“It's a hotel” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Chicago - Crystal Lake

You added Holiday Inn Chicago - Crystal Lake to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Chicago - Crystal Lake
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   800 South Route 31, & Three Oaks Rd, Crystal Lake, IL 60014   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Weekend Savings!
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Crystal Lake
lubbock, TX
“It's a hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Very quiet, which is not surprising considering it feels like a bummer. There's nothing specifically, just generally, it feels like a bummer. Room was okay, but here's a tip: A granite countertop and flat screen tv don't make up for the mold on the lampshades, and hair on the toilet. Again, quiet and slept well, room just felt like the update they did was equivalent to your grandma trying to be hip on the cheap.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
HICHICL_manager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago - Crystal Lake, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
So sorry that you felt that the hotel was not up your standards. We were very glad however to hear that you slept well. Generally, our guest are very pleased with the accomodations and it is regretable that you were not. We will continue to work on our product and services and hopefully will meet your your expectations. Thank you for you comments

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Very accomodating staff. Bar area was warm and cozy. Beds were very comfortable and room rate at $89 was great! Only stayed one night, but the place was definitely clean and well run. Would stay there again when visiting relatives in the area. Definitely not a place to stay if planning on visiting downtown Chicago, as traffic is terrible in the entire area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your fantastic comments about our hotel. I was particularly thrilled that you enjoyed my staff so much! That is really important to us and we work very hard to deliver a great guest experience. Secondly, your comments about our cleanliness are also extremely improtant to not only us, but other travellers as well and I thank you for making that a part of your review. We work very hard on that as well.
You may be interested to know that they have just completed construction after two years on Rako Road and Rt 31 is now open two lanes in each direction! I wish I could do something abouyt the traffic in Chicago but one step at a time! Thanks again
Indianapolis, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

On our way home from vacation we came to Crystal lake for a 2 days to visit to our son & family. We stayed at this Holiday Inn "Convention Center" only because it was the closest hotel to our son's home. We paid 100+ per night and had a two night stay. We stayed for Fri. and Sat. Saturday morning at approx. 7am the phone rang in our room. Front disk calling to tell us the spare tire off our 2012 Jeep had been stolen. Police had been called and were waiting for us. The Hotel would have never known of the theft if another guest hadn't been walking through the parking lot at the time and saw the thieves were under our car and informed them of a robbery going on out in the parking lot. Once out in the Parking lot we found 2 another cars with spare tires missing and pointed this out to the police. Was told 2 others had been taken also. Hubby & son spent 3 hrs at Police dept. trying to get copy of police report, not successful.

On Sunday morning at checkout, was when we found out this Holiday Inn has absolutely No security and No cameras in the parking lot. Nothing to protect guests vehicles. When we asked the front desk if we were going to be compensated, The front desk offered us a free breakfast. After my response to that she offered $25 off our bill. That was all I could take and strongly voiced my displeasure. The Manager was called, after waiting 20 minutes she finally came to the front desk. We discussed what had happened to our car on their property and at one point she compared it to her shopping at a grocery store and having her car broke into. "Turn it into your insurance, they'll pay for it." So basically what she was saying was Holiday Inn, Crystal Lake could care less about their paying guests or their property. We are NOT their priority. We did FINALLY get one night refunded but that was only after approx. 20 minutes talking with the manager. I still think they should have refunded both nights. Once home, we had to pay $250 for the new winch and $300 for a new full size wheel and tire. Deductible was 500 Their attitude was one of "well what do you want us to do, it's not our problem" Maybe making their guests feel like they actually cared.

Received a letter 2 weeks after this incident from some company representing the Hotel stating "Additional information is needed" and to contact them. It also says If they don't hear from you within 30 days they assume you are not pursuing a claim. I called twice after receiving the letter, left name and number. Never received return call. Poor Poor service all around!!

Room Tip: Rooms over priced for what they are, Parking Lot is very poorly lit, can't see your car from yo...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
HICHICL_manager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago - Crystal Lake, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
I am very sorry to hear of the theft that took place during your stay. I was glad to hear that my staff did respond by compensating one of your nights for free as a good will gesture. I regret that you did not see it that way. Unfortunately, we cannot settle insurance matters by reimbursing people directly as much as we would like to sometimes. We do most certainly apologize for the inconveniences you suffered and I did want to clarify that we do in fact have security as well as 24 Managers on Duty but unfortunately in your case, nothing was detected before it was too late. Our location is a suburban one and for the most part, we have very very few occurrences such as this but again, our apologies that it did happen. I hope that you will soon be able to resolve this through our insurance company and thank you for taking the time to make me aware of this.
Syracuse, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

I was here on business and while the hotel was fine, the location is not ideal if you want to go into the city. It is at least a 45 minute train ride into the city $6-8 each way depending on which station you leave from. The staff was excellent here - very accomodating and friendly....the shuttle driver even came to the train station late one night to take us back to the hotel. The continental breakfasts for our group were very good, but the restaurant menu looked very expensive.....we didn't actually end up eating dinner at the hotel the entire week. I cannot comment on value because I have no idea how much my company paid for the room.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
HICHICL_manager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago - Crystal Lake, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
We were very pleased that you found all aspects of your stay excellent however we were sorry to hear that you felt our hotel was farther from the city than you expected. I was especially thrilled to read your comments regarding the helpfulness and friendliness of our staff. This is something that we work for and hold very near and dear to our hearts.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012 via mobile

This was one of the worst hotels that I have stayed at in all of my years traveling for business and with youth sports teams. The air conditioner was spewing out mold all week. When we asked to change rooms we were continually told that that was not possible. Finally on the last night of a five night stay we were moved. The air conditioner then did not spew out mold, but the blower motor was so weak that it would not cool the room. It was very hot and uncomfortable. I told the front desk manager that it was unfair to have to pay $120 per night for such poor conditions. She responded that she would be happy to credit me with reward points to compensated for a one night stay. Hardly compensation for what we endured through the week. We stayed five nights because we had no where else to go with the massive international baseball tourney in town that week. The hotel refused to refund my money because they knew that I had no other options. I come to crystal lake at least three times a year for youth hockey. This is the first time that I have traveled here for youth baseball. I will never stay here again. I will make sure that no teams in our hockey organization ever stay here. Others in our group also complained about the toxic conditions. Our complaints fell upon deaf ears.

• Stayed August 2012
HICHICL_manager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago - Crystal Lake, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Please accept my apologies for what sound like a very dissatisfying stay. As you can probably see from our other responses, westrive very hard to exceed our guests expectations and generally are successful at doing so. I was so sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations and we are committed to resolving the issues that you described. I hope you will allow us another opportunity to serve you in the future. We will be in touch soon and are confident we can restore your faith in us.
Taipei, Taiwan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

I would come back again to this hotel. Its very suitable for business. The room I got was big and comfortable. There was a great bar downstairs with a fabulous view of the river if you want to unwind after a stressful day. The staff are polite and very helpful. This is the perfect business hotel for me!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
HICHICL_manager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago - Crystal Lake, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Thank you so much for the nice things that you wrote about our hotel. We are most pleased to hear that you find our hotel suitable for your business needs. We also appreciate the nice comments about our staff. We look forward to your return
Washington, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

I had a nice, large room with a king size bed and a fold out couch. The room was clean, which is a must. The bathroom was larger than some I've been in with plenty of counter space. I was staying for a full week and had a few requests, which were met quickly and politely. I never once felt my requests were an imposition. Everyone I met was friendly. I ate breakfast every day and many dinners during my week. The portions were huge and the prices reasonable. The only thing I could think to improve would be to put a fountain in the "pond" to improve the view.

Room Tip: This is my first stay at this hotel. If all the rooms are like this one, they are all excellent!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Thanks so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We were certainly thrilled to read all of the nice things you wrote about our hotel and it's staff. We look forward to your next visit!

Been to Holiday Inn Chicago - Crystal Lake? Share your experiences!