We spent four nights at this very nice chain hotel. At no time did we wish we'd booked elsewhere... "but", you are downtown. In Chicago that means several things you might not consider.
Chicago appears to be in the midst of a 'crime wave', publicized in the local news, and this results in 'all night long' emergency vehicle sirens and horns. We resided on the 8th floor and heard those noises that are common to 'downtown' locations. The room was quiet overall, we could hear 'loud' noises, a slamming door for instance, from other rooms but not normal noises. Additionally, large buildings use large refuse dumpsters and those are changed out at night, late night. These big, metal dumpsters are noisy and you will be made aware of that fact, unless you are a very heavy sleeper. Common big city downtown issues. But present...
The room is neither spartan nor luxurious. We found it a little small but effective use of space made it very functional. Desk and computer connections were fine. TV was large and clear, limited channels but overall okay. The bed was very nice, king in our case, and one of the most comfortable mattresses we've experienced in hotels (even B&B). The bathroom was fine, decent space, usual amenities (dryer, iron, etc) and decent tub with 'rain shower' type shower head. That mattress, gotta give it five stars, so comfortable.
Many good restaurants are found within a six to eight block distance, easy walking and the sidewalks are traveled by many. It is a social experience. We enjoyed the Grand Lux Cafe for dinner (wild place) and Tempo for breakfast (the in-house restaurant can get pricey!). Unos famous Italian 'pizzeria' was very entertaining and boasts a good menu and reasonable prices, a few blocks north and west. Of course, Starbucks is in the hotel and busy. A block away is Ruth Chris Steak house and directly across the street is Shaw's Crab House, reputed to be a nice experience. You will not starve unless you stay in your room... and there is room service!
And talking about service? That is one area that shines. From the moment we arrived, the staff was extremely helpful and friendly. Peter (at the door and doing 'bellhop' duty) was very agreeable and gave great advice! He made our stay much easier by helping with directions that were correct and suggestions that were well stated. The desk was pleasant and responsive to our needs. You cannot help but notice when folks are just 'plain' friendly and it makes tipping a pleasant experience.
Finally there is an 'in house' exercise room to help burn off those restaurant provided calories. Most hotels have a few cardio machines and one or two resistent based stations. Not this Courtyard. You will be greeted with a pretty complete gym. Free weights, about 12 machine stations for all muscle groups, six treadmills, four elliptical and two bikes. They even have a "Smith Machine" (if you exercise in a a good gym, you'll know what that is), surprising and clean, maintained well. Lap pool, whirlpool and a nice dry sauna top off the fitness area. Kudos!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover a haven of urban sophistication among downtown Chicago, hotels at the Courtyard Chicago Downtown/River North Hotel. Located in the trendy River North area on famed Restaurant Row, this hotel offers easy access to fine dining, exciting nightlife and the closest proximity to the EL Train. Experience the Windy City from the modern comforts of over-sized downtown hotel rooms offering plush bedding and amenities. Grab a gourmet doughnut and coffee at Glazed and Infused for breakfast, and enjoy a unique and authentic meal at Davanti Enoteca, located in the Courtyard Chicago Downtown/River North Hotel. For those looking to stay fit on the road, the fitness center with indoor pool sets this hotel apart from the rest- not to mention a beautiful sundeck for when the weather is nice. Plan accordingly with technologically adept meeting space, ideal for corporate gatherings or intimate social functions. Depart from typical downtown hotels and take advantage of the revitalized Courtyard Downtown/River North Hotel located in the heart of Chicago. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Marriott, Expedia, Priceline, HotelTravel.com, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Courtyard Chicago Downtown River North reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Courtyard By Marriott Chicago Downtown Hotel Chicago
- Courtyard Chicago Downtown
- Chicago Marriott
- Chicago Courtyard