“Another Winner for Kimpton” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Allegro Chicago - a Kimpton Hotel

You added Hotel Allegro Chicago - a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel Allegro Chicago - a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   171 W Randolph Street, Chicago, IL 60601 (Downtown / The Loop)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Direct: Get 20% Off!
Ranked #88 of 177 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
Atlanta, Georgia
“Another Winner for Kimpton”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Kimpton offers boutique hotels at an affordable price in great urban locations. The Hotel Allegro is on the border of the financial and theater districts. It is about a 10-15 minute walk to the north end of Millenium Park. My room was small but very comfortable, with a desk and large flat screen TV. The closet is TINY. The bathroom, also small, is well appointed in marble, a single sink and decent counter space for the size. All to be expected from a building built in the early 1900's. The air-conditioning worked well. Kimpton still offers stocked mini-bars and comfy bathrobes. In contrast, the contemporary design done in black, white, blue and silver, with lots of patterns and interesting shapes creates a modern luxury feel.

The lobby is on the second floor and offers 3 distinct seating areas, also done in stylish contemporary design. Kimpton offers a complimentary wine reception in the lobby. If you choose to partake, come early to stake out your seats. If the hotel is full, the lobby gets busy and the queue for the wine and beer is continuous for the full hour of the reception. There are light appetizers passed and management puts out a few party games for guest use.

The elevators are small, can be slow, especially after the evening reception or when there are events in the ballroom on the 2nd floor.

There is a Starbucks in the building with access through the first floor entrance.

Built by the Eitel Brothers in 1926, as part of the entire block development, including the Cadillac Theater, the hotel has lots of architectural character and an art deco flair; including a working mail chute down the entire building.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (358)
  • Greek first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

I love the Allegro. Customer service is my highest priority in any service industry, and I found the Allegro in Chicago to surpass my every expectation. I loved the personal touch exhibited by every staff member I came into contact with; they truly did make me feel as though we were old friends. I stayed for either 4 or 5 nights; a slackening or small error would almost be an expectation in an ordinary situation. There's nothing ordinary about the Allegro. The amenities are unique in my experience. I enjoyed the loan of a highly rated yoga DVD along with a new yoga mat. This was only one of the offerings. Did I mention the food was great? My stay at a 5-star Chicago hotel was easily surpassed by the smaller, more intimate Allegro. What are you waiting for? They offer a last-minute promotion!

• Stayed September 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Very cramped king room with a small, poorly lit bathroom. This hotel is well located, but much less comfortable than other Kimptons (including others in Chicago). The lobby is very large and still was absolutely jammed during with Kimpton's usual complimentary late afternoon wine and beer hour.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

Recently stayed here on business for three nights. Honestly, the worst sleep I have ever gotten at a hotel. To say the walls are paper thin is an understatement. Impossible to sleep at all. I've stayed at hostels with better soundproofing. Don't stay here.

• Stayed June 2013
Chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

I had a horrible and bizarre experience at this hotel. After returning to my room mid-afternoon to charge my phone, I found that my reservation had been CANCELED without any notification, and that my phone charger had been stolen from my room! Not only did they kick me out without any compassion or care whatsoever, they took no responsibility for the mistake or the fact that my phone charger had disappeared from my room! This was so unfortunate, since the hotel was perfectly located for the conference I was attending, and I loved that they had yoga mats in the room. The staff was cold, heartless, and seemed to think they were doing me a big favor to let me use their phone to find another place to stay!! SO DISAPPOINTING!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Golden, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

I booked a month in advance. Still could not get two beds, until I paid an extra $75 a night. Was told it had 2 beds and hot tub. We got a pull out couch and a bath with jets. The first night a barking dog. The second a wedding directly under our room. They refunded a portion of my stay. That was nice, as we had 2 nights of limited sleep. The staff was great. The hotel has a lovely free wine tasting. I would however not regard this as a 4 star hotel. The W hotels have spoiled me. I would take a Westin or W over Klimpton any day. The best part of our stay was the exceptional concierge.

Room Tip: Book at a Star wood hotel.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Janesville, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

We were fortunate enough to get Hotel Allegro on a Hotwire bid. It was perfect for our weekend trip to see Book of Mormon. We walked everywhere and enjoyed the free wine tasting that the hotel offered. The front desk was kind enough to let us check in early, however, with that, we received the small room directly in front of the elevators. The room was small, but clean and had all we needed for our night in Chicago.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Allegro Chicago - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!