“Nice lobby...average rooms.” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Tampa, Florida
“Nice lobby...average rooms.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

The location of the hotel is good and you'll be impressed by the lobby...but it would be nice if Kimpton put the same effort into the rooms. Very thin walls (I think there was a 3am hot yoga class next door), a noisy air conditioner and lacking a bit in the decor. The hotel is geared toward weddings, so you might be awoken by hallway noise. I think I'd pay a bit more and stay somewhere else next go 'round.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
AllegroManager, Rooms Director at Hotel Allegro Chicago - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Thank you so much for sharing your feedback. I am sorry to hear that we did not quite live up to your expectations of a Kimpton Hotel, but we do hope that you will consider us for future visits as we continually work on improving the hotel.

1,579 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Enjoyed our stay at the Allegro just a couple of areas that let it down for us first being that when we arrive the doorman ignored us as we tried to struggle through a revolving door with two cases to then enter the hotel and see no lobby just a flight of stairs. Another guest then pointed out it was next floor up to check in.
Check in and all other staff encountered were great. Room was on the small side and despite our travel agent advising the hotel our stay was part of our honeymoon no reference was made of it at check in or any other time.
Walls in our room very thin and neighbours very loud - not a great combination.
We found the bathroom door frustrating too they have handles but they don't function and instead you push door as hard as you can to shut and even then there was a 1 " gap left between doors meaning no real privacy.
We also struggled to find somewhere nearby to eat (aside from the 312 adjoined to the hotel) on the day we arrived although it was a Sunday and despite being in the theatre district nothing much was open.
All this being said if we did visit Chicago again we wouldn't have any issues staying at this hotel although we may pay to upgrade to a larger room.

• Stayed October 2012
AllegroManager, Rooms Director at Hotel Allegro Chicago - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Thanks so much for your feedback. We are glad to hear that you had a nice stay dispite the small inconveninces encountered.
I am disappointed to hear about your first impression of the hotel upon your arrival and the lack of assistance from our doorman. That's certainly not how we want the arrival experience to be!
We'll roll out the red carpet for you next time, I promise!
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

Great hotel. I have stayed here several times this past year. My room accomodations have included the King Deluxe, Double Double Deluxe and the King Premier room. (The King Premier room is larger and my favorite to date...but it does cost more.) Allegro has 2 onsite restaurants/bars, 312 and Encore. Both are nice but I prefer 312 which has a more refined atmosphere where Encore has a nightclub vibe.

Pros: Great downtown location. Free wine reception in the lobby from 5-6. Staff is super. Great hotel for business travel.

Cons: Rooms are on the small side (although not a huge con because who hangs out in their rooms when there are so many cool things to see and do in Chicago?!), small bathrooms, the walls are thin so you can sometimes hear guests and the TV from adjoining room (I downloaded a free "white noise" app on my iphone which helps with this issue.) No pool.

Tip: Be sure to join the (free) Kimpton InTouch Guest Loyalty program which allows you to have free internet service at the Allegro and other Kimpton hotels.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 8th floor or above - since the El train track is next to the hotel.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thanks so much for your wonderful review of the hotel and our services. We appreciate your loyalty and look forward to many more visit from you. Sounds like you still have to stay in one of our suites.
Cary, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

We stayed here for a weekend and had a good trip. The happy hour was a nice touch before heading out each night. The location made Chicago seem very walk-able and it was pretty quiet. The rooms were really small but clean.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks so much for your review, we appreciate it and hope to see you again soon.
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Some of the many things that make recommending the Kimpton Allegro a no brainer include: the great, central location; quiet rooms; it's clean; plenty of good lighting in rooms and bathroom; the huge list of things they provide if you forgot them (they charged my iPhone at the front desk and gave me a handful of toothpaste samples, saving me trips to both the Apple store and pharmacy); free, decent, daily coffee in the lobby; comfy beds; their 312 Chicago restaurant is very good; cool design; quality staff; the bowl of Tootsie Rolls at the front desk. I appreciate that the room t.v. is automatically set to turn on at a low volume so you and your neighbors are not blasted with sound when you turn it on. Despite a very noisy wedding in the lobby, my 5th floor room was silent. The central location is convenient to the train station, Loop, Millennium Park, City Hall, and much more.

A few minor complaints: rooms a little small; my view in Room # 503 was of a brick wall (on the plus side, the wall completely blocked all the street noise); the room safe is bolted to the floor at the narrow entrance to the closet so the safe door and closet door bonk into each other, and access to the closet is blocked (tip: lock the empty safe to keep the door closed); the large plug on the good quality hotel hairdryer covers both outlets, so nothing else can be plugged in when using the hairdryer; the room thermostat doesn’t go below 65 C, which is only a problem because the comforter is so warm. But these are pretty minor issues that are easily trumped by all the things that work well at this property.

I had a great vegetarian risotto, glass of good Chianti, and delicious beet salad at the hotel's restaurant "312 Chicago" for about $50 including tip.

Chicago looked great! The previous Mayor did a great job of cleaning up the Loop and putting in beautiful planters and trees everywhere. I felt safe walking by myself in the evenings. I grew up near Chicago and I don’t remember this area ever looking so good.

Room Tip: Lower floors may have no view, but the brick wall view eliminates street noise.
Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your feedback and for recommending the Hotel Allegro! We hope that you will return for another visit very soon!
NYC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

I stayed here 3 nights for business. First, what they do well: the staff is excellent -- super-friendly and accommodating, from the desk staff to doormen to all housekeeping staff I ran into. I requested a coffeemaker in my room, and they brought up a Keurig with pods and mini-moo's -- very nice. Second, the lobby is gorgeous: funky, fun furniture. It's lovely that they have complimentary coffee in the morning (including all types of milk, well-labeled), iced lemon water in the afternoon, and wine in the evenings. What they do not do so well: first, elevators! There were three elevators, one to two of which routinely did not seem to be operating. Since the hotel was full one night, this resulted in approx 7-9 min waits for the elevator. The other days were similar, though service was spotty -- sometimes quick, sometimes long waits. Second, bathrooms: these bathrooms were tiny, and really poorly designed. A little more thought could have made it much better -- for example, a rounded shower curtain rod; a sink bigger than an eye wash station; more shelf space under the tiny sink; a toilet paper holder NOT behind the toilet. (Speaking of which, they had the crumbiest toilet paper -- literally.) Also, the room itself was clean and a decent size, but there was a musty smell by the window AC unit. Overall, it was acceptable, but not great.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback! We just love to hear that our staff is excellent, we are very proud to have them as part of our team.
I am sorry about the wait for the elevators and the wait. We hope this did not cause a major inconvenience. You may be happy to hear that we do hope to get a new bathroom design in the near future.
Hopefully we'll see you again soon!
London, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

There's plenty that is good about the Allegro and I particularly liked the Art Deco style furnishings and decor in the public spaces. The staff are friendly and efficient. It was very busy when I stayed there for four nights so one issue was the time it took to wait for the elevator. However, the hotel was full of business people so perhaps there were opportunities for the astute...
I found the bedroom rather austere and felt rather the sad Brit abroad upon finding no kettle for my morning tea. I also felt frustrated by thin walls allowing me to hear my neighbours' conversations if they spoke above a discreet whisper which, regrettably, they did.

Room Tip: Perhaps if you are travelling solo, ask to not have a room next door to a double, in order to minimi...
Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
We are glad to hear that you found plenty of good things at the Allegro! Please accept my apologies for the slow elevator and the noise from the noisy neighbors.
On your next visit we'd certainly be more than happy to supply you with a tea kettle in your room for your morning coffee, just let us know!

Been to Hotel Allegro Chicago - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!