“You get what you pay for” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Park and Chill Savings
Ranked #72 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Gatineau, Canada
“You get what you pay for”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

We stayed four nights Thursday-Monday at this hotel. On our first visit in Chicago, a friend recommended we stay downtown so, I researched quite a bit but the options were limited as we are a family of 5 and I was looking for two beds with a sofa bed. We paid $290 per night which was a big chunk of our holidays budget. Room was very nice and functional. Sofa bed turned out to be quite poor with a significant head/feet downhill slope but our daughter still found it ok (!). Pool was beautiful, great view on the lake as located kinda on the last floor with plenty of windows. Service was excellent. I read recent reviews about valet parking. Definitely, this is a rip off at $64 / night. I used BestParking.com and found an indoor, very safe parking one block away for $32 / night which turned out to be a brilliant move if you don't care about in/out privilege. Hotel is well located but if I returned, I would try to be closer from Michigan Ave/Ohio St which would be even more central. There is a very nice "Jewel" grocery on Ohio St that is very convenient for families. I wish we had been closer to it for breakfast, day drinks and snacks. If you don't have that 5th person to accommodate, there are many more options Downtown Chicago. This place also ends up somewhat far to Millenium Park and everything South of Chicago River. Very nice hotel nevertheless; no regrets. Biggest disappointment, paid WiFi ($12 per day). It's a shame in 2014 having to pay for this service although there were 4 free internet workstations in the lobby.

Room Tip: Ask for a view on the lake side if possible. Test the sofa bed before unpacking if it matters.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
PatrickFilatre, General Manager at Hilton Suites Chicago/Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Dear Mr GinoL,

Thank you so much for taking time to share your experience with us. It is both valued and appreciated. I am glad that you enjoyed our hotel and the roominess of our rooms. We have many families who return year after year for the reason you mentioned. Thank you for mentioning the beautiful view from the pool that is located on the 30th floor, it certainly gives a beautiful view of the city. Our prime location in the Chicago Gold Coast is perfect for visotors who want to enjoy Lake Michigan, the Magnificent Mile, Rush Street and its restaurants, shopping on Oak Street and at other stores located on Michigan Avenue.

We look forward to welcoming you back in Chicago and at our hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Kalamazoo, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

I stayed at this hotel with two other ladies....we went for an overnight trip. When we arrived early in the AM our room was not yet ready but Dannita graciously offered to call us as soon as the room was ready and helped us with luggage and parking. We received a call and were in the room early in the afternoon. The beds in the room and the pillows were excellent..very comfortable. I especially appreciated no beadspread...very clean.....
Great job Dannita and all the others who helped make our stay so enjoyable

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dear KalamazooKJ,

Thanks so much for your comments. It sounds like you had a great time here in Chicago. Reading about the experience of our guests is something that we enjoy doing and yours is no exception. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and in Chicago. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and thank you for recognizing one of our team member.

It was a pleasure to be of service to you and your friends during this visit and we look forward to being your home away from home on your next visit to our great city.
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

We used points and $100 to book this hotel due to the location. It's proximity to the main shopping tourist area (Michigan Ave) make it very easy to walk anywhere. Parking is expensive if you "use" the hotel parking lot for self park($47). If you don't need to come and go...there are at least three locations within 100 meters that is $32 for 24 hours.

The Executive lounge is good for grabbing bottled water or soda (free)...but any beer or wine at night is at full price ($7-8). We were a little disappointed as I'm used to at least discounted drinks with Diamond status.

Breakfast can get a little crazy if you wait until 9:30. It's not bad (scrambled eggs, muffins, bagels, fruit, yogurt, etc)...but not that great.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
PatrickFilatre, General Manager at Hilton Suites Chicago/Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Dear MocNJen,

Thanks for recommending our location. There is no doubt that being steps away from the Mag Mile, the American Girl, and the restaurants on Rush Street makes it easy to enjoy our fabulous city.
We truly appreciate and value the feedback that we receive from our guests. I am glad that you were able to enjoy our Executive Lounge and it is true that it is quite a popular place. You bring a very good point about the parking, self serve parking have diffrent offerings and in many instances it is quite important to have the in and out privilege that we offer in order to not have additional costs.

It sounds like you enjoyed your visit of Chicago and we look forward to welcoming you back the next time that you are in Chicago.
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Traveled to Chicago for a leisure trip with my family. We did a lot of research on the hotels prior to booking our stay at the Hilton Magnificent Mile. We selected the property because it was close to the Magnificent Mile, Oak Street Beach and it had a pool. We were willing to pay a little extra for accomodations with a pool because there were several kids traveling with us. We paid a premium for the room and an extra $64 for valet parking per night. Needless to say, the pool was not working. The hotel made arrangements to use the Ritz Carlton, however we had to pay $20 per person in advance and submit a receipt for reimbursement. Overall, If travelling to Chicago, there are a number of hotels in the area that are a better value than this property.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

PatrickFilatre, General Manager at Hilton Suites Chicago/Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Dear SpeedyGonzales,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We apologize for all the inconvenience you experienced with our pool availability. It was a very unfortunate situation that had to be attended to as an emergency. The work was completed as fast as possible but we understand and apologize for the inconvenience. On the valet parking rate, I assure you that our rate is in line with other hotels in Chicago and I will share that the rate includes an average of 25% of taxes.
We’re happy to hear that you enjoyed our great location and we hope to have another opportunity to serve you, if your travels bring you back to Chicago. Please do not hesitate to contact me so I can follow-up with you personnally.
Milwaukee Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

My 87 year old Mother and I stayed the night of July 1st. I live 90 minutes from Chicago but this was Mom's 1st trip to Chicago (she lives in FL). I chose this Hilton after a lot of research as I have to admit I am a "regular" at the Brand that is almost next door. But I was able to actually afford a Club Level one bedroom with LAKE VIEWS at the Hilton.
Natalie happily checked us in and advised our room would likely not be ready until 3 P.M. This was fine because I'd planned an Architectural river tour that I've enjoyed before. The Concierge, Pam, overhead me mention this and asked which boat tour I'd planned on. Upon hearing which one, she advised me, as a result of flooding rains the night before, that tour operator was not running his River tours. BUT another tour operator had much smaller boats that could fit under the river's bridges. In short, she took care of the booking process (15 or more minutes) saving me a TON of aggravation. THIS is what a Concierge is for and this is 1 of the only Concierges that has solved a real problem for me!!
Came back @ 3:00 and Natalie immediately acknowledged us & swiftly got our Key cards and 2 comp. ice cold water bottles. Nice. The tall, exceptionally cordial Bell Man retrieved our suitcase from storage where we'd left it during the Boat Ride (excellent tour) and we were on our way to the 26th floor.
Succinctly -- my favorite Hotel room out of the many I've stayed in over the past 32 years, for its [very reasonable] Price.
Now -- to be wholly fair -- Chicago rolled out her utterly magical Summer self. And "she" can be awfully reticent to do so some Summers. My Mom brings that out the best in the Nature gods ;-) So our views out of the Bed and Living Room picture windows were jaw dropping -- just like those Photos you see on the websites but almost never see in person {sigh}.
King bed and Bedding were comfortable and engulfed my tiny Mom who was thrilled with everything. The Living room was a decent size with a large work desk overlooking the Lake (& its sail boats).
The suite had a 42" flat screen TV in each room (yes, there's a door between the Bed & Living rooms). But aside from the views, my personal favorite feature was the fact that the large Bathroom had TWO [2] separate doors for individual access from the living room as well as the bedroom. Such privacy for those needing a middle-of-the-night bathroom run.
I took the Sleeper Sofa and let's face it they are always awful. I've spent half my life at acommodations all over the world (most at the comfortably moderate $ range) and never found a good sofa bed yet. So I did what I need to do in those situations (though usually it's for 1 of my now-adult kids) -- I pulled the sofa's mattress onto the floor & slept there. NOTE WELL -- this goes without saying that you've already found the Hotel room's floors very clean!! All went well.
We had access to the Club level evening "reception" with hot & cold snacks and free non-alcoholic drinks. (Alcohol was extra fee but I didn't ask what amount). Very nice light spread. The young woman server was especially sweet and friendly as well as hard-working. I am no Judge of the Club level Breakfast since I never eat breakfast. However, I love my coffee and the made-to-order Coffee machine was super (after a cheerful guest helped me figure it out).
MUCH has been said in prior reviews about this location. Since this is the location I've been staying in on my Chicago stays for the past 32 years it's clear I concur. Try to walk instead of using cabs--there is so much to look at street level. I say that and I never shop at the "fancy" retailers--just gawk at them and all of the area's sights. I did take several cabs with my Mom because of her age but they were reasonable [to my shock].
The floor on which we stayed was silent which is a huge deal for me since you can NOT count on that in a big city hotel. In fairness, this is also true of that other Brand's nearby hotel -- another plus of this particular area off Michigan Avenue.
Natalie checked us out the next day and was so solicitous of my Mother's stay that she felt like a V.I.P. Likewise, Pam asked if our river cruise worked out which it certainly did. I spent a bit more for this treat for my Mom and me -- it was so worth every penny.
Please keep up this Standard, Natalie, Pam and the Bell Man whose name I missed, because that is a large part of why I would return on my next Chicago visit! And, fellow Trip Advisors, Chicago's climate may be fickle but there is much more to her than those admittedly superb lake views.

Room Tip: East-facing high floors have lake views.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
PatrickFilatre, General Manager at Hilton Suites Chicago/Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Dear ptarr,

Thank you very much for staying with us, it is very special for our hotel to have been your home away from home for you and your mother who is 87 years old. It is pleasure to read the feedback that you sent about the three staff members who assisted you during your stay and contributed on making your stay a pleasant stay. Your comments are very kind and very sincere which make them very special. The feedback we receive from our guests is very important to us as it help us improve. Your feedback will be most helpful to travelers who are planning to visit Chicago and it is very rewarding for our team members who work very hard everyday to provide the service our guests expect and deserve.

Thank you for staying with us and please don't hesitate to contact us directly prior to your next visit to Chicago and we will be happy to assist you with the planning of your trip.
West Hills, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

I stayed in this hotel for business but it is also an excellent choice for personal travel, very close to shops and walking distance to many nice restaurants as well. Great location, great service, friendly staff.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Vigen G,

Thank you so much for taking timne to share your experience with us. Your feedback is very important to us and I assure you that all of us value the feedback we receive from our guests.

Thanks for recommending our location. There is no doubt that being steps away from the Mag Mile, the American Girl, the John Hancock Tower and the restaurants on Rush Street makes it easy to enjoy our fabulous city. Thank you for taking the time to recognize the friendliness of our staff, it is our goal to provide our guests with a pleasant experience in a friendly and comfortable atmosphere.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Chicago and be your home way from home again.
Sarasota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

I was recently there on business and had booked a King Room. I've been a Hilton Honors member since the 80's and my profile calls for a king room/high floor/away from the elevator. Well, I get into town late evening, tired, and couldn't wait to get relaxed in my room. Checking in was no issue, but when I arrive to room 2515, it's a special needs room. I call the desk to change rooms and they start arguing with me to tell me I requested a special needs room. (Wrong!)
Anyway, all they did was say they didn't have and king rooms available (the hotel wasn't that booked) and placed me in a double room.
The rooms are nice and clean, as well as the bathroom. Staff seemed pleasant, the hotel's in a good downtown location, and I'd stay there again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear FBINA,

Thank you so much for taking time from your busy schedule to share your experience with us. It is both valued and appreciated. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and I apologize for the situation you experienced at check-in when you did not received the room type that you had requested. I am glad that you enjoyed our location next to the John Hancock Tower, your room and the pleasant service provided by our staff.

It was pleasure and a privilege to serve and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to our great city

Been to Hilton Suites Chicago/Magnificent Mile? Share your experiences!