“The Allegro” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Bethlehem
“The Allegro”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

I flew to Chicago tOn October 3rd to visit the National Shrine of St.Jude on 3200E 91st Street Chicago South side.I was advised to stay downtown as there is a scarcity of lodging and dining in the immediate area of the Shrine.

I booked one double room through Priceline.com and indicated I wanted to stay in the Loop.The Hotel I got was The Allegro a Kimpton Hotel. Priceline does guarantee the type of room they just book a double room and as I was with my son we asked at check in if they could give us a room with two beds which they did at no extra cost.

The receptionist was very friendly and helpful and both our check in and check out was rapid.

Getting to the Hotel from O'Hare International Airport took 45 minutes with the Blue Line train which cost a couple of Dollars each. The problem was the rickety old noisy train and I cannot imagine why those responsible do not put a newer modern train as in any European country where you can take a bus metro or train into town? Not everybody especially tourists drive and in Chicago you do not need a car.

The room and bathroom were very clean. The bathroom was small and had a hair dryer. The large room had a flat TV,safety deposit box,iron and board small bar but no kettle for coffee or tea. The beds and pillows were very comfortable. The aircondioning worked very well .Our room overlooked the terrace of an old building surrounded with taller ones. It did not matter as we were there for two nights and were out all day.

We had breakfast in our room on the first day which was extra and expensive as we had to leave early in the morning to visit the Shrine of St.Jude. Breakfast was good but you could also have a good and cheaper breakfast outside the Hotel.

We did not bother with the daily free wine tasting event as it was so crowded and we preferred to go and have a drink elsewhere.

The Hotel is very well located within walking distance to many of the major sites. Count on a good walk from 10 to 20 minutes. You can get to the theatres, restaurants the Art Institute Millenium Park etc....buses the train lines and taxis are all next door which you only need to go some sites which are far away.

I would definitely stay at the Allegro again and encourage other visitors to do so. Try and get a good rate by booking early.

The beds and pillows wer very comfortable

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
  • Greek first
Westbury, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I stayed here 1 night during a business trip. Great location in the Loop and nice, comfortable stay. The bathroom was small- but for a 1 night stay it totally worked. The bed was comfortable, the location good and the staff friendly- I even was allowed to run back up an hour after I checked out because I'd left some jewelry- it was sitting right where I left it even though the staff had been in the room already.
would recommend!

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

This hotel was located in great area of downtown Chicago. We were there over a weekend and it was super packed every evening. I think they had a wedding both nights.

The room was small which is expected for a big city but it didn't really feel clean. There were stains on the bathroom floor and the wall coverings seemed dingy. The décor was hip but it felt like it was just a cover for what was really an old structure that had been updated as cheaply as possible. The parking was expensive but again expected for a big city.

The staff was very nice and again the location was great. Probably would not stay here again even for a quick weekend trip to Chicago like this one.

Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

We were in town for a wedding at the University Club and this was only a short cab ride away. Room was as expected and love the Kimpton Perks.

Main issue on this trip was on Sunday the elevators were at least a 30 minute wait, and when they came they were already full. We ended up walking down 12 floors with our luggage.

Room Tip: Choose something low level with a street view.
Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

I stayed at the hotel for 3 nights while attending a conference at the McCormick conference center. Even though I had to take a taxi to the conference every day (about $8 one way) I preferred staying at the hotel because of the great location. It's in the middle of the theatre district and walking distance to Magnificent Mile and most attractions and therefore there are many restaurants etc near by to go to in the evening (there is nothing near the convention center). Happy hour was great. My room was ready when I arrived at 10am! the only reason I would not give it 5 stars is because the bathroom needs a little bit of updating. By overall very clean and helpful staff so would recommend it.

Los Altos Hills, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

We recently stayed at the Hotel Allegro for 4 nights while waiting for our apartment to be ready. The location was excellent, very convenient to everything. The lobby was beautiful and a great setting for the happening wine hour. The gym was also nicely equipped.

Now, as others have pointed out, the room is comfortable, but VERY small. I think for one person it would be perfect, but a little cramped for 2 people. You definitely have to be very neat. Not impossible, but something to be aware of. Make sure you ask for a room at the end away from the train tracks.

Now, onto service. Housekeeping was particularly efficient and seem to know exactly when I left the room. Everyone was friendly, EXCEPT for one person at the front desk who checked me in. He gave me a room right next to the tracks even when I asked for one away from it. I then had to move all my stuff down to ask for a switch. He also gave me NO information on the morning coffee or the evening wine hour. Luckily, I was able to overhear this info from his nicer co-workers. This person never cracked a smile or said one more word than what was absolutely necessary. I think if management reads this review, they would know right away which employee I am referring to.

I would have given Hotel Allegro 4 stars if not for this particular employee. Hopefully he changes his attitude or finds another, more suitable career than the hospitality industry.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Ormond Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

We stayed here when we were working in Chicago at the Chicago International Map Fair. Check in was easy, but the room was quite small. No noise from the street and no noise from above us. Bed comfy. Don't drink in the bar (very expensive even for a hotel in a big city). Happy Hour was fun. Checkout was easy but we had to wait quite a while for our bags which they had held for us until we were done at the Fair, parked out front waiting a good 15 to 20 minutes. Overall I would stay here again, we have stayed at the other Kimpton and it also was a very good experience. Staff helpful and for the most part efficient.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Allegro Chicago - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!