“Poor Customer Service” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard Chicago Downtown River North

You added Courtyard Chicago Downtown River North to your Saves list
Courtyard Chicago Downtown River North
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   30 East Hubbard at State Street, Chicago, IL 60611 (Near North Side)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Culinary Adventure Offer
Ranked #68 of 177 Hotels in Chicago
Detroit
“Poor Customer Service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2009

I am a Marriot Gold member with over stays of over 70 night in 2009. I made a hotel reservation to spend 2 nights ( 17 July-18 July, 2009) at the Courtyard Hotel using the Marriott Reservation line. I found a certificate for Gold Members at the Marriott website for a “Treat Yourself to a weekend Escape and a free 2nd night”. I confirmed with the reservation agent that this was valid for my stay and he did. He said I just needed to print out the webpage and give it to the desk at check-in. At check-in I presented the certificate to the front desk. They called the “Marriott Rewards Hotel Resource Desk” and confirmed it was valid and would be honored. I spent the 2 nights at this hotel and just hours before my check-out I received a phone call from the desk telling me they made a mistake and the certificate was not going to be honored and I was going to be charged for the 2nd night. If I would have been told this at the time I made the reservation, or at check-in time, I would have made other arrangements. I have filed a complaint with the BBB. I do not see how they can get away with something like this. Stay somewhere else while in Chicago.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Greenwood, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2009

Typically good Courtyard by Marriott. Very comfortable room with great King bed and flat screen HD TV. Minor problems with tub not draining and non-functional clock-radio were handled promptly with follow-up to insure satisfaction. Fire station a couple of blocks away makes several runs each evening but siren noise was transient and tolerable. Millennium Park, Grant Park, Magnificent Mile, Loop, Navy Pier all within walking distance. Bus stops on Michigan or Wacker plus el station three blocks away puts entire city at your fingertips. Nice open patio next to pool on 6th floor can be used for picnics. Nice hot tub, modestly sized pool. Very nice fitness center. Would definitely stay here next trip to Chicago,

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Oakbrook Terrace, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2009

Our extended family booked four rooms at this hotel for a family wedding. The hotel is beautiful and very clean. The location is in the River North area within walking distance to The House of Blues and other nightlife, dozens of popular restaurants, shopping and sightseeing.

The room was comfortable and clean. The beds were very comfortable. There were beautiful photos of Chicago on the walls. The negative would be the sink/closet area. The bathroom contained the tub/shower and toilet. The sink was outside in a kind of alcove, adjacent to the room closet. It made it tough when one person was at the sink and another wanted to get into the closet or go into the bathroom. I was surprised that there wasn't a blow dryer mounted by the sink. I came to find out later that it was in a bag, hanging in the closet. There was also an ironing board and iron in the closet.

My biggest negative was that onsite parking was $45 per day. You have in and out priviledges, but you'll need to tip each time. We used Marriott Reward points to pay for our room, but others in my family spent around $189 per night and still had to pony up the $45 per night parking.

Another negative was service. My sister-in-law checked in first and gave her credit card for her room and for a second room for her brothers. She specifically reminded the front desk staff that the second room occupants were to be told that the room was taken care of. When my brother-in-law checked in, the clerk ran his debit card, resulting in pending charges on his card, thereby limiting his use of the card. It took two tries with the staff to get the whole thing taken care of. Another problem was at check out. We had items in refrigeration and needed the bell staff to retrieve them. There was only one bellman working at noon on a Saturday and it took some time before we could get our items.

There is a sandwich restaurant in the hotel and a Starbucks.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Central, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2009

I got a TravelZoo tip on a hot deal at the Courtyard River North and booked a two-room King Suite with sofabed for $109 for a family trip to see the Cubs play and to show our young boys some sights of the city. As a regular visitor to Chicago I know this is a great rate for May. I am glad I didn't pay much because the staff really dropped the ball on our stay.

Upon check-in, I noted that we were four (4) persons on our reservation and, indeed, there would be foru (4) persons using the room. I wanted to be sure the sofabed was made up for sleeping. Igor at the front desk, who checked us in, assured me the sofabeds are always made up. I had asked for a refrigerator and a "feather-free room" and Igor assured me both were taken care of as they had assigned me - at my request - suite 1515 that overlooks State Street. My wife had stayed in this room on two previous girls trips to the city and it's one of the best in the property.

Based on Igor's assurance, we didn't bother to check either the pillows or the sofabeds and headed out quickly for a stroll to the Signature Room at the Hancock and dinner at Boston Blackie's. Upon our return, we found the sofabed as not made up and every pillow in the room was filled with down. Our boys were exhausted and wanted to go to sleep ASAP. We also noted the A/C unit wasn't responding to our lowering of the temperature on the thermostat so I called the front desk to ask for both linens for the sofabed and for an engineer to come fix the A/C problem. Housekeeping didn't show up for :20 minutes and brought only linens and one pillow. It took him another :15 minutes to bring the extra pillow and the engineer came at this time.

I am sorry, but :35 minutes is TOO LONG to have to wait for any service of this type. I know this is but a three-star property but I regularly stay at three-star Marriott properties on business and they are most often very responsive. This time - when I really needed responsiveness - this Marriott property did not deliver.

When I made the management aware of this at the time of the occurrance they said they were sorry - that's it. There was no offer of any compensation for the bad service. I suspect it had a lot to do with the rate that I paid for the room, and if that's the case, shame on them.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
waterford, mi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2009

In lieu of not having enough money to send my teenager to a warm climate, I took her and 2 of her friends to Chicago. We went on a Thursday and come home on Saturday. I chose this hotel upon a recommendation from a friend that had stayed there and it was literally one of the nicest places I've stayed. Unbelievably it was only $65/night with my AAA discount in CHICAGO!! We got a King room with a pull out couch and both were very comfy. The room came with a fridge and a microwave and there were french doors closing off the king bed and bathroom from the living room area. It was absolutely perfect for teenagers and a mom....Room was clean, staff was VERY courteous, room was quiet (albiet the traffice noise, but can't help that in Chicago). They even let us check in a few hours earlier and check out an hour late. The place was only a few blocks of the Magnificent mile and very close to the Navy Pier as well. I would definitely stay here again if I went to Chicago and would HIGHLY recommend it!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2009

For a last minute trip we scored with this hotel. Our rate was $79 a night for two doubles. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The room was clean and comfortable. The location was good, two blocks from the red line and right on bus route 29. We did a power tour of the museums, aquarium and zoo; and this was a good location for our "base camp". The pool and fitness center is shared with a neighboring condo complex. The fitness center is very good, the pool is average and needed cleaning, the hot tub was good. I would stay here again and certainly would have expected to pay a higher rate.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Amherst Jct, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2009

We come to Chicago at least once a year. Not real loyal to any particular hotel, whoever has the best rate, but try to stay in the River North area because it's close to everything. Got a GREAT rate using my Marriott Rewards card...this hotel was very clean and the staff was great...house keeping even stopped by to see if everything was ok in our room. Would for sure stay here again! Not to mention Marriott has the BEST BEDS EVER!!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Courtyard Chicago Downtown River North? Share your experiences!