and we have a home that will be even better than what they have enjoyed over the past several years. You may not know but Koi can live to be over 200 years old.

Thank you for your comments. I am glad to report that I have gotten to the bottom of the challenge with room service and will be reach out to you to provide resolution. I was glad to hear that apart from the delayed room service you enjoyed your visit.

Please do visit again and please let me know if I may assist in any other way.

Warm regards,

Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Our recent travel this weekend was for a conference and we wanted to stay an extra day in Chicago. Went to the north shore to look at parks and marinas on Sheridan drive, hotwired a hotel and got this property just off of 294. Easy off and easy on, but went to check in and was reminded that hotwire doesn't guarantee the type of room you want, so we got a smoking room when we checked in. I appreciate smokers as trying to kick the habit, but there was no way that we could stay in a smoking room....so we asked at the desk to be switched, and they did so without complaint or issue. That was a service plus for me, as they equally could have told me to lump it or leave it....but they didn't. The hotel was really easy to get around from, train only a few blocks if you want to take it downtown, the Edens and the Tri- state only a stones throw. Tried the resturant, the bar, the managers get together and the breakfast in the am....all were very very nice. If you can get a good rate, the hotel staff here want to take care of you and want you to come back....and we will be back.

Room Tip: opposite corner from the desk, on the second floor nets you a easy stair walk to the main floor, min...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear BGould1001 -

Thank you for the very kind words regarding how the front desk team handled the situation with your reservation. We sincerely beleive that we always need to do our best to "take care of the guest." It seems like a simple phrase but when the associates think of it in all situations it can really make a difference in the guest's experience.

I am very glad that you joined us and my hope is that you will visit again soon. Please feel free to contact me if there is any way that I may assist in the future.

Genereal Manager
Pinetop-Lakeside, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

The level of service at this property is unacceptable, particularly compared to the outstanding stays we have experienced recently at Embassy Suites Phoenix - North. Details:

1.) Not greeted as a Diamond Level honors member or thanked for my business at check-in.

2.) Electronic door lock on our room (201) only works sporadically. We are on our third set of key cards with no improvement. No offer to actually repair the &%*#**^(&ing thing has been made.

3.) At breakfast this morning:

a.) Omelets were pathetic. The "cook" is using rings on the griddle, not omelet pans, and the "egg" mix is so thin and runny that the resulting product is also thin. Lack of true omelet capability resulted in folded scrambled eggs with fillings spilling out on the plate when served. The quantity of ham the cook put in the omelet was insufficient to even taste it, especially since the ham used was minced into 1/8" cubes.

b.) There was no silverware available at the buffet line for at least five minutes. No support for the one guy serving the line was in evidence. (I use the term buffet loosely, as this guy was rationing the food - no self-service here!)

c.) The coffee urns were both empty, and people had been tilting them to get the dregs out for over five minutes. When I finally spotted an employee in a gray jacket, he acted as if I were being unreasonable in bothering him with the problem. Hew said "I'll makes some more." Point is, no monitoring of the situation probably resulting in at least another ten minutes with no coffee.

All in all, a performance at a level consistent with the general ethos in Chicago: "Service? We don't need no stinking service. We can fill up the place without it!"

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear David G,

Thank you for staying with us and for letting me know about the challenges. I was so glad that I was able to speak with you after the disapointing start to your stay and my hope is that the remainder of your visit was much more enjoyable.

I have taken to heart your comments and what you experienced should not have occurred and for that I sincerely apologize.

Please let me know if I may assist in any way either now or in the future.

Brad Harvey

Been to Embassy Suites North Shore / Deerfield? Share your experiences!