“Good hotel, bad HHonors Recognition” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Doubletree by Hilton Chicago Magnificent Mile

You added Doubletree by Hilton Chicago Magnificent Mile to your Saves list
Doubletree by Hilton Chicago Magnificent Mile
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   300 East Ohio Street, Chicago, IL 60611 (Streeterville)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Parking Special
Ranked #103 of 177 Hotels in Chicago
New York City, New York
“Good hotel, bad HHonors Recognition”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

I stayed here on a reward reservation...

Hotel: room was clean and nice, would definitely recommend. Great location, easy to get to magnificent mile and navy pier. Hotel bar and lobby looked nice. Bellmen friendly.

Staff / hotel policies: Poor! I'm not someone who generally asks for anything special or flaunt status, but this weekend reward was a special occasion which I had let the hotel know about via the comments i the reservation. Refused to put me on HHonors floor because it was a reward stay (unless I paid). When I asked for a late checkout, I was told no. After mentioning HHonors status and that late checkout was a benefit, I was told I could have 30 minutes for free, or I could pay by the hour for more. I was upset that I was hit up for money at every chance and was given the reward stay excuse whenever I inquired about the policies.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
KokuaHospitality, Guest Services at Doubletree by Hilton Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear nkimmel,
Thank you for your review. We are glad you enjoyed our close proximity to the Mag Mile and Navy Pier. Allow us to apologize if our HHonors recognition program did not exceed expectations during your stay. Just so you are aware, we do not offer any Hilton Executive floors at our hotel. It is never our intention to "nickel and dime" our guests, but we are making sure that we are adhering to the strict policies we have in place at our hotel.
Guest Services

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
waltham, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Room/Bathroom were clean upon arrival, ample space in the dresser and night stands. However being on the third floor there was a lot of noise from outside as well as next door. The toilet ended up clogging which was a real pain but maintenance ended up taking care of it. The fitness center however is the best I've ever seen in a hotel. Staff is friendly. But I was not happy about 10$ a day for internet access, and the bed was just so-so in comfort.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

KokuaHospitality, Guest Services at Doubletree by Hilton Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review. We are happy to learn that you enjoyed our fitness center, but apologize if you had difficulty with your guest room toilet. It pleases us to learn that our Maintenance team was able to quickly rectify the problem during your stay. We hope to welcome you back for a much improved stay in the future.
Ontario, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Location was very close to Michigan Avenue, and only about 20 minute walk to Millennium Park and The Bean. And, the best breakfast place in Chicago -- Yolk -- is only 1 1/2 blocks away. But, if you just want to stay in and eat, the restaurant at the hotel is fabulous! Very good value and lovely, clean hotel with fully-equipped fitness center.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review. We are glad you enjoyed our close proximity to Michigan Avenue and Millennium Park. Also, we are thrilled you enjoyed dining at Markethouse. It would be a pleasure to serve you again soon.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

Be careful! The page on Hotwire says wifi under services provided, but in tiny print on another page you have to open up says additional fees may apply (basically only get it free if you're an honors member). That bugged me because I'm a teacher (who saved up to go and couldn't afford tricks) with lessons to plan, and had chosen the hotel because I thought I could get Internet. Made me go over my data limit, and deal with slow as hell smartphone speed this month. Fool me once, yeah yeah, but is that a way to get business? The snack tray is 'sensor activated,' but the card telling you that is located BEHIND the snacks. I didn't want any, but was almost tricked into picking up a thing just to read the card. Also it was nowhere near the fridge, and I almost moved stuff earlier just to put some food in. And you can't use the fridge, but that note was also just on the card. Nothing illegal, but pretty damn shady. Like they are desperate to sell lukewarm cola for $5.75 (you're down the street from a grocery store, yeesh).

Other than that, good stay, but it seriously left a bad taste in my mouth. Be careful!

For good... Space, location, and comfy beds are excellent. Relatively quiet. Good TV that we could hook up the blue ray to. Got checked in quickly. Our housekeeping was always done and I had no complaints, and the place had a slightly greener option regarding towels and linens. No fan in the bathroom that I could see, but the mirror didn't totally fog over.

Having no Internet makes me grumpy. I've been in cheap motels with free wifi. Get on their level. Would give 2 stars but trying not to stay too pissed at the 1 or 2 things that were a total fail.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear flagitiousbunny,
Thank you for your review. We regret to learn if the lack of complimentary wireless internet caused any inconvenience during your stay. Also, we regret to learn if our in-room amenity card was not visible to you upon arrival. If given another opportunity, it would be a pleasure to welcome you back for a much improved experience.
Cooks, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Had a very nice stay here. The location was great and the staff were very friendly and helpful. Lots of restaurants close by. Room was very nice and clean. Our maid was awesome. The king bed was very comfortable. Nice flat screen TV in the room and my wife loved the in room coffee maker.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Randy W,
Thank you for your review. We are glad you enjoyed our central location and friendly staff. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back again soon.
Gillette, Wyoming
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Staff was excellent. Room was nicely furnished. The class was in the hotel. Meeting rooms were ok. The catering for the class - Breakfast - ok a real lack of assortment. Lunch was fantastic. Value of the room was ok.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Junglegroup,
Thank you for your review. We are thrilled you enjoyed our food selection, and found our staff to be excellent. It would be a pleasure to serve you again soon.
Coconut Creek, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

My fiance' and I chose this location (my first visit to Chicago) for opening day. What I enjoyed about it was the staff was incredibly friendly. They also have two nice bars as well as a decent breakfast buffet. You can also order breakfast off their menu. The location is good as most things are within reasonable walking distance. If you need a cab the bellhop will grab you one immediately. If you want to take the EL to anywhere it's only about 0.3 miles away. We purchased a three day CTA pass that allowed us to use the EL or Bus services. For $31.50 I thought it was a little expensive but after using it to travel the city it was very worth it. We also discovered why it's nicknamed "the Windy City" ...

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear George K,
Thank you for your review. We are happy to read how much you enjoyed our affordable rates and friendly staff. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back again soon.
Guest Services

Been to Doubletree by Hilton Chicago Magnificent Mile? Share your experiences!