“Very close and convenient to go to the theatre” 3 of 5 stars

Save up to 15%
Ranked #79 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
St. Louis, MO
“Very close and convenient to go to the theatre”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2008

My husband and I happened to be in Chicago over Halloween this year and bought tickets to see a show not far from this hotel. We rode a cab to our theatre because my husband has some trouble walking very far however the Cadillac Theatre is right next door to this hotel and the Chicago Theater isn't far. Also within walking distance is the Old Marshal Fields which is now Macy's but still as great as ever and just a few blocks E. on Randolph.
When we checked in, I couldn't find my preferred Kimpton number and so we went up to our room which was VERY small. I'm sure the room would have worked although a bit tight, but I finally found my number and we walked down to the desk and asked for an upgrade. The girl at the desk gave us a larger room on the same floor.
The hotel looks to have recently had some remodeling. The decor makes me think of a modern take on Art Deco. Very artsy and colorful and fun, and seems to fit into the Theatre District frame of mind. However, I agree with someone who didn't like the bathroom doors which are a type of French door and open out into the room. You just don't have the feel of privacy that you sometimes want in a bathroom.
Our new, larger room didn't have a view other than buildings but that's typical in a large city. This room looked a little bare as if a chair or piece of furniture was missing?? I'm submitting a photo so you can see for yourself.
We went to the wine reception in the lobby and the desk clerks and other employees were dressed for Halloween which made things fun and festive for the evening before we took off for our dinner and show.
My overall feel for the place was that it seemed nice enough if you get a good price. The bedding and bathroom seemed clean and the service for us was friendly although nothing overboard.
If you want to go to the Mag. Mile, most would probably want to take a short taxi ride.

• Liked — Not far from the theatre
  • Disliked — bathroom doors
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
  • Greek first
Cerrillos, New Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2008

I'm a frequent business traveler and often in Chicago on trips. At times, it's very difficult to even find a hotel in downtown Chicago, and this was one of those times. I recently had to pay almost $400 for one night at the Allegro. It was absolutely not worth it.
The hotel was filled to capacity with conventioneers, so check-in and check-out were very slow. There were very few elevators, which were worked beyond capacity with all the guests. The morning I checked out, our elevator stopped at every single floor from the 16th floor down to the lobby, but the elevator was almost completely full when I got on at the 18th floor, so I can only imagine how long it must have taken other guests to get downstairs.
The room was extremely small and cramped, even though it had obviously been renovated recently. The TV, bed, and decor were all new and were the high points of the hotel. Still, the rate was way overpriced for such a small room. The best thing about the Allegro was the room service, which was prompt. The food was good, and the prices were very reasonable for room service.
From now on, if my regular hotels are booked, I'll just take a cab farther out from the city because it just isn't worth it.

• Liked — Room service was a pretty good value
  • Disliked — Tiny room, terrible elevators
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2008

My husband and I stayed at this hotel on a Sunday night for our anniversary. I booked the room through Hotel Allegro's website and got an excellent sale rate for a 2 room suite complete with a 2 person jacuzzi tub. The room was fantastic! There was a very large living room with a flat panel TV , couch, table for four and a desk. The bedroom was a perfect size with a comfortable king sized bed with comfy bedding as well as an additional flat panel TV. The jacuzzi was excellent - big enough for 2, square in shape.

The lobby is very tastefully decorated. We attended the wine hour in the lobby and enjoyed some Chardonnay and Merlot. The staff was pleasant enough, especially the bellman.

We would definitely stay here again, as long as we were able to book a suite.

• Liked — The huge suite and the jacuzzi
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2008

The lobby of this hotel looks absolutely trendy and i love the usage of bright colors that leaves visitors a positive impression. the rooms were pretty small though, with a pretty cramped up feeling. it seems that they are quite good at making use of space. the electrical outlets are all lined up in a row next to the bed. in addition, when we first entered the room, we took awhile figuring out where the bathroom was.. the door of the bathroom looks just like the cupboard door! nonetheless, the service was great and personalized. it was sweet of them to welcome us with a greeting note, accompanied with chocolates. the neighborhood of this hotel also comprises of "cheap eats", as compared to michigan street. hence, it's a convenient location for travelors on a budget without a fuss for quality food. one caution of note: do beware of the open space parking lot across the street from the hotel. we were almost cheated by swindlers who claimed they were in charge of the parking lot and gave us a fake ticket for display. so i guess if you are staying at this hotel, it's better to just pay the extra expenses for valet parking. at least you are "assured" in a way that your car would be safe.

Stayed July 2008
New Smyrna Beach, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2008

I loved my room, at the time I was 19 year old female looking to get out on my own and explore. The room was fun, the location was wonderful. I wasn't prepared for the huge deposit I had to leave on my credit card in case of incidentals. ( I didn't even have a card at that point, and had to call my mom - embarrassing)
I was able to see all that I wanted, and get a feel of the city. I am not sure if they still hold money on your card but be sure to find out if they do - and ask the amount they hold before you book- if you are on any kind of budget. Would and hopefully WILL stay again!

• Liked — Fun rooms with color and class.
  • Disliked — Incental charges on card.
  • Stayed April 2005
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
zbald1
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2008

The location is great--easy walking distance to the theatres, Millennium Park, and the Art Institute.

The price is good--cheaper than other properties in the same neighborhood.

If you're on a budget, skip the valet parking, and park in the garage on the opposite corner of Randolph and Wells and save $14. Skip coffee delivered to your door. Dunkin' Donuts is across the street on Wells.

The staff is pleasant, if somewhat confused at times. The room was small, but within acceptable limits for the location and price.

There was one thing missing from the room. An electrical outlet! There was one that was not behind furniture, in the small bathroom. What good is an iron and an ironing board when the only place to iron is in the bathroom while standing in the tub?

While the property was recently renovated, expect to be mildly annoyed by the small things. The iPod dock was broken. The TV didn't work well with the inStream receiver. There are ice machine rooms on the even floors, but the one on 10 was an empty room. The computer center next to the front desk had a broken printer. On the other hand, the wireless network worked well.

Verdict? Great deal for a short stay to see a few shows, but plan to obtain services by walking around the neighborhood.

• Liked — Location, location, location!
  • Disliked — Those little things that were missing, like an electrical outlet.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2008

I stayed at the Hotel Allegro recently for business. When I checked in, they offered to upgrade me to the next class and I accepted. As they were trying to put me in the room, I was surprised when he said "Oh, I see a suite available, I'll put you there". It was spacious and beautiful, very well docorated.

If there were any drawbacks (I'm stretching here) I would say the sink is not deep enough and made shaving tough. Also the breakfast was quite pricy, especially compared to the room rate.

That being said, great stay. Thanks Hotel Allegro!

• Liked — Staff, suite
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel Allegro Chicago - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!