“Really Dissapointed” 2 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Castle   |   Ballyfarnon, Ireland   |
Dublin, Ireland
“Really Dissapointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2009

Myself, my sister-in-law and my mother in law, who was the object of the treat. My mother in law had turned seventy and myself and my sister in law decided to book her a special treat. I had already stayed at Lough Rynn so I expected something of a smiliar standard if not more. From the start it was like a comedy of errors, nothing went right. I had booked a room for my mother in law and a twin for myself and my sister in law. And what did they have? Two doubles!! They said they could put in a roller bed??? I said no. But they did get it sorted even if it was five o clock when we got our rooms.
At the time of booking I had booked a spa treatment for them both for 5pm. But the friday prior to our leaving my sister in law needed to change her's as she was going to be later arriving. She told them her time and that she would like to change it. No problem. Well low and behold when my mother in law arrived for her appointment(70th birthday treat!!) they said her appointment was for four o clock. I know this is wrong, but the girl was adamant. This was after waiting on our room for two hours and getting charged 18e for a, repeat 'a' one signular scone and one pot of tea. Cead mile failte...hello.
The rooms had no tea and coffe facilites or bathrobes(got bathrobes in the Crowne plaza dublin for 79euro.)No channel guide or even a bottle of water just empty glasses upside down with...nothing. Even the mini bar was empty with no menu to order.

All I need to say folks if you want the real ireland experince and the castle go to Lough Rynn Castle and have a true experince. I have alot more to say but I am annoyed at the level of incompetnece because it was my mother in laws 70th. And also there was no comment card and no one asked us if everything was ok with our stay, bad bad bad. In case any of the hotel staff would like to know more we stayed in room 202 and 304 on the 23rd of August. My mother in law never got her treatment. Shame on you.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Dublin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2009

Before I start i would like to say the hotel is set in beautiful grounds and certainly has the potential to be a great hotel. The staff & food were excellent too. Visitors must realise that most " good " Irish hotels are dominated by weddings at the weekends........ We arrived on a friday afternoon at about 4pm. Fancied a drink so headed for the bar......We werent allowed in because of a wedding and were redirected to a small drawing room with a bar and no empty seats..............we then decided we would try the Spa which to our surprise was closing for the day and had no spare treatment slots until Sunday which is when we were going home ! We then decided to go for a walk and turned right at the door of the castle/hotel. The walk ended after 150 yards as it was blocked by a huge fence......we went back the other way and came accross about 70 or 80 vacant unfinished houses............no walk then so we went back to the room.............. The room was very large and impressive ( 417 ) but on closer inspection we realised that you had to keep the curtains closed all day as everyone walking down the corridor could see into your room. the phone didnt work, the remote for TV didnt either. The bath was a jacuzzi bath designed for children ( tiny ) and we had an ironing board with no iron. We checked out Saturday morning ( a day early )because we were bored and because there was another wedding on that afternoon.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2009

I just cannot say enough good things about this hotel, or the magical experience it imparted. Having been disappointed in the past by "castle experience hotels," I tried to temper my enthusiasm when we first saw its imposing and dramatic edifice from a distance, on the hill. (Because in the past, many properties have looked grand from a distance, but paled as one came closer and closer!) But as we drove up the beautiful long lane -- lined with gorgeous trees and lampposts -- and got nearer to the Kilronan Castle itself, it was hard not to have very high hopes. The original gothic-style castle, with its tastefully done modern addition, loomed in front of us, coming closer and closer.

Upon entering even the outermost foyer, one could not help but be impressed by the quality of the antique furniture (especially the French desk), the stained glass windows -- and then into the lobby, a major "wow" with soaring ceilings from which hung a gargantuan gorgeous chandelier, meticulously-detailed period paneling, and truly staggering paintings. (Including an honest-to-God Da Vinci next to the reception desk.) The staff was very welcoming. We had pre-paid for an upgrade to a larger castle room -- however, we had arrived early and the room was not yet ready. To our total delight, the staff went ahead and upgraded us further to the bridal suite. Which was absolutely baronial, with a canopied bed (also amazingly comfortable with gorgeous linens), beautifully selected French antiques, an amazing expanse of tall vaulted windows that overlooked the fairytale lake and the grounds, and an opulent marble bathroom that was larger than many contemporary deluxe hotel ROOMS I have been in before. Such a nice gesture from the staff, and truly appreciated by us.

My partner and I were celebrating our 20th anniversary and had brought a bottle of champagne with us. Before we took a walk on the grounds, we asked the desk to please send up a bucket with ice and two champagne glasses so we could chill our bottle. When we returned from the walk 20 minutes later, we found that the ice and glasses had been delivered -- and that the hotel had included its own complimentary bottle of champagne as well.

The hotel itself is very well done -- the original castle building deserves some real exploration. Even hallways and foyers have remarkable paintings, are lit by beautiful crystal chandeliers, and very high quality antiques. Real attention has been given to the art, and in a much-welcomed curatorial move, little frames under the works of art actually give some information about the artist, the date, the provenance. Real attention has also been given to lighting in this property – it is just “right” and perfect. You could spend a couple of hours just exploring the hallways, nooks, and crannies.

Dinner in the Douglas Hyde Restaurant was equally wonderful. Our server, Daniel, was fantastic, and the food was of a truly unexpected quality and creativity. The two starters we ordered were extraordinary. The most succulent slice of pork belly sat perched on the most deliciously delicate mound of sauerkraut I have ever tasted (two words that don’t normally come together -- “delicate” and "sauerkraut") -- and the cold and warm pairing of foie gras was simply remarkable. The starters had been preceded by a small amuse-bouche of salmon mousse (compliments of the chef) that was so completely delicious that I wanted the recipe, and followed by the most flavorful little glass of mango / passion fruit sorbet I have ever encountered. And then the main course -- the Irish beef for two -- was complete and total perfection. Carved at the table, it was just incredible (I’m start to run out of adjectives to describe this meal), and was accompanied by a pairing of lyonaisse and dauphine potatoes, and some very simple but incredibly fresh gently sautéed vegetables. I know the dessert would have been equally memorable, but we were so stuffed we couldn't even contemplate it. But this restaurant was so surprising, and so extraordinary, that we cancelled our dinnerplans elsewhere the next night, and returned for an encore. (Which was just as miraculous as the first night, but this review is starting to get long!) The next morning, the Full Irish Breakfast did not disappoint, and was everything we hoped for.

The Spa in this hotel is quite remarkable, and the attention to surroundings and detail is equally so. The area around the treatment rooms is absolutely exquisite, with a long, serene meditation pool running the entire length of the treatment room foyer, and smaller reflecting pools outside every room. The treatment rooms themselves are much larger than the norm, and gorgeously appointed. The pool area is beautiful, and very well done. I could go on and on, but I'm sure you get the picture. We only had time to sample few of the offerings of the spa (which were all wonderful) but you could spend some serious relaxing time here. This was simply a wonderful experience in every way.

Most importantly, and on top of the physical beauty of Kilronan Castle, there is the warmth of the staff. The staff could simply not be better -- so welcoming, so warm, so friendly, so Irish! They are epitomized by Elysha Kelly at the front desk, who simply could not have been more welcoming, more hospitable, and more helpful. Even one of the principal directors of this hotel and its sister property (Lough Rynn) came up and greeted us by name in the foyer, and asked how our stay was going. This is something that does not happen every day in a hotel!

In short, this was a totally beautiful, blissful experience. After our too-short stay of three days, we felt like we were leaving family -- ,the staff even posed for pictures with us at the front desk as we left! We so wished we were staying longer -- which is the mark of a truly great hotel experience. As a few other reviews pointed out, there are still some very small things to be done -- for example, the WiFI wireless in the guestrooms is not yet functioning -- however this turned out to be a blessing, because when you are in this property you should forget the Internet and the modern world anyway! But nonetheless, we were able to use the computers at the front desk for those few times we needed to log on to email, or whatever, and this added to the family ambiance of this magical place.

In conclusion, I have been lucky to stay in some of the truly great and legendary hotels in the world. Many times they are spectacular, and live up to their names and reputations. Sometimes, sadly, they are disappointing and anti-climatic. But in the case of Kilronan Castle, it so far exceeded expectations and more than lived up to everything we had hoped for. It is a remarkable place, where time seems to have stopped, and it offers a magical Irish experience which should truly be savoured. I cannot wait to return, and neither can my partner. As we drove down that gorgeous long lane upon departure, with Kilronan Castle growing smaller in our rearview mirror, we both had some tears in our eyes. We cannot wait to come back. I can only imagine how phenomenal this castle will be in the winter, with all of its gigantic baronial fireplaces blazing!!

Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2009

Visited here with partner for a romantic weekend. We availed of an excellent offer for 2 nights accomodation. I think the offers were only running because the hotel is fairly new and it was off-season not sure if they are still running deals.

Arrived at night and the hotel looked great from the outside, the reception area is spectacular. The hotel is in two parts, the original castle and the new hotel element. Our room was in the old section and was well furnished. The bed was huge and really comfortable. The duvet was slightly stained but we contacted reception and they replaced it within 10 minutes.

The bar is pretty small but has character. The breakfast is excellent, the full Irish in particular. We had originally planed to have dinner one night in Carrick-On-Shannon but decided to try the hotel restaurant as we didn't fancy the drive into town. It was a good decision. The meal was superb.

I would recommend this hotel for couples looking for a quiet getaway. Its a bit of a drive into Carrick-On-Shannon so you may end up just staying at the hotel for dinner and drinks. The bar was quiet on the Friday but was more lively on the Saturday.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2009

I booked this hotel for my Pregnant wife and I for a 2 night break. After checking into the room I discovered that there was no Internet access in the hotel despite it advertising the same on one of their web sites - http://www.kilronancastlehotel.com/Kilronan_Castle_Facilities.html

Internet access was very important for me so I could log onto my laptop and do my Job, after a long discussion with the duty manager I had no choice but to leave this hotel and find somewhere that offered Internet access which anyone would expect in a four star hotel nowadays.

After driving 200 kms to get here and then having to leave was a big inconvienience to both my wife and I.

Just to some up the positives and negatives of our very short stay in this hotel.

Negatives:
No internet access - despite being advertised
Certain parts of the room and hotel seem to have loose wires and unfinished decor.
Their dungeon bar is only open on functions and the only bar open is a drawing room.
Lift was not working

Positives:
Beautiful hotel and grounds
Reasonably priced
nice staff

My overall opinion is that this hotel would appear to have ran out of money to finish of a few things such as the loose shabby wires and fittings hanging around the place and not bothering to install internet access, other than that a nice hotel with a bar that is a drawing room, so don't expect to have a cozy relaxing pint here! and a restaurant seemed decent with a nice menu.

Hope that you have better luck than us.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2009

Staying at a hotel for a wedding doesn't tend to be a great test of the standard of the place - generally all you see are the function room and possibly the residents bar (well, that's our experience). Kilronan Castle was a place that just begged to be explored further, and was well worth the peeking and prying we did (we even ended up on the roof at one stage!).

The castle is set in more than 40 acres of lovely countryside, with grounds sloping down to a lake. It's a beautiful traditional gothic-style building, and although there are little bits (and I mean little) to be done, it's everything inside that you'd expect from an early 19th century castle. Furnishings are gothic wood in places - I even spotted a suit of armour - but not too "stuffy baronial", and an interesting mixture in places of new and antique; the best of both styles. Linenfold panelling graced many of the rooms, including the newly built function room, which was one of the nicest I have ever been in. The reception has the most amazing beamed ceiling and majestic fireplace. On a PC screen beside the reception a film was playing of the work that had been done on the place, and it is nothing less than a labour of love.

Our bedroom was lovely and bright, despite the thick castle walls - probably something to do with having windows in three walls. The bed was incredibly comfortable, while the rainstorm-type shower was refreshing. Silk bed covers, heavy silk curtains and the softest white towels rounded off the room facilities beautifully, though there were no bathrobes.

Of particular note was the standard of the food, which was excellent. Generally, you expect meals at these types of functions to be good but not great, but this place really stood out for the quality; everyone was commenting on it. The service was superb and highly professional - again something which can be a bit hit or miss at a wedding.

In general the service at the hotel excelled (though it's only fair to note here that the manager - who was lovely and has been namechecked by others here - is the bride's father's grandniece). Whether when we were arriving at the door, checking in, being served meals or ordering a plate of sandwiches at 3 in the morning, everyone was warm, efficient and accommodating.

Although we didn't use any of the spa facilities, we had a nose around on Sunday (after a lovely breakfast), and it looks good. The pool in particular stood out, and I was kicking myself that I hadn't brought a swimming costume with me.

Overall, a perfect place for a getaway weekend, and a magical venue for a wedding.

ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2009

Stayed at the Kilronan for one night could not say enough good about it, beautiful castle stunning location. Booked for a friends birthday surprise, had two rooms in the actual castle section, rooms spacious, beautiful decor,
one of the rooms was a Junior suite bright airy large bathroom and bedroom with a view that topped it all off. Could not have asked for better,
Castle well worth a wander around as it appears to go on for ever, with the standard not failing anywhere, thou will say the castle is not completly finished little bits and pieces needing finished but I can assure you did not affect our stay in any way.
Pool steam room and sauna well worth a visit before dinner, Food excellent.
Our only regret was we didnt stay a second night but will definitly return again.
Thank you Kilronan Castle for a truely wonderful stay.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Kilronan Castle Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!