“Classic hotel stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard Chicago Downtown River North

You added Courtyard Chicago Downtown River North to your Saves list
Courtyard Chicago Downtown River North
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   30 East Hubbard at State Street, Chicago, IL 60611 (Near North Side)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
$20 Daily Credit
Ranked #60 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Chicago, Illinois
“Classic hotel stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

Stayed here for a girls night out on New Year's Eve. Got a double room on the 15th floor. Lovely hotel, nothing particularly special about it, though. Amazing service from personable staff. I would definitely recommend it for a clean, no-fuss stay.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Frankie S, Senior Executive Assistant at Courtyard Chicago Downtown River North, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Hi there!

Thank you very much for leaving your review. We are glad you had an easy stay! Sometimes travel can be exhausting and complicated- we strive to make things stress-free and relaxing for our guests!

We'd love to see you at the hotel again. Next time you come to visit, let us know what can make your stay truly special. We'd love to "wow" you!

All my best,

Senior Executive Assistant

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

We stayed here for a wedding we were attending at Trump Tower, which is just around the corner. We are local to Chicago so my review may be slightly different than those who travel here for vacation/business.

Parking/valet: The cost is $57/day WITH in-and-out privileges. So if you plan to go about the city via your own car and expect to go in and out of the garage more than once a day, its probably worth it. However, if you plan to go about the city by cab/walking, this price is a total rip off and you need to check out other local garages using spothero.com, I've used it several times here in the city and you get parking for a fraction of the price.

Overall its a nice hotel, the lobby is very small and there are only 4 elevators, but we didn't seem to have to wait too long when going about out business. We had a king bed and the room had a sofa sleeper couch. I wouldn't recommend more than 3 people to a room. I also recommend a higher floor number if you can, otherwise you'll probably get a view of the cooling tower/maintenance areas. We had lots of pillows and were overall very comfortable, and I liked having our thermostat in our room. The only thing I didn't like is that the hotel charges you a hold fee on your credit card. We didn't know this prior, and they did this at check in. We weren't happy about that and the front desk staff has a lot to be desired in customer service and friendliness. But then again, so do a lot of Chicago hospitality businesses.

Location: There are a LOT of great bar/restaurants in the area such as HUB 51, Frontera Grill, and Rockit Bar & Grill, to name a few. It is very centrally located in regards to the shopping on Michigan Avenue and restaurant scene. River North in general is a very safe area for tourists, so you should have no fears. There is also a 7-11 and Glazed & Infused Donut shop at your fingertips with this hotel.

We'd stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello akm107!

We loved having your wedding group at the hotel! It was a lot of fun. You are indeed a Chicago-insider, and we appreciate the tips and tricks that you've listed here.

As for parking, we agree that it's definitely a value if you plan to take the car in and out during your stay or if you're looking for convenience. Parking can be limited in the downtown Chicago area, and our valet pricing is consistent with the other hotels in the area. If you plan to leave your car for the week, however, there may be an option that is a better fit for you! Ask us for suggestions anytime.

Akm107, I sincerely apologize that you did not experience the true level of service we are known for from our front desk team. I am also sorry that the room fee/incidental hold was not properly explained to you. At many hotels, including ours, the systems automatically authorize the method of payment at check in. The hold typically falls off in 2-10 business days, depending on your bank. This can be an inconvenience, and I am sorry it was not addressed. This will certainly be a training opportunity for our team.

Overall, however, I was very happy to hear that you enjoyed the accommodations and our stellar location! Being in the Heart of River North really makes it easy to find amazing food, drink, and activities during a downtown stay.

We hope to see you again! If you have any additional comments, it'd be wonderful to hear them. Feel free to reach out to me directly!

Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

This hotel exceeded expectations. It was quiet (barring the occasional emergency vehicle), clean, comfortable, and very well located. Within 8 blocks walking distance you have shopping, Cloud Gate, many excellent restaurants, theater row, Millennium Park, ice skating, Art Institute, etc. the price at $150 per night mid December was extremely reasonable. There was a really neat bar / restaurant adjacent to the lobby. I also liked the layout of the room as the bed faced the window and you do not share wall space with the bed the in next room. Nice downtown views from all rooms. The staff was really friendly and helpful. Loved them. Will stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Frankie S, Senior Executive Assistant at Courtyard Chicago Downtown River North, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Hello Julie!

Great to hear from you. We're so glad you enjoyed your recent stay with us! Being in the heart of the city does have it's perks- being a short walk from nearly everything is definitely one of them!

You had some really insightful notes on the layout of our guest rooms. You may find this article on the Marriott "Underground" design lab interesting! ---> http://bit.ly/1h9eHLu

Thank you again for choosing us for your stay. We look forward to seeing you again!

Fishers, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

Great River North location, walkable to lots of fun Chicago experiences! There was a goof on our reservation when I checked in on Friday night, but the management team went out of their way to make it right.Their response to this reservation mix-up far exceeded my expectations and has certainly earned my loyalty. In fact, absolutely every staff member I encountered was super friendly, welcoming and professional.
The hotel lobby is small but clean and efficient. The rooms were clean and updated. There is a nice-ish restaurant off the lobby. The coolest thing just off the lobby of this hotel is Glazed and Infused....a boutique donut shop that had ridiculous donuts. When we all came in from a night on the town, there were samples of these donuts in the lobby and that determined our first stop in the morning :)
While this isn't some opulent property, it was a tremendous value and perfect location. My room was on the 10th floor and faced State Street. There was considerable noise (sirens, horns, party people) late into the wee hours, but I always expect that in an area like this. Light sleepers may want to bring ear plugs. The beds and pillows were comfortable and supportive. We'll be back!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Hi Julie,

Thank you so much for your review! We appreciate the time you took on it. I'm really glad to hear that our team was able to go above-and-beyond for you; it's what we enjoy doing most!

I agree- Glazed & Infused have the best doughnuts ever! It definitely is a good way to start a sleepy morning. Next time, I recommend trying a Davanti Enoteca breakfast- their sausage is unbelievable!

We are glad you enjoyed your stay. Being in the heart of the city, guests can sometimes hear the sounds of the city in the evening. As for your recommendation of ear plugs- we always have them in stock at the front desk for our light-sleeping guests!

Julie, we really hope to see you again soon. Thank you so much for choosing our hotel!

Hobart, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a night and was the longest night I have ever went through. It was like we had the windows open all night long the bed was very uncomfortable. The staff is great, location was on however over all I will not be staying here again.

• Stayed December 2013
Hello,

We appreciate your review. We are very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us recently. Although being in the heart of the city naturally lends itself to city noise, we are working on finding solutions to help further sound-proof our rooms. We are glad you enjoyed our staff, and we are sorry you did not rest well. We really hope you will stay with us again and give us another opportunity to 'wow' you.

All my best,

Lafayette, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

While the location is great, my friend and I both had a terrible night sleep. The beds were lumpy and so creaky...anytime one of us rolled over, the noise would wake the other person! And the walls were so thin. It did not help that we had noisy children to one side and group of partying to the other. Everything else was fine...clean rooms and good service.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Hello Corinne!

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we're doing. I'm very sorry to hear that you and your travel companion did not have a restful night. Providing an excellent night's sleep to our guests is a top priority, and your experience did not reflect that. I'd love to talk more with you regarding your stay. More details will help us to mend any issues and provide better service moving forward.

I'm really glad you enjoyed the location, cleanliness, and service. In the future, we'll work hard to make sure that every aspect of your stay is excellent!

If you are willing, please reach out to me at your earliest convenience.

frankie.solomon@marriott.com
Allentown, Pennsylvania, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

My family and I stayed at this hotel for the Chicago Marathon. We primarily chose this property based on its proximity to the Magnificent Mile and race events. I know that Courtyard hotels tend to be pretty reliable in terms of quality. This was no exception. The staff was very friendly and helpful. On our final day there, the staff even directed us to a terrific breakfast location (even drawing a nice map for us to the location and telling us her recommendations on the menu). The room was very clean and relatively large for a city hotel.

The one drawback to this property was the lack of on-site eating options. The hotel restaurant was NOT good. Post marathon, my family went down to the restaurant. To be honest, all I wanted was a glass of wine and some type of food. After waiting for 45 minutes for some brushetta, I learned that the staff failed to even order it. My glass of wine took nearly 20 minutes to arrive (even though I was sitting at the bar and it was not crowded). Overall, we cancelled the order for food and went elsewhere. The service at the restaurant was the one bad mark against the property.

The price of the room, for a Courtyard with relatively few frills, was quite high. Next time, for only a bit more money, I would pay to stay at the Marriott on the Magnificent Mile. The extra money would be worth it for better amenities.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Hello Triattygirlpa,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We are very glad you enjoyed the large accommodations and found our staff helpful. We are sorry to hear that you did not receive exemplary service at Davanti Enoteca. We've brought your review to the attention of our restaurant management team, and I know they are taking steps to make sure the best training and service are in place in the future.

I understand you also felt our rate was particularly high, and I'm sorry you feel this way. Our rates fluctuate based on demand, conventions, sporting events, and more. The Marathon is one of the busiest weekends on Chicago's calendar, and the rates at hotels around the city tend to reflect that.

We'd love to have you come stay with us again on another weekend! We feel our unique services, room size, and staff are really stand-out in the Chicago area. We hope to see you again!

(312) 329-2500

Been to Courtyard Chicago Downtown River North? Share your experiences!