“Four and one-half” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Wallingford, PA
“Four and one-half”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Almost perfect. The staff earned a well deserved 5. Friendliest people, not only in Ireland, but I've rarely met such a consistantly friendly and helpful group. The room was very good. I can only say good things about the two nights we stayed at Kilronan. Beautiful view and grounds.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Westminster, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

There wasn't much to do on the grounds of the Kilronan castle.

My son loved the pool. But, we didn't travel to Ireland so I could show my son another swimming pool. :D Additionally, most of the fellow pool go-ers were not guests of the castle. Rather, they were local people who use the spa facilities under an annual 'Leisure Plan'. I actually found this to be a plus, as it was interesting to chat with the locals. But, you may see a level of activity in this part of the castle that's not commensurate with fill rate on the hotel side.

As a heads up, my son was not even allowed to sit in the spa waiting area for me to take advantage of the free Thermal Spa experience.

And, though I wouldn't ask my 10 year old to go in a steam room or sauna, it's important to note that the castles insurance does not permit anyone under 16 to use these. And 14 and under cannot swim, without a parent supervising at all times. Additionally, my son wanted to just do sit ups and lift 2 lb weights while I worked out, but again, their insurance didn't allow him to even be in the same room... so, I did a super brief work out while I watched him through the glass walls doing homework at a table.

These things, combined with the fact that there were not onsite activities for children, other than the pool, made the castle not very inviting for families.

The facade of the castle was part old, part new. This detracted a little from it's charm, but no biggy.

The food in the drawing room was pricy, but tasty. I believe we spent approximately $40 Euro for a club sandwich, two ginger ales, and a goat cheese appetizer. The appetizer was fantastic, by the way. :)

The breakfast buffet was light. But, the service was friendly.

It seemed there were some people who played more than one role at the castle. It kind of reminded us of the sneaky butler from the movie, 'Mr. Deeds'. :) We had fun with it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Blairsville, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Stayed in five castles in Ireland. This was my favorite! The thermal spa is not to be missed--very relaxing. The staff of the hotel is wonderful. We really were treated like royalty. Cannot say enough good things. We purchased the trip as a package so can't speak to the value but it was well worth what ever we paid!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Super Castle hotel in the quiet of Roscommon. Although it is 4 star, it speaks of a 4.5-5 star experience. The staff are so friendly, the atmosphere is lush and the food and facilities are top notch. Each time we stay in Kilronan we get the mother of all sleeps. The spa and pool must be used if you stay as they really add to the experience too. The Castle is also perfect for a wedding venue. I got married here last year and it will be etched on my memory forever because of the service, the surroundings and the quality. Excellent.

Room Tip: Any part of the castle are good to sleep in. Book early if you have kids as there are only 3 family...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

Spent a girlie weekend in pure bliss here. Spa is a dream, cocktails at the bar and amazing food. Staff all very friendly. I think it was the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in.

Could not fault this place at all. Amazing. Can't wait to return for more

• Stayed February 2013
Mullingar, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

My boyfriend brought me there for valantines. I had spa treatment as a suprise and it was fantastic. Spa itself is very modern and has unique relaxing decor. Castle is fantastic. It looks spectacular. I can highly recomend it to everyone and I'm sure you wil be delighted. We had lovely room with lake view. Room was elegant and warmly decorated with nice big bathroom. I just hope we can go back there very soon. Personally I can spend rest of my live in this castle:). This place has something magic and work like magnet. Dinner was perfect 5 stars to chef. The menu is really up to date and varied. Very enjoyable experience.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Kerry ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

A lovely experience spent 2 nights in beautiful surroundings. Rooms spacious with 5star beds to match. Would highly recommend to foodies out there had dinner both nights in restaurant and was not disappointed ,very high standards. Because of location (a little isolated) I felt a spa day was in order and was I glad ,once you go beyond those doors another world exists a must if you visit the castle . Overall I would say excellent accommodation , food and staff very welcoming. I will go back . Good value for money considering the standards

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Kilronan Castle Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!