“I like staying at the Super 8 motel, but I don't like when...” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead and Save 15%
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Danville

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
WAUWATOSA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

We arrived at approximately 8pm, there wasn't anyone at the desk but a sign stating they were helping another guest and would return shortly. Ok, only waited a few minutes and a young woman arrived at the desk, she didn't say ANYTHING, not even a hello! I told her we had a reservation and gave her my name and informed her I had a dog with me. (The pet policy on the Super 8 website states there is a $25 charge PER STAY for a pet) I asked what the pet charge would be and she said $10 per night for a small dog. I asked "you charge according to size?" She said "yes, small, medium and large" I do not know if this is a new policy or if they decided to charge differently because there was a dog show nearby and many show dogs staying here. She handed me my credit card and room keys and told me my room was "down the hall to the right". So much for making us feel welcome! No info offered regarding breakfast, laundry, internet etc. After we got unloaded and settled in, I tried to use the internet on my netbook. I was connected with a "very low" signal and could not get past the home page, I returned to the desk..........no one there, just the sign. I decided to take my dog out while waiting and observed the desk person sitting in her car. Returned to the desk, after trying for another 30 minutes to use the internet, and very loud music coming from woman's phone. I informed her I was having a problem with the internet, she said I needed to click on connect on the home page, I told her it was "connected" but there was no "connect" to click on. She told me there wasn't anything wrong with the internet because her phone was working fine (???!!). I then took my netbook to the desk to show her, she said maybe because there was a storm coming in. Again she told me her phone was working fine, I told her my phone was working "fine" too (these are entirely different modems!) Then she told me (sarcastically) it must be a problem with my device. There was no offer of a phone number to contact the company with the internet contract, no offer to look into the problem. I don't know maybe she was getting mad because I was interrupting her polishing her nails! After finding the name of the internet company and looking them up on my phone I was able to get the problem resolved myself.
The housekeeping staff was very pleasant and accommodating.
The room was clean, and in working order.
On our second day we returned to our room and for over 3 hours straight there was a dog in the next room that barked, howled and whined non-stop! I informed the person at the front desk and she tried calling the owners cell phone to no avail. I know this isn't the hotels fault and the staff member did make an effort but ................after 2 hours I started looking for another hotel to stay at! This hotel does have a policy that no dogs can be left unattended in the rooms but apparently they can not enforce it. I am on the road about 40 weekends a year with my show dog, staying at hotels with other show dogs, and have never encountered this before.
As I was getting into bed on the second night, I hit my ankle (hard) on something sticking out the side of the bed! In the middle of the side of the bed, under the bedskirt, there was a piece of steel bedframe about 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 inches jutting out. I did not tear open the skin but was left with a very bruised and swollen ankle for the next several days! I was able to cover the steel for the remainder of my stay with a roll of toilet tissue to prevent further injury.
Upon trying to check out of the hotel, I passed by the desk several times while loading my car. No one there, just THE SIGN. I finally couldn't wait any longer and went looking for somebody. I found a couple of staff in the laundry room and asked if they knew where the front desk person was. One of the woman said she would be right there. She came after a couple of minutes and said she was sorry but she had a lot of work to do! From my point, the GUEST is the reason she is there and I shouldn't be made to feel I am imposing just checking out.
I did contact Super 8 after my return home and the manager did give me a call back. She did seemed concerned when I expressed my dissatisfaction with the staff and said she would talk to the staff. Regarding the dog issue, she stated she would have the staff remind guests when they come in about not leaving dogs unattended. She also stated she would check out the bedframe issue herself. I appreciate the call and interest in addressing these problems.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Pekin, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

stayed a couple of weeks here cheaper rate than other hotels in area you get what you pay for, 1st week room was not that bad ,carpet kind of dirty. The second week it took three rooms to find a clean one other room had bugs . food crumbs,and hairs under sheets, water barely drips out of shower in all rooms . Breakfast is very basic hotel is some what dirty overall and out dated. we will be staying at another hotel in future

Room Tip: spend a little more and stay next door
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

I was a bit hesitant to stay at this hotel and again in Danville, but we had no other options. I do not consider this chain of hotels to be of high quality. But if you want to save a few dollars this is the hotel for you. Earlier in our trip we stayed at a different hotel, across the street, but it was just a little better. Maybe it is the location.

The room was clean and the bathroom had some newer fixtures, but other than that this was a standard budget hotel room. The only in-room amenity was a coffee maker. The A/C worked ok but we had to move the overly long and smelly curtains out of the way to get airflow into the room. The beds were worn and the latch style lock on the door was broken and nonfunctional. The bathroom fan was so loud it hurt our ears.

The $30 difference in price as compared to a hotel across the street (see my Best Western review) was most evident in the clientele. Several questionable (I’m being polite) persons stayed here. $30 can make a difference for many. I would have been very reluctant to stay here if I had children with me. The worn out, beat up and garbage strewn parking lot only added to the quality of this fine establishment.

The other major difference; the continental breakfast. I think Super 8 made a trip to the local bakery and cleared off the day old shelves. Standard coffee and one spoiled apple added to our breakfast delight! I don't know if any of the other locations, i.e. Interstate exits, in Danville are any better, but based on our two experiences I would stay elsewhere if I could. Fill up with gas and keep on moving!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Super 8 Danville? Share your experiences!