“Really good breakfast spot, going back for dinner” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #63 of 120 Restaurants in Crystal Lake
Cuisines: American, Ice Cream, Family Fare
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner
Description: Breakfast: Variety of Omelettes, Skillets, Benedits, Crepes, French Toast, Pancakes and More! Lunch: Take a bite from our large selection of delicious Sandwiches, Salads and Burgers! Dinner: Try our homestyle dinners including Bacon Mac & Cheese, Meatloaf Baked Fresh Daily, Bruschetta Chicken, just to name a few! Ice Cream: Classic Ice Cream Sundaes and Shakes! Great for after dinner or just for dessert! Catering: We offer a selection of catering options for Breakfast, Brunch and Lunch! Great for parties and meetings. Free Large Party Rooms Available! See your local Colonial Cafe for Fundraising Opportunities!
Crystal Lake, Illinois
“Really good breakfast spot, going back for dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

Went there to for a last minute breakfast with my daughter. I hadn't been to the new location (the old Bakers Square from years ago) at all and had only been to the old one once or twice. Why, you ask? Simple, this WAS strictly a kids place more than a place for the whole family. I don't recall them ever having a bar but I do remember a regular clown or family night. Probably what kept me from making it a regular spot.

The new place is pretty cool, full service bar, modern decor (I love the color changing hanging lights) and good food for all at reasonable prices.

Met my daughter there on a Thurs. morning for a quick breakfast. I beat her there and decided to get seated without her. I told the server I was meeting someone and she told me to just let her know if I wanted to order something. At first I was busy taking in all of the decor changes, it looked nothing like the old Colonial Cafe or the old Bakers Square. It was bright and open, clean and colorful. Since I was waiting longer than expected and it was cold I ordered a hot chocolate (see pic) to warm me up and make the server feel better. She just seemed like she wanted me to eat or drink something. The server was really good about checking on us and getting our order in. I was surprised at how fast the food came out, seemed like it should have been longer but the eggs were cooked right so the timing must have been good.

I have to admit to being surprised to see a full service bar, but it looked pretty cool. I swear the server was bringing the folks in the booth behind me some Blue Moons with orange slices. Sounded like some guys who just got done working a 3rd shift. Definitely a place I would check out for dinner (especially with Applebee's & TGI Fridays being gone) it has that casual fun feel to it.

Anyway back to breakfast, I had the veg head skillet. It was really tasty; seemed like it should be on the 'Be Fit' menu, must be the cheese that kept it from making the cut. I was happy to eat most of it, after all it had a lot of veggies:) the eggs were cooked just right and the potatoes were roasted nicely, good flavor without overpowering the rest of the plate. My daughter built her own omelette and she liked it so much she asked for a box so she could bring her leftovers home.

I would eat there again definitely; need to try dinner and check out the bar. Only downside is they close at 10 Sun - Thurs and 11 Fri & Sat. For me it would have to be an early dinner; it's not the über kid friendly place of yesteryear it is truly a family place with a little something for everyone and that's a good thing!

Visited February 2014

Cary, Illinois
“Always a coupon available.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Have had breakfast, lunch, and dinner here. Breakfast wasn't very good. They "forgot" to put ham in my ham and cheese omelette. Took a long time for waitress to come by and let her know as they were having a staff meeting with the wait staff. Hmmm. Shouldn't they do that earlier in the morning. It was 8:30 when I was there. Rather ironic poor service while there was a manager talking to them about what to work on. Even more ironic as our table was in view of their meeting table. The corn bread at dinner is tasty but only once in ten times have we received it with our meal. 75% of the time they forget to bring it. Otherwise it is brought after the meal or before. They do run specials and have frequent coins and broad menu. They have a room that can be partitioned off for meetings or parties.

Visited April 2013
Cary, Illinois
“Great place for breakfast!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We love to come here on Saturday's for breakfast. Very nice staff and fairly priced meals. We each like something different, but we always enjoy great food. You can count on timely service and be on your way!

Visited February 2013
Crystal Lake, Illinois
“The new decor is awful!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I just hate the decor in Crystal Lake of this restaurant. The lights that chage color give me a headache. I like the ice cream. The food is okay, but the environment creeps me out!

Visited December 2012
“lunch”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

coffee is great and desert also..food ok,nothing special..good for a late night snack,bit on the pricy side

Visited October 2012