“Not bad for a comfortable room.” 3 of 5 stars

Super 8 De Kalb
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   800 West Fairview Drive, DeKalb, IL 60115-8770   |
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in DeKalb
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Not bad for a comfortable room.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

A friend of mine and I were driving to Dubuque, Iowa, for a weekend excursion. On our way there, we stayed overnight at this Super 8 in DeKalb. It was in a good location off I-88 and was fairly reasonably priced.

We arrived around 10 p.m. and had a smooth check-in. Our room on the second floor was comfortable and fairly clean for the most part. The bed was comfortable enough, but I kinda had a feeling that the bed sheets might not have been changed before we arrived. (I thought I noticed some other person's hair on the sheets. Some people might be really freaked out by that, but I didn't care too much. I was just too tired and fell asleep shortly after the lights were out and I closed my eyes.)

Everything seemed to work okay in the room, but for some reason, one of the lamps had been unplugged before we arrived. The bathroom was okay (pretty small, but the sink is out in the open). When I took a shower, the water in the tub didn't drain very well.

The hotel also has a small pool (no hot tub) and a continental breakfast with cereal, waffles (not the make-your-own Belgian kind though), donuts, and juice. Not too bad, but we decided to grab fast-food breakfast on our way out of DeKalb because we wanted hot eggs and meat. The check-out process was quick and easy.

In general, we didn't have any major problems at this facility. It was definitely average. I wouldn't mind staying here again if this is all that's available (and the price is right), but guests should not expect anything fancy at all.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Peoria, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

My niece had a competition at NIU so we wanted to stay somewhere close and affordable. The pool was definitely the best part of the stay, and honestly the reason we booked it in the first place. The kids loved the pool. It is small but well maintained. The rooms definitely need to be updated. The beds were like sleeping on boards and the pillows were the worst I've ever slept on. It was almost like not having one at all! I agree with the other reviews that they need to have more than one staff member working and the breakfast was definitely lacking. For the pool, however, I would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Clarkston
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

The hotel desperately needs to be updated and cleaned. Bed was comfortable. Breakfast was a joke. Need to have more than one person running the place. To pricey for what you got.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Super 8

Been to Super 8 De Kalb? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Super 8 De Kalb

Address: 800 West Fairview Drive, DeKalb, IL 60115-8770
Location: United States > Illinois > DeKalb
Bar / Lounge Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Restaurant Swimming Pool Wheelchair access
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in DeKalb
Hotel Class:2 star — Super 8 De Kalb 2*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Expedia and Tingo so you can book your Super 8 De Kalb reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Super Eight De Kalb
De Kalb Super 8
De Kalb Super Eight

If you own or manage Super 8 De Kalb, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.