“Needs improvement” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Chicago, IL
“Needs improvement”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Very cute boutique hotel however we had minor issues with it and will stay elsewhere in the future.

Check in: You need to go up to check in. We called a couple days beforehand for early check in and got it. We were on the 5th floor, would have preferred higher and a view but didn't ask so not expected.

Room: Tiny. I expect this in the city but this was beyond small. Our bedroom at our apartment is bigger... If I had to stay more than one night here I would not be happy. Our blinds did not work so the room felt even smaller. We also had a lamp that needed to be fixed. Minor issues but feel they should be mentioned.

Encore: We stopped in for a couple of drinks before a wedding we were attending at the Sears Tower (I won't call it Willis, ever.) Bartenders were nice and efficient. Downtown prices. We had four drinks $50 including tip.

Check out: Very easy, you pay for parking here (if you drive in of course). It is a hefty $57 but to be expected in Chicago.

Some points: I agree with previous posters that the elevators do take a long time so just be aware. Our room was outside the elevators and we didn't have noise issues. We could hear people in the halls when by the closet or bathroom but it wasn't awful. I'm sure a room further down the hall would be fine. The toiletries were fantastic at this hotel. I would love to buy the shampoo and conditioner. Location is great.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor with a view if possible. If you can upgrade to a bigger room I'd highly...

1,579 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
Wayland, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

That the Kimpton Hotel chain revived this Chicago Theater District hotel speaks highly to its commitment to renovating classic city lodging. One has to wonder, however, if they could have gone a bit further. The rooms are tiny, with barely enough closet space for two people on a weekend getaway. The valet parking rate of $57 per day convinced us to cancel our rental car and use taxis, which are fortunately plentiful in Chicago. Linens were new and the king-sized bed extremely comfortable. Free coffee and tea and free wifi were also very welcome amenities. All in all, I wouldn't hesitate to consider this hotel again should we return to Chicago.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

This is a great hotel for group meetings and is conveniently located within walking distance to our office. The group sales manager Cody Umbach is a gem and is very helpful. The customer service is excellent. I have booked our last 2 meetings at Hotel Allegro and have had direct contact with Cody. Any issues I have had have been corrected immediately. We have also booked private business dinners at the restaurant 312 which is located in the hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Brownsville, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

We stayed at the Hotel Allegro to attend a Michael Buble Concert. We chose this hotel for it's close proximity to Union Station as we arrived on the Amtrak. It was a comfortable, 10 block walk. From the moment we arrived, we felt very welcome. Our King-bed room was very comfortable and the bed was Fantastic! The wine/beer hour was great, including some delicious appetizers and live music. The morning coffee in the lobby was very good. We will definitely be back on our next visit to the Windy City!

Charleston, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Excellent location for visiting the city...particularly if you make use of the CTA- public transportation. Walking distance to lakefront, Millennium Park, Michigan Ave. good Italian restaurant on site, and afternoon happy hour in hotel lobby. Room was nice size for an older in town hotel.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

I stayed here the weekend for the filming of transformers 4, so there was a few road blocks around the hotel. Because of this, parking was tough. However there was a public parking very near by for $38 for 24 hours which is the norm for the Chicago area.

I was upgraded to a suite which was really convenient. The only issue was the rollaway bed which I asked for. It was uncomfortable. The actually mattress was very old I presume, just like the rest of the hotel. It needs some renovation.

Another minor disappointment was the coffee maker and the elevators. There isn't one in the room, however there is one in the lobby so you can get coffee whenever you wanted to. Elevators were slow, we had to wait for quite some time to get to the lobby from the 7th floor.

Other than that everything was fine. Good location, (7-10 min walk to Magnificent mile), service was great and restaurants are available in the hotel if you didn't want to walk out.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

My husband and I stayed for two nights and the hotel itself was fantastically decorated. It made us feel very special to be there. The location, for us, was very good--close to all the Loop L trains and always easy to grab a cab.

The staff in the hotel were also wonderful. It was my birthday and when we came up to the room they had champagne and chocolate mousse waiting for me with a little birthday greeting. How sweet! Also, complementary coffee and tea service in the morning, very helpful for slow movers in the morning like me.

The room itself left just a little to be desired. The room was very small, which itself is not a problem, because I love these boutique hotels. Howeve, the way the room was arranged made it very difficult to maneuver. Maybe the furniture was too big, or just poorly placed? I smacked my shin on the bed more than once. The lighting in the room and especially in the bathroom was pretty bad which made getting dolled up kind of frustrating. Also, not much of a view. Small gripes.

Overall, I was happy with the stay but if I were to go back I would try to get the larger room instead of the standard king room.

• Stayed September 2013

Been to Hotel Allegro Chicago - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!