“Cute place with a split personality” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ma & I Thai

Ma & I Thai
1234 S Michigan Ave, Chicago, IL 60605-2596 (The Loop)
312-663-1234
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #693 of 8,264 restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Thai
Neighborhood: The Loop
Neighborhood: The Loop
Connecticut
“Cute place with a split personality”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

Entrance to this restaurant is via what I call mall hall.

Folks are friendly and expedient. When it is warm out they can open up their window front to see S. Michigan Ave.

Japanese and Thai dishes

Their summer roll uses hoisin sauce with peanuts as the sauce and is missing mint and basil and rice noodles but was filled to excess with lettuce but was made fresh by their sushi chef.

I had the tempura udon soup and the broth was excellent and full of umami. The tempura shrimp waa coated just right and was light and crispy - recommended as it was cold and rainy out.

Good food

I would recommend just for the soup!

87% Recommend
Austin, Texas
“Something for Everyone”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Lengthy sushi/sashimi menu, exotic to everyday choices. Tasty and beautifully prepared.
Lots of great curry as well.
Very friendly and knowledgable staff.
During nice weather, they open all the large windows that front the street. Like sitting outside without the worry of cars and people on the sidewalk being a problem.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Alexandria, Virginia
“Thai (or is it Japanese?)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

The service was friendly and engaged, and the food was great. Fusion menus always worry me a bit but the gyoza were tasty and the spicy basil chicken was spicy and tasted as I had hoped. I'll be back, or at least order takeout!

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Grand Haven, Michigan
“Great prices and convenient to Museum Campus/Soldier Field”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I was looking for a dinner place that was close to the museum campus and tried this one. It was an easy walk from the parking garage at North Soldier Field and the food was very good. We had excellent spring rolls, seaweed salad, curry, and pad thai. With a few beers, tax, and tip, our bill was reasonable at just over $60. The service was prompt and the decor was very nice. I would certainly go here again when in this area of Chicago.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Glasgow, UK
“Lychee martinis to die for - and very nice food too!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

This low-key restaurant was directly opposite the condo we rented in South Loop so have a real local feel to it. Both waitresses who served us were very friendly and efficient. We started with some very nicely made Lychee Martinis - give them a try! The food was piping hot, fresh, flavoursome, and the red curry fair packed a punch!! The vegetables still had their crunch, the spices came through beautifully and the atmosphere was very relaxed allowing us time to really enjoy the food. I'll definitely return to this restaurant next time I'm in Chicago - great value for what you get!

Visited June 2013