“Overnight Stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Danville
Mascoutah, Illinois
“Overnight Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We spent one night, stop over stay. Very nice hotel, staff helpful, and very well kept hotel. The breakfast area was modern, clean and the fare was typical. My one complaint, the hotel is outside the main part of town and there is only one restaurant in walking distance. I would stay again if I'm traveling that way again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I break my reviews into sections giving 1 -> 5 stars for each section. Then I average all the stars to get a final rating. Since many hotels excel at some things and not others, I believe this is the most fair means of rating a hotel. I also rate hotels without any bias to location A hotel in Danville, IL is reviewed with the same criteria as one in Manhattan. Being in a certain location shouldn't be a reason for excuses.

Here we go:

Appearance:
Decent and nice, although a bit bland. Looks like most newer building in the world. Nothing offensive, nothing particularly beautiful. One bad thing was a lack of landscaping. Pretty much none. A few bushes here and there a few plants, and some grass. All of this set in a sea of ugly parking lot.

Rating: 3 stars (average)

Lobby/Interior
Nice, nicer than the outside. Clean and modern. Old B&W photos of Danville (In it's heyday years, makes the town seem even more depressing now) on the walls. Very nice overall.

Rating: 4 Stars (Above Average)

Room Appearance:
Also nice, quite clean and modern. Real hangers in the closet, many plugs for devices (really good) and a nice bench at the end of the bed. The drawbacks were very dark wood, windows that won't open and the existence of a desk chair that sits way too low for the desk (why do most hotels have this issue?). The cups were throw away cups instead of being real glass and ceramic. The room lacked a bathtub which I don't care about but some might, and the fridge made way too much noise (also an issue with hotels). In general very nice, but enough weird stuff and not nice stuff to knock the rating down to average.

Rating: 3 Stars (Average)

Customer service:
The desk personel were super nice and helpful. Always friendly and said "hi" each time I entered the hotel. I didn't have any issues so I am not sure how well they handled problems, but largely perfect in this category.

Rating: 5 Stars (Excellent)

Maid Service:
A bit suspect here. Nothing not clean, but more than once they got rid of all my stuff, shampoo, soap, towels, without replacing it. That is a big faux pas for me.

Rating: 2 Stars (Below Average)

Breakfast:
Meh, but not awful. Better than the competitors in the area. Still very little fruit and I'm pretty sure not a single vegetable. Not even a potato. Breakfast followed suit with some national menu that Hampton Inn follows. Very annoying. Still I escaped without having biscuits and gravy! That is a plus. Cereal as usual was stale, orange juice is slightly colored water from a vending machine (should be illegal to call that orange juice) and coffee was below even Hampton Inn's standards.

Rating: 3 Stars (Average)

Environment:
The only complete failure here. This hotel, boldly washes your sheets and duvet EVERY FREAKIN Day. I had to ask them to stop. They ignore their own policy of washing only towels left on the floor. And they remove all soap and shampoo every day. The breakfast room is full of styrofoam and plastic throw aways and there is zero recycling and composting. They only plus were the CFL light bulbs (hello, anyone in the mid-west hear of LED?).

Rating 1 Stars (Failure)

Value:
Actually this hotel is pricy for the area. Should be priced around $95 to be a good deal, but was around $125. I'd say the value is below average.

Rating 2 Stars (Below Average)

Total Rating: 2.88 Stars rounded up to 3.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Melissa T, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Danville, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Thank you for your review! We appreciate all the time you took and all the great details you gave! We hope we will see you again soon!

Wilmington, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

Pretty much your standard Hampton. It could have been four stars but for two things: the service staff gather early in the laundry room and chat it up, they can be heard down the hall. And, there is no place to have dinner. We settled for Big Boy, awful.

• Stayed June 2013
Melissa T, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Danville, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Thank you for your recent stay with us while in the Danville area! I appreciate you taking the time to give us some feedback about what would have made your stay even better. I'm passing your comments thru to our staff to remind them to make sure their morning greetings do not get too loud! I'm sorry if they disturbed you while you were here and we will take your comments as a tip of something we can work on to make us even better!

Hope we will see you again soon!

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

The hotel lobby, breakfast area, halls and rooms are all nicely designed and decorated. Overall the property was clean, with the exception of an obvious stain on the settee in my room (right or wrong, kind of makes you wonder what else they missed though?). The bed was very comfortable, sound from the hallway other rooms was minimal to none. There was an occasional train that came by blasting it's horn...thankfully one did not come by in the middle of the night. The wireless was extremely slow to the point of frustration. Thankfully this wasn't a business trip so the inconvenience was minimal. While I did not use the pool/exercise area everything seemed to be working and was well maintained. Counter staff was great providing us with a last minute tooth brush! Nice touch with the added electrical outlet unit on a nightstand. I'd rate it higher but the rate for this property at this location was high in my mind.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Melissa T, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Danville, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Thank you for your recent stay while in the Danville area! We are currently looking into the options available to us in this area so that we might be able to provide a quicker internet for our guests and I apologize that the current speed was frustrating for you. Luckily the train traffic near us does not normally run during the night time hours, we are glad it didn't disturb your sleep! Thanks again for choosing us, and taking the time to fill out a review. We hope to see you again the next time you are in the Danville area!

Metairie, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

We always stay here when in Danville. Great hotel. Fitness Room is ok. Free Internet is a big plus. Complimentary breakfast is also very good and you get a snack to go. You should use the wake up call or alarm in room. Don't use your smartphone's alarm since this hotel is very near the time zone border. My phone switches times throughout the night.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Thanks so much for your review! We are glad you chose us on your recent trip through our area and we hope to see you again soon!

Carpentersville, Illinois, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Nice amenity wise, but the room was $160 a night because of a youth wrestling tournament in the area. Value wise it should be about $80 considering it is in Danville, IL. They also brought in the police to lecture the adults about watching their kids and allow no alcohol in the lobby or hallways. Not that people were going crazy, but sitting down talking so their kids could sleep in the rooms for the tournament the following day. The police were brought in at 9:00.

Again - nice enough place but they take advantage of being in the middle of nowhere.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Melissa T, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Danville, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! The dates that you stayed were indeed a special event time in our area which normally can cause a slight increase in price of our normal rates. Rates certainly differ according to market and our Danville area does have a strong corporate base which creates a large demand for hotel rooms here. We pride ourselves on being able to offer so many amenities and still maintain a competitive rate. I'm glad you enjoyed the amenities we offer!

We have a responsiblity to provide a great nights stay for all guests who choose us. We take that responsibility very seriously and provide Property Policies for all guests to review at check in during our busiest times. These policies set quiet hours, as well as outline our restrictions on unattended children and alcohol in public areas. In addition to our policies, our area does have laws concerning public intoxication. Our local police were patrolling all properties this particular weekend to enforce such local laws. I'm sorry that the presence of the local police dampered your stay but hope you can understand our responsibility to maintain a certain environment that is acceptable to all guests.

Elgin, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

First point-everything and everyone was great-except for Melissa.

Melissa feels it is necessary to call the police 3 times in one evening on her guests rather than being able to handle the situation herself or use a security service. (It must be great to have the good people of Danville foot the bill for your abuse of the Danville PD.)

The hotel was booked out to several groups as a recommendation from the IKWF (Illinois Kids Wrestling Federation) for a tournament involving 8,9 and 10 year olds.

First Call: Shockingly, there were several children running through the halls at the hotel. Melissa chased them all down-I saw one little boy of about 8 years old with a purple mohawk being berated by Melissa in the hallways along with the guest next to us at about 8:30 p.m. His parents were not present. (Not from our group.) The police had to come through the hotel to "round up the kids" and send them to their rooms. My kids were in a room with another adult watching tv. I went to get my children personally and bring them back to my room.

Second Call: I reserved a suite, as I had 2 adults and 2 children. I was given a room with one king sized bed. They moved us to a double with 2 queens, but had no suites available. Melissa took my reservation, but told me she didn't remember. She refused to take any responsibility for her mistake whatsover and referred only to what was in the computer. I know I remember the call and I was excited about getting a suite. I also know that I told her there were 4 of us-so why would I reserve a room with one bed. When my husband and her argued about it, she said he "had been drinking and was being beligerant." Several witnesses from other groups who didn't know us said he was neither. The cops came, spoke to my husband, and also concluded that he had neither been drinking nor out of control in any way. They actually stated the call was a complete waste of their time and left.

Third Call: Several groups of adults were enjoying the lobby area. Melissa turned the lights on and off and yelled at the group that they weren't the only ones in the hotel and that it was time for bed!!! Upset, everyone left. One small group, including my husband decided to go outside in the frigid air-they were told they couldn't drink in the public area of the building. They each had a beer in their hands and were smoking. She came outside and yelled at them so they left. Apparently, some of them decided to go into the conference room to finish up their conversations (it was open 24 hours.) Melissa found them and yelled at them again. (My older son had snuck down there to check on the parents and Melissa shouted "get that kid!!!" He ran back upstairs and quietly snuck back into bed-I was fast asleep. My son is 13 years old and this was about 10:30 at night. So he wasn't a toddler running around loose in the hotel.) They all decided they would then just go to bed. About 15 minutes later, there is a knock at my door. It's the cops again! We were told that if anyone left our room for the remainder of the night, even to have a cigarette, go to another room, or leave the hotel, we would be taken to jail. We were in bed with the lights out, so none of that was an issue for us, but thought it was strange to be told that we were being confined to our rooms!

Apparently, there are very strict rules at this hotel that state you can't have alcohol in any area of the hotel other than your room. But if you congregate in your room and speak even at normal levels, it disturbs other guests. If you gather in the lobby, it disturbs other guests. If you go outside, where you aren't disturbing anyone, that is a problem. And if you try to find a quiet place away from everything that is a no-no as well. So don't drink or gather with friends in this hotel past 8:00 at night, or the cops will be called.

While I certainly understand that these people and even my husband weren't perhaps obeying the rules per se, they certainly weren't doing anything illegal, destructive, or hurtful to anyone else, yet Melissa decided it was quite important to contact the Danville PD on 3 occassions to solve her problems - even after the guests had all returned to their rooms for the night.

This wasn't just us. Melissa was rude and abusive to many other hotel guests in addition to us and went WAY beyond the call of duty. She is apparently a person who enjoys threatening children with "having them on video" or having the cops come and take them and/or their parents away. No thanks. I will choose to stay at a hotel where, as an adult, paying a pretty good sum of money for a stay there along with a larger group who spent a LOT of money to stay there, can enjoy myself as an adult. And by golly, shocking, that includes socializing with friends and drinking alcohol on a weekend trip and staying safetly in a hotel where no one is driving and the kids are safe.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Melissa T, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Danville, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
We are sorry that you were dissatisfied with our Property Policies during your recent stay. A copy of our Property Policy was sent to the group contact person for each group prior to their arrival so that everyone could review it before check in. This policy was also signed by all guests at check in. We have a responsibility to all guests here to give them a comfortable stay and to do so we are unable to allow alcohol in public areas, or unattended children and we must maintain a designated quiet time. In addition, our area does have laws concerning public intoxication and our local police department was out to provide support to many hotels that weekend. We conveyed this information in our Property Policy and were happy to cancel the reservation for any guests who did not choose to stay with us due to our policys. Once again, I apologize that we were unable to grant you the type of stay you desired while we worked to maintain the policy to assure our other guests could have the great stay they too deserved.

Melissa Taylor

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Danville? Share your experiences!