“Spacious, comfortable, good-value hotel in one of Chicago's priciest 'hoods” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Suites Chicago/Magnificent Mile

Special Offer
Park and Chill Savings
Ranked #72 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Detroit, Michigan
“Spacious, comfortable, good-value hotel in one of Chicago's priciest 'hoods”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2011

Amidst the expensive apartment towers and designer stores of downtown Chicago's Gold Coast sits the Hilton Suites, a very nice place to bed down after a day or night prowling the Windy City.
The hotel is in a relatively nondescript tower at Mies van der Rohe and Delaware, a block from N. Michigan Avenue and the John Hancock building. It features a relatively small, attractive and placid lobby. The front-desk staff is pleasant and efficient.
But the rooms are what make this place such a good value for the money. The standard room is not really a suite, but sort of a mini-suite. The cozy sleeping area is separated from the spacious sitting area, which features a couch, cocktail. lounger and work desk, as well as a bar area with a mini-fridge, microwave, sink and coffee service (which has Lavazza coffee and actual liquid creamer!).
My bedroom featured an uber-comfortable king bed that I didn't want to crawl out of on a cold Chicago morning. It also contained a vanity area. And though the rooms won't win any contests for edgy design, the soothing earth tones and comfortable furnishings will be a welcome sight for a tired traveler.
The spacious bathroom (with excellent shower pressure and Peter Thomas Roth bath products) could be accessed from the bedroom or the sitting room.
Both the bedroom and sitting room featured flat-screen TVs, though the channel selection was rather limited.
With so much good grub in Chicago, I didn't bother with the hotel restaurant or room service, which was typically overpriced. There's also a little lobby shop that serves Starbucks coffee.
As with most downtown chain hotels, just about any service in the hotel is a la carte, including wired and wireless internet service, as well as access to the business center. So when I needed to boot up, I found a nice little independent coffee house on the north side where the WiFi came free with a soy latte.
The Hilton Suites is a block from the north end of the Mag Mile, close to Bloomingdales and the Water Tower Place shopping center. Nearby restaurants include Gaylord India and the Cheesecake Factory.
Price-wise, you could spend a lot more and get a lot less than the Hilton Suites. I got a sensational rate of $53 per night via a Priceline bid, and even the rates on the Hilton website, or Orbitz, Expedia etc., compare favorably with other hotels of its quality.

Room Tip: Higher floors offer great city views.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
PatrickFilatre, General Manager at Hilton Suites Chicago/Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, December 19, 2011
Dear Michiganmmarlon,

Thank you very much for staying with us, your feeback is very important to us and we appreciate reading from guests who have stayed with us. I want to thank you for how specific your feedback is, I believe that it will be very helpful to future travelers who are planning to visit Chicago. I am thrilled to see that you enjoyed everything that there is to enjoy about our hotel and its location.

We look forward to your next visit. Thank you

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Cleveland, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

While I travel to Chicago frequently, I had never previously stayed at the Hilton Suites. I got an excellent deal so thought to give it a try. The hotel is conveniently located just off of Michigan Avenue, and if you enjoy the shopping around the Hancock and Water Tower Place you'll find the location superb. The hotel is busy, but spacious, and check-in was a breeze. My husband and I were assigned a room at the end of the hallway behind the elevators. While other reviewers found the elevator noises bothersome, I did not really notice them (unless in the bath which was directly behind the elevators) - if this troubles you ask for a suite away from the elevators at check-in. The room itself was large and clean - bed was great - nice view of the Hancock building - no complaints! We parked elsewhere - the valet parking is over $50 a day, so you can definitely find a cheaper place to park if you drive around a bit. L is a few blocks down, along with TONS of restaurants and coffee places. It is also an easy walk down to the river and the Christkindl market if that strikes your fancy. All in all a great stay; I'd happily recommend this hotel to others, especially if you can find a discounted rate.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Pilar1978.

Thank you very much for staying with us at the Hilton Suites Chicago. I am very appreciative of the feedback we receive from our guests as it helps us improve on our service. I must also mention that the feedback our team members received is very motivating and rewarding. Thank you.

I am glad you were also pleased with our location, we are close to everything that Chicago has to offer and many of our return guests mention our location has being very convenient for them.

We look forward to welcoming you back.
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

I travel to the Chicago area regularly on business. This was my fourth hotel stay along the Magnificient Mile, but my wife's first trip to Chicago. This was a great experience for her and the best location we could have stayed at for our purpose which was to combine a little business with a lot of sightseeing and Christmas shopping. Just a one block walk to Michigan Ave, and we liked being on a relatively quiet side street at night. The front desk, concierge, bellhop, restaurant staff and housekeeping were all helpful and friendly. The breakfast buffet was outstanding. The room was comfortable and it was nice to have two TVs and separate bedroom so that my wife could take a late afternoon nap after our day of sightseeing while I checked out a little football. Nothing negative to report. Will likely stay here again.

Room Tip: Unless you plan to do a lot of driving, take cabs/limos and save the valet and rental car fees.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear David H.

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your experience at the Hilton Suites Chicago. Your feedback is important to us and to future travelers who plan to visit Chicago. I am delighted to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that you found our team members to be helpful and friendly.

Our guests appreciate our location and the convenience to everything they are looking for when in Chicago.

We look forward to your next visit to Chicago and to the Hilton Suites.
Moline, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2011

The Staff went the extra mile to accommodate my needs. Samuel, the valet, had my car available each morning without reminders and the front office and bell staff was just as exceptional. My wife enjoyed the convenience to shopping on the magnificent mile and was able to return to the hotel multiple times with bags and bags of Christmas presents rather than carry them throughout her day.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
PatrickFilatre, General Manager at Hilton Suites Chicago/Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, December 10, 2011
Dear Vacation-Advocates,

Thank you very much for selecting the Hilton Suites Chicago for your stay in the great city of Chicago. Inam glad that you had the opportunity to enjoy your stay with us and the proximity to the Magnificient Mile. The hotel is perfectly located in the center of where it all happens, shopping, dining and other activities that make Chicago and our hotel a perfect destination. I am delighted to read that the team and particularly Samuel did a god job at providing you a personal and attentive service.

We look forward to welcoming you back at the Hilton Suites Chicago.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2011

I stayed at the hotel on a long business trip. It should be a pleasant stay if I did not encounter the following :
1. unpleasant staff at the front office who are arrogant and impolite. The hotel should terminate this kind of people if they want to maintain their business.
2. have to send my laundry to the front office, instead of housekeeping comes and collect it from my room
3. additional room charges were charge to my credit card without my authorization, after I checked out!!

Now I have to work out with my credit card company on the dispute. I have complained but no action was taken to call me back. This is going to be my last stay at HILTON!!!

Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Dear DYGARTINI,

Thank you very much for your feedback, I apologize for not meeting your expectations and I am certainly equally disappointed that our service was not up to our usual standard. Guest satisfaction is very important to us and I assure you that I will follow-up with our team to see what happened. We like to be known for the quality of our hotel but in addition we pride ourselves in providing a good experience with friendly service. Please contact me on your next visit to Chicago so I may assist with your reservation.

Thank you for your feedback and thank you for selecting the Hilton Suites Chicago.
Fargo, North Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

We spent the Friday after Thanksgiving shopping on the Magnificent Mile and chose the Hilton Suites primarily for the price. It was the cheapest all-suites hotel and we were very surprised and impressed. The entire staff was very friendly and helpful, especially allowing us to check in early.

The hotel is less than a block from Michigan Avenue which was perfect to avoid the crazy crowds and noise and only a minute or two walk from the shopping and festivites.

The shower was probably the BEST shower I have every had in a hotel. The water pressure was very high, the shower and tub clean and the towels are soft. This is actually one of the nicest Hiltons that I have stayed.

Two very large LG flat panel TVs in the room and plenty of channels.

The only downside to the hotel is the $54.00 for valet parking so we parked a block away for $20.00.

Again, the nicest staff, great location, best shower and great pillows.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
PatrickFilatre, General Manager at Hilton Suites Chicago/Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, December 5, 2011
Dear Estes K,

Thank you very much for your review. We appreciate you selecting the Hilton Suites Chicago while visiting our great city over Thanksgiving. I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. It is our goal to make our hotel the home away from home for all our guests. It is also nice to read that you were able to experienced our new flat screen TVs with HD channels, it is a big investment and it means a lot to see that it contributed to your enjoyment of the hotel.

It always a great pleasure to see that our team members are providing service in a friendly manner, it is our goal to make every stay a wonderful experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are visting Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

If you are looking for an affordable place to stay that is in the center of the action, this is it. The hotel is just blocks away from Michigan Avenue and all the big department stores. The room itself is average. We booked a suite for 3 nights and the pullout sofabed is extremely uncomfortable. The mattress on the sofabed is about 3 inches thick, and there was a bar that jammed in my back all night. For a suite which is meant to accomodate 3 people (I assume), the bathroom and main living area is extremely small. My biggest complaint is that there was no safe in the room, and we did not feel comfortable leaving our jewelry and electronics in the room while we shopped. On a positive note, the fitness center and pool is on the 30th floor, so the views are incredible, looking over Lake Michigan and downtown Chicago. There are 4 treadmills (one of which was out of order, and another made a horrible screeching sound), 3-4 ellipticals, and a stationary bike. There are also free weights and medicine balls. Good equipment and great views! Overall, if you are not planning on spending a lot of time in the hotel, this place is fine, but it is not exceptional.

Room Tip: Rooms higher up (20th floor and up) will have much better views. On the 5th floor, we overlooked HV...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
PatrickFilatre, General Manager at Hilton Suites Chicago/Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, November 18, 2011
Dear Eframp,

Thank you very much for taking the time to tell us about your experience with us. The feedback from our guests is very important to us and I assure you that I always share the comments received with our team members. I am pleased to say that safe will be instralled in our rooms over the next few months.
I am glad that you enjoyed our location and that you had the opportunity to use our pool located on the 30th floor of the hotel. As you indicate, the fitness is located on the same floor which makes exercising more rewarding as our guests can appreciate a beautiful view of Chicago.

We look forward to welcoming you back the next time that you are in Chicago.

Been to Hilton Suites Chicago/Magnificent Mile? Share your experiences!