“Great personal attention” 4 of 5 stars

Wheaton, Illinois
19 attraction reviews
“Great personal attention”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

This museum has a huge number of items and was very interesting. I arrived right after they opened on a Saturday morning, paid my $4 admission fee and was surprised to be given a volunteer tour guide that took me on a personal tour for over an hour. The museum is much larger than it looks and covers every US war from the Revolutionary War through the present. A huge number of scrapbooks from soldiers are excellent primary sources for research.

Visited March 2014

San Diego, California
“SPARKY'S LEGACY”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

This fine museum honoring Vermilion County men and women of all our wars is a living tribute to Harold "Sparky" Songer, the moving force behind its creation and its improvement over time. I am perhaps biased because there is a display honoring my father and three of his brothers who served in WWII. My father was killed in the Battle of the Bulge near Bastogne and is at final rest in Luxembourg. Another uncle - Hank Shouse, also a WWII vet -- prepared the display.

Sparky, a WWII vet, died earlier this month (January 2014). The VCWM is his legacy.

Visited January 2014
Danville, Il
7 attraction reviews
“A Walk Through the Past”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

This museum is well laid out and is also a gorgeous building. The building is historical which adds to the experience. Danville, IL has many local heros in the wars and some of their stories are told via the displays. The museum is run completely by volunteers and was built with donations. It is truly a place to visit.

Visited September 2013
Danville, Illinois
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

This war museum rivals some of the country's best. It has so much information and the displays are so well done. It is operated solely on volunteers and donations. I recommend a visit for any history buff.

Visited August 2013
Kettering, Ohio
8 attraction reviews
“I AM HUMBLED IN AWE”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Danville, Illinois is the home to THE VERMILION COUNTY WAR MUSEUM. There are two floors with more than 5,000 exhibits ranging from the Revolutionary War to Iraqi Freedom. There are 4,000 books, hundreds of uniforms from all branches of the military and all wars. Our guide proudly informed, entertained, intrigued as he ushered his audience through various exhibits. I occasionally would wander on my own and listen to the spirit of America, there, pulsating with peaceful strength. I was gripped by the hush of breath of heroes and martyrs. As I fingered uniforms, I gently nudged the essence of our Freedom. I was humbled by the magnitude of loss. I stood in a shrine of men and women who gave me the ability/freedom to sit and type my selfish thoughts, to select a fantastic restaurant for dinner, to pop into any establishment in the country and chat with free merchants or volunteers, buy a new phone with no censor, watch "I Love Lucy" or eat pizza all night long, if I so desire. The men and women, who unselfishly perished in Military campaigns extended the freedom to learn and work to immigrants, such as my Italian Grandparents. Soldiers, Prisoners of War, those Missing In Action, Veterans and casualties all strengthened the Statue of Liberty's arms to embrace those seeking life and liberty.

Thank you, Mr. Johnson for our extreme knowledge, participation and enthusiasm. I believe that you are the backbone of The Vermilion County War Museum Society.

I will share the words (more lengthy piece given to me to share) of Harry Johnson, a World War II Veteran and Curator/Guide of the Museum. Mr. Johnson wrote: "NO Glory" The Museum is not here to glorify or perpetuate war...Please honor the aura and wonderment of the Museum as you view the exhibits, realizing that you have seen a lot of history!"

Danville, Illinois is historic, friendly. My impression is that there are no strangers and that there are friendly faces willing to share bits of themselves with a visitor. A visitor will most certainly appreciate the hospitality, sincerity and generosity of the spirit of the Museum and Danville.

Visited November 2012