“nice but not as nice as NYC Kimpton” 4 of 5 stars

Save up to 20%
Ranked #78 of 172 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersGold level
cincinnati, ohio
“nice but not as nice as NYC Kimpton”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

The hotel was very nice but does not compare to the New York City Kimptons. Much different service and attitude for families

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
  • Greek first
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

This place was amazing! Despite being in the Theater district, which is kinda dead, the hotel is close to the train, has a great atmosphere and really nice staff. They have really nice touches as well, like a fully stocked fridge of emergency supplies, huge bathroom, free wine, robes and high-end soap and shampoo etc etc etc. there is also a really nice "happy hour" where you get free drinks and can mingle with other guests!
I would have expected to pay way more for everything we got.
All hotels should be this nice.

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

Gorgeous lobby and staircase! Felt like I was walking onto the Titanic! Hotel personnel were great and I thoroughly enjoyed "happy hour"! I enjoyed the "chill" music in the lobby. Felt like I was in a nice lounge. :)

Our room, on the other hand, was a complete turn off. Extremely small, inconvenient, tacky decor overload. I guess I get the sizing of the room (ssssssssooooooo small - 220 sq. ft. says the website) since it is an old building but the decor was just fugly! Someone should've mentioned to the "designer" that the darker the paint, the smaller the room appears. A blue room? Seriously? Website states, "Design inspired by retro luxury cruise ships". If they were going for a scene from the 70's/80's classic "The Love Boat", I think they nailed it. The mirror in the room was useless since it had some dirt-like looking designs on them. I'm assuming the age of the building had to do with the fact that the bathroom had no exhaust fan. God forbid I took a hot shower! Waiting about 20 minutes after to use the bathroom mirror was annoying. Sink was small, useless, and you had to have the water running slowly otherwise it'd splash everywhere. Our iPod/clock didn't work but we brought small speakers so we didn't miss it much! The best thing about the room was that it made my husband and I NOT want to stay in there so we were out all day and night to avoid our roach motel of a room. I suggest you ask for anything BUT the Queen/King Deluxe Room unless you're by yourself and like to take cool showers.

Obtaining Internet access is tedious. Have to enroll into some loyalty program before gaining access.

Pretty dead in the area on weekends but thankful for the Dunkin' Donuts next door (hotel doesn't offer continental breakfast) and the transit system, a hop, skip and away!

Loved seeing dogs in the hotel but thought it was a TAD much to allow dogs to sit on the couches.

5-10 min walk to Michigan Ave, 15 min walk to Millennium Park so no biggie!!!

Hotel website states that self-park parking is $44 with in and out privileges. If you don't plan on driving (my husband and I took cabs), then it's $36 without in and out privileges.

The hotel is a 7 out of 10, our room was a 2 out of 10 (our bed was comfy at least!). I think we got a good deal with the pricing of the hotel too so all in all, a decent experience.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on a higher floor as the hotel is LITERALLY right next to the
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

I travel a lot. Half the month I'm in hotels - and I dig a Kimpton when I can find one. The first night in Chicago I was at my favorite hotel in the world, over at The Peninsula. When my trip was extended by a day, I called my agent and found out the Pen was sold out. "How about that Kimpton on Randolph?" I asked, and so I checked in and it was bliss.

Big, roomy, great staff and comfy bed. I dig it.
Thanks Kimpton Allegro for a great stay.

Brad

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Oxford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for one night when the Hyatt was overbooked.

It has a lovely entrance and lobby area and when we arrived they had a happy hour going on with free beer/wine.

Our room was very nice but overlooked an office block and there was only a double bed which felt a little tight for the two of us.

The staff were all very polite also.

Rochester, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2011

My girlfriend and I came to Chicago for the weekend for her birthday, which the hotel found out about when I made the reservation. When we entered the room we found a bottle of champagne on ice with two flutes. The staff went out of their way to help us make the most of our stay.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2011

We stayed at the Allegro for 5 nights. ALL staff friendly and helpful. Hotel immaculately clean. Coffee/Tea in the morning is great, along with newspapers. Lobby/living room area is huge and comfortable. Evening wine reception is very lovely, would be great to expand the time by an hour or so. Afternoon ice water is a bonus! Public transportation across the street. Hotel has cabs waiting out front. We like to walk, many places within walking distance. Millenium Park about a 7 block walk. Good shopping on State St. about 4 blocks away. Greektown 1 mile away. Avec restaurant and Blackbird both highly recommended by others are within walking distance. Have cocktails at the top of the John Hancock building, river boat tour, and the neighborhood bike tour are must do's. In the summer Millenium Park has free orchestra concerts on Wed., Fri. and Sat. nights. Maxwell St. market on Sunday am. The BEST tortilla's at Rubi's. Nothing much to buy there, a typical outdoor flea market. Also some kind of water ice, not as sweet as we have in Phila. not like ice cream either. Very refreshing and delicious. Jose Garces from iron chef has a restaurant there. He has several in Phila, all are amazing. Did not get to this one, but I imagine it is as amazing as ones here.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Allegro Chicago - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!