“Love this hotel!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Allegro Chicago - a Kimpton Hotel

You added Hotel Allegro Chicago - a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel Allegro Chicago - a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   171 W Randolph Street, Chicago, IL 60601 (Downtown / The Loop)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Direct: Get 20% Off!
Ranked #88 of 177 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
North Carolina
“Love this hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Allegro during our anniversary weekend and we were not disappointed. I have stayed at other Kimpton hotels in DC, and I must say that the Allegro in Chicago has become my favorite Kimpton hotel since our stay a few weeks ago.

The Rooms: We stayed in a King Suite and was pleased with EVERYTHING in the room. It was rather large...not sure what rooms other guests that have posted reviews stayed in but this room was great. We DID NOT hear noise from other rooms. We DID NOT hear the L. We had two large flat screen tvs (one in the living area and one in the sleeping area), plus two closets, a desk, a sofa, and plenty of seating. The iHome radios are a nice touch---you can listen to your ipod on it. I personally didn't have an issue with counter space in the bathroom. I simply moved the tissue holder, etc. to the space under the sink. My husband used the area to the left of the sink, I used the right. No problems there. The tub was a jacuzzi tub so no problems there. Lastly, the beds were nice, comfortable...you could sink into them.

The Service: We enjoyed the wine reception every night and took full advantage of it! Why not, it's free! And as for the wifi, ours was free with the room. We also ordered room service for breakfast and it was on time and yummy! I can see some other guests' complaint about not having a coffee maker in the room. But that didn't bother us at all...it might if you are a business traveler. And Mark (the concierge) helped us with EVERYTHING (he also got us a good seats at Frontera Grill and the Signature Room that weekend). One day, we missed having our room cleaned---but as we left our room around 2pm, we we asked by the staff if we would like our room cleaned (of course we would) and when we came back in an hour it was spotless. We even got a follow up visit to make sure the room was cleaned and met our approval.

The Hotel/Location: We thought the renovation of the hotel was fabulous. What a cool lobby. And you can't beat the location. We caught the train into Union Station so the walk was 15 minutes tops. We also saw the play Wicked while we were there and it's right down the street. Perfect! Plus we walked all the way up to The Water Tower, so IMO, it's kinda close to a lot of things. Still away from the Michigan Ave. foot traffic, but still accessible to may things.

We booked our room on the hotel site with a TravelZoo special ( king suite for $169/night). I would definitely stay here again! I love this place!

• Liked — The large room!
  • Disliked — Check in time is 3pm.
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (358)
  • Greek first
Arlington, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2008

We had three nights of vacation in Chicago and had read "pretty good" reviews of the Allegro. But the hotel wasn't "pretty good," it was fantastic! We'll go back again.

The decor is lively, the check-in staff were very helpful and courteous. Restaurant 213 at street level, and the bar Encore, were wonderful - great food and drinks.

We ate breakfast across the street at a Greek diner (except Sunday when everything is closed in the theater district except Dunkin Donuts - boo!). The Allegro coffee lady was funny and pleasant.

We saw "Wicked" just two blocks away - you can't get any closer to the theaters.

On the down side, our room was the smallest room I've ever stayed in, and the bathroom sink was hilariously tiny. But it was gorgeous (it's been recently remodeled), QUIET and the bed was comfy and plush, and it was enough space for a couple of nights. The price made it all worthwhile (less than $400 for 3 nights).

• Liked — Value and location
  • Disliked — small room
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2008

My husband and I stayed here for a long weekend, and we couldn't have been more impressed. The hotel's decor was colorful and stylish, and our room was immaculate with a comfortable bed and a huge LCD television. The hotel is committed to being "green" with a recycle bin and efficient faucets. Yes, it was a small room/bathroom, but this is an old downtown hotel.

Speaking of downtown, the location is great! It's in the theater district very close to all the L train lines. It's only a short walk from the lake and a lot of the Chicago sites.

We had minimal contact with the staff, but everyone was friendly and helpful--and there's free wine in the afternoon! We got this room on Hotwire for $90--what a bargain! We'll definitely stay again.

• 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
ma
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2008

The decor of the reception area is colorful, interesting and a blend between old and modern. It is a large, comfortable lobby area. This said, not much is "available" to do while you are in the lobby. Free Wifi is only for hotel guests. Even the 2 computers they had in the lobby area required $6 per 15 minutes or so...ridiculous in a luxury hotel to nickle and dime the customer.

As far as our stay...
To start off with, they got the reservation wrong. We booked a room with 2 beds, Orbitz even had called the hotel to confirm...we still got a room with 1 bed. The reception was rude with no attempt to resolve the issue. We even spent over 1 hour on hold with Orbitz as they tried to call the hotel.

Got the room...supposedly a larger one--it was smaller than many a hotels I have stayed at...yes...even in downtown areas. The room was nicely setup however nothing extravagent. There was a little surprise in the closet...something else for sale! You should stay just to discover this little funny incident! :)

At night I could hear the "L" trains. I could also hear the people in the next room.

One of the things mentioned is free coffee and tea. However it isn't at all hours of the day! The one day I got there in time to get it, it seemed like they were doing me a favor! I wanted to tea bags for my tea...can't have it! If I wanted a refill on my coffee...sorry...used up your free coffee already! Although I didn't have the free breakfast coupon I did see some others...the offer was you can have one pastry, one fruit, and one juice. It was controlled from behind the counter so you couldn't take a look at what you wanted...or get seconds. Heck...they even ran out of stuff so some people left hungry!

The conceirge was helpful. Gym was nice!

With no free breakfast, nickle and diming on computer use and other small things, and just the unsincere service I was not pleased with the 4-star hotel.

• Liked — Colorfulness of decor
  • Disliked — Staff Attitude
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Austin, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2008

This was our third stay at a Kimpton, and the hotel chain continues to deliver. Very mod, stylish lobby & hotel room. Great location near the Chicago el.

VERY large room, extremely comfortable bed (we slept until 10 every day!). Our suite had a fold out couch as well as a king bed - not always easy to find a good sleeping arrangement for 3 people. 2 armoirs with TVs. Very comfortable bed & great down pillows. Staff was very courteous. Excellent closet space. Room was quiet & had good views.

Free wine happy hour 5-6 pm every day. The lobby can be quite a happening spot during this time.

Only cons - virtually no counter or shelf space in the bath room. No vent either. Also, desk should have a mirror so that you don't have to put on your makeup in a steamy bathroom. These hotels are obviously designed by men!

• Liked — Location & bed comfort
  • Disliked — bathroom lack of counter space, lack of mirror other than bath
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Kimpton_Management, Hotel Manager at Hotel Allegro Chicago - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 14, 2008
Thank you for your review of the Hotel Allegro Chicago. We just underwent a $40m renovation and are happy to hear that you like our new style and received great service.

Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2008

Have stayed at this hotel many times over the past five years or so, this is my first trip back since they remodeled.
Apparently they missed me, since they put me in a HUGE suite. If you have ever stayed here, you know many of the rooms are tiny, well this suite was larger than some of my friends apartments!
I am glad to see the weird pink/orange color gone, it's been replaced with a blue/brown scheme - much more restful. Bathroom design was pretty bad, poor lighting, huge jacuzzi tub but counter space was unbelievably small, I mean there was NO room to even leave a glass with my toothbrush in it, had to repack all costmetics and put them on the shelf underneath. There was plenty of room in the bathroom to put a larger vanity or even a shelf, not sure why it was set up this way.
Bed was comfortable, great linens as usual, plenty of pillows and I loved the new plasma tvs in the room.
The living area was really big but not all that functional, had a small sofa, a desk and a dining table but the layout was kind of strange. It was hard to see the tv from the couch, much easier to hang out on the bed and watch.
The service was wonderful as usual, I have no complaints other than the room service guy wouldn't stop talking to me and leave and I was hungry. Club sandwich was just ok, roasted chicken was wonderful and I would highly recommend it.
I will be staying here again next month, so hopefully will see what the regular rooms are like...

• Liked — Huge Suite
  • Disliked — Bathroom, no counter space
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Tustin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2008

We were in Chicago just for a few days for a wedding and found the Allegro through Hotwire ($124/nt). While we also experienced some lapses in service and inconveniences, overall we had a good experience here.

First, the good: beautiful Art Deco designs everywhere; I felt like I was staying in the "Rhapsody In Blue" segment of the Fantasia movie. The bed was very comfortable and the lighting good; water pressure was fine. The windows are double-paned and as a result the traffic noises (and construction across the street) were much muted. For those complaining about the lack of coffeemakers in the room, the hotel does provide complimentary coffee/tea in the lobby every morning from 6:00-10:00 a.m. There is also a wine hour (sadly, no cheeses) every day at 4:00 p.m. at which time we saw plenty of guests. Take time to hang out in the lobby; it's spectacularly beautiful even if Art Deco isn't your thing. The neighborhood is much quieter at night than north of the river (ie. Magnificent Mile) being primarily a business district and is easily accessible by the El (just a short, safe walk away) and Metra to the suburbs (about 15-20 mins walk depending on which station you need to access). While this might be a turn-off to some, for us we were glad not to be fighting crowds on the sidewalks all the time. Yes, the vacant lot across the street is not exactly picturesque, but overall we appreciated the location for what it was--close to pretty much everything, and the opportunity to see a city in transition (there's construction going on all around). We chose not to rent a car and were glad we didn't; there are plenty of self-parking lots around but most don't allow overnight parking, and it seemed pretty steep (and unnecessary) to park at the hotel. I also appreciated the "green" aspect of the hotel with its separate trash/recycling cans in the room.

The not-so-good: I would agree with the previous poster about the dearth of a good variety of restaurants open on weekend nights or late in general. Despite the fact that there is a theatre next door and several (the Chicago, the Oriental) in the immediate neighborhood, we had a very rough time finding anything open beyond McDonalds at 9:30 p.m. on a Saturday night. Fortunately for us, we found Ronny's Original Steakhouse (near the Clark/Lake CTA station) which had phenomenal barbeque, but it took awhile to find it. (Incidentally, there are a few pizza places within walking distance--Giordano's up the street and Pizanos' on Madison--but they generally don't stay open that late. Also if you like Persian food there's a great place called Reza's on Orleans a short cab ride away.) Our flight was delayed and by the time we got to the hotel it was after 3:00 a.m.; the wake-up call we requested for the next day never came (good thing we set an alarm ourselves). We also waited about 45 minutes for a bag of ice to be brought to us (as there is no ice machine). The rooms and especially the bathrooms are quite small but seeing how it is an older hotel it's to be expected. If we had been staying longer than just a few days (and had luggage rather than living out of carry-on backpacks) it would've been pretty hard to store our clothes, as there seemed to be only a pair of small drawers for storage and a tiny closet.

We appreciated the Allegro for its location, its theme design and the efforts it took to make us comfortable. If given a similar opportunity to stay at a discounted price, I would be happy to stay here again.

Stayed June 2008

Been to Hotel Allegro Chicago - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!