“Authentic Czech Cuisine” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Peshtigo, WI
“Authentic Czech Cuisine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

This restaurant has been popular with my family since it opened, my great Aunts who lived down the street thought of this place like a second home. My family was originally from the Czech Republic, from Domazlice. My grandpa passed on his Czech pride to the whole family. We went down here to see why my aunts loved this place so much. We found out it is truly a very Czech expierence. The dumplings are very fluffy, which is important if your Czech. I had the pork medallions wraped in bacon, which was very good. It reminded me of my trip to the Czech republic, if you like Czech food or have Czech ancestry this is the place to go to try out are amazing food.

• Visited May 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Glenview, Illinois
“Great food at a modest price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

The restaurant is very old world. The atmosphere seems like you are in Bohemia. The food is very good, the portions reasonably sized and the price very reasonable. Try their apple strudel. It is made as good as it gets.

• Visited April 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Los Angeles, California
“Worth It On So Many Different Levels!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011

A throwback to another era: architecturally, interior of beautiful woodwork, the food! Took my Mom & family for Christmas Day dinner though we've frequented Klas for decades. My brother had goose ($38) and thought it excellent; he can be picky, too. My Mother & I each ordered the quarter portion of duck ($12). Husband had the pork loin ($13). Most of us had the liver dumpling soup starter; mine was not as flavorful as I remember my Czech Grandma's (or nearby Riverside Restaurant's version). Knedlicky (bread dumplings): perfect-o. Sauerkraut ("zeli") was missing the caraway seeds from Grandma's version, but we never had cumin as earlier review noted missing. Maybe cumin a German version? I don't like caraway seeds so a happy camper. And, the beer! Why have a Pilsner Urquell (which they offer) when can have a *draft* Staropramen? De-lish! Dessert: Kolacky & apple streudal.

Don't leave without ducking your head in the a) bar (right out of a film noir scene) and the b) second floor (stunning!) Beer garden in the summers. Excellent experience.

• Visited December 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“where's my laderhosen??!?!? and my hat with the ltl feather?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2008

where's my laderhosen??!?!? and my hat with the ltl feather?

A TripAdvisor Member
“Klas Restaurant: One of America's last real restaurants.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2005

Klas Restaurant is a great old restuarant filled with beautiful antique appointments. Klas has the feel of old Chicago. The menu is unique containing real old-world bohemian dishes. Schitzel, sauerbraten, goulash, red cabage - no fusion here.

Meals are very inexpensive ($7-12" and include soup, sides and desert. Good selection of Czech beers.

No trip to Chicago is complete without visiting Klas.