Kilronan Castle is an impressive venue at the best of times, but when you add a blanket of snow, a good mix of guests, an army of helpful staff and a generous dollop of festive cheer, you have almost everything you need for a magical Christmas.
Sadly for us, two members of our party of four could not make it because of the weather – a factor which affected many other guests. For those that were lucky enough to get through, the hotel delivered a genuine and warm welcome which started at check in and continued throughout the three night stay. We were also pleasantly surprised at how friendly most of the other guests were – this cannot always be taken for granted!
The hotel offered comfortable and well presented bedrooms, excellent food and service throughout and plenty of generous festive touches. The attitude of the staff (management and general) was perfectly pitched throughout and never overly formal. None of the staff seemed to be bothered about working at Christmas and nothing was too much trouble. The food was good and plentiful, and the entertainment laid on each day was also well suited.
Despite the number of children staying at the hotel, unrelated adults could still enjoy their Christmas without interruption as most children were well behaved and encouraged to make the most of the games and DVDs on offer in the library.
On the minus side, the hotel does need to address the standard of heating. Granted that parts of the hotel are very old and that some draughts should be expected but in certain areas, the heating just wasn't on at all. In addition, Wi-Fi is only available in two public areas of the hotel and an effort should be made to extend this to include bedrooms in 2011.
Single room supplement could also be revised downwards. Its not fair to penalise single travellers but this is a gripe I have about virtually every hotel in the country and is not unique to this one!
Noted that there are a number of comments about the hotel appearing unfinished and I can see why this is being said. This aside, the original building was lovingly restored and sympathetically extended and this takes time as well as serious amounts of money. This is not your typical and impersonal concrete and glass hotel – this place oozes history and quality and while progress may be slow, they are trying to do things properly. Kudos too for doing this in the current economic climate.
I would have no hesitation whatsoever in recommending this hotel and I look forward to returning there myself in the future.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kilronan Castle is one of Ireland’s most luxurious Castle Hotels in Roscommon Ireland, Kilronan Castle Ireland is the ancestral home of the Tennison family and the legendary Colonel King Tennison. It is one of a few Irish castle estates that can trace its history back to royal families. This secluded, luxury, Roscommon Castle hotel is majestically set on the shores of Lough Meelagh, surrounded by over forty acres of breathtaking Irish scenery, lush green pastures, ancient forests and historical points of interest. Approached by a meandering drive that passes acres of magnificent Roscommon lawns, the luxury Castle hotel overlooks a glistening lake which commands the panoramic beauty of the surrounds. Our World Class Spa & Leisure Centre is now open. Relax and unwind in our Pool or let us pamper you with one of our luxurious treatments. Our commitment is to provide the highest level of luxury, comfort and service. You will enjoy old world elegance with modern day comforts. One step inside Kilronan Castle, Roscommon and you are at home. With our warm and friendly atmosphere we will see to your every need, everything has been designed with your desires in mind. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, TripOnline SA and Travelocity so you can book your Kilronan Castle Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kilronan Castle Hotel Roscommon
- Kilronan Castle Hotel And Spa
- Kilronan Castle Roscommon