“Wonderful Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 168 hotels in Chicago
South Bend, IN
“Wonderful Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2009

Really loved the hotel. Second time there. Paid with tax $114. My girl friend and I wanted a room with 2 beds and when we arrived at 1pm, we were told there were none available so they gave us a suite. My only regret is that we didn't spend enough time in the room to enjoy it. It was beautiful.

The staff at the front desk (African American) was terrific and very helpful. Couldn't have asked for a better worker.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends

1,113 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
CT
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2009

Don't let the reviews fool you, when the low price seems too good to be true, it is. We arrived and were very disappointed with the condition of the hotel and the neighborhood, and when we saw our room we decided we were out of there. The manager, Jeremy, said that since we booked on the internet (on their website, not some third party) they would not refund our money even though we were dissatisfied and were moving. He was obviously used to having this arguments with unhappy guests. Luckily we booked with AMEX and will dispute the charges but what a terrible start to our trip to Chicago. I even offered to let them keep the money for the first night and refund the second night, but they wouldn't do it. Can't deal with people who take your money for something and won't give it back when you tell them you are unhappy and won't be using their facility.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2009

It seemed like such a promising start: they had a room ready for me when I got there very early. Sure it was a queen, and I'd paid for a king, but I could put up with that.

Sadly, it was all down hill from there...

After heading out for the day I returned to the room for the evening and tried to set up a wake up call, but for some reason the phone in the room was set to 'rotary' and while I could hear it churning, it wasn't connecting with anyone. I gave up and set alarm on my watch and went to bed. But I couldn't sleep because of the stratchy things in the bed: turn out they were toe nail clippings. Yep, the bed had only been made after the last user, the sheets hadn't been cleaned. Disgusting.

In the morning I went for a shower, but the setting on the shower head was stuck between two settings and wouldn't move. All I was getting was a dribble by the one cluster of massaging jets: the other two clusters were too full of gunk to send water out. DISGUSTING!

I told the Front Desk this (again, phone not working... had to go down in person), and when I returned for my second (and thankfully last) night the shower was working properly and the phone working. And the sheets appeared to be clean. Unfortunately the rest of the bedding wasn't so good.

I had noticed it was cold the previous night, but there was a major cold snap on in Chicago so I just put it down to that. That day, however, had been mild and so there shouldn't be a problem. That is when I really looked at the bedding (other than the toenail-ridden sheets) and discovered there was only one blanket on the bed. A summer-weight blanket. And the bed spread was also a summer weight blanket. Also, no extra blanket in the closet, as you'd expect in most hotels. I spent the first half of the night waking up every hour, getting up and turning the heat up in the room and then tucking myself back in and hoping it would get better. Finally, around 2 am I got up, maxed out the heating, folded the blankets over a few times and got fully dressed before returning to bed. I managed to sleep the rest of the night until my early wakeup call.

When I tried to check out using the on-screen process it said that it could not be done. Great! Another stop when I am trying to rush out... I go to the front desk and am told that I couldn't check out that way because I had prepaid the hotel through a third party, and I had to pay for the incidentals. I said, yes, but I gave you a credit card for the incidentals at check in. It is the credit card that you just finished saying "should I just leave it on your ...... card?" I am treated to a lecture on how if I had gone through the hotel to book my room this wouldn't have happened. Way to punish your customers!

To add insult to injury, I am coming off the elevators on the first floor and the bell man walks by, heading away from the front door. I am almost at the front door (a good 30 feet away) and I hear "Hey you! Do you want a cab?" yelled at me. No, I don't want a cab, what I want is something to help me forget the horrible stay I had at this disgusting hotel.

P.S. It is a day later and I now have a major head cold. Wonder why...

• Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2009

I stayed for 4 nights in January. Got a great last minute rate through the hotel's website. I took the "L" from Midway airport, got off at Madison station, and was literally steps from the hotel entrance. The location absolutely cannot be beat! Hotel staff was friendly and helpful. The room was very clean, comfortable and spacious, esp. the bathroom. The noise from the "L" was not bothersome to me. I would definitely stay at the Silversmith again -- very highly recommend!

• Liked — location
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Pittsburgh, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2009

My friends and I came to Chicago for a girls getaway weekend/30th birthday party. We found the Silversmith hotel on hotels.com. The price was very attractive at $80/night and the photos looked really nice. We knew we didn't need a large hotel because we wouldn't be there very much so we went with the hotel.

The staff was extremely friendly upon check-in, thanking my friend three times for booking at the Silversmith. The concierge was more than helpful with our bags, hailing us cabs, welcoming us back to the hotel, wishing us a good day when we left, and giving us accurate information about the city. The room was much larger than expected and the high ceilings were a plus. The bathroom was large enough for all 3 of us to get ready in the same mirror at the same time. Most of you girls know how difficult it is to get ready at the same time in one bathroom! We found that very convenient.

We are already planning our next weekend trip hopefully in April and we would book here again in a minute.

There is a cafe attached to the hotel called Ada's. We ate breakfast there on Saturday morning but wouldn't recommend it due to pricing. The food was good - service was slow - but the prices were outrageous. $4.50 for ONE egg... a block to your left is Dunkin Donuts and a block to your right is McDonalds.

All in all though - we were very pleased! Can't wait to come back.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing really
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Geneseo, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2009

We (my husband and I)stayed at this hotel over the New Year holiday. The Silversmith was picked for its location to a Blues Club several blocks south on Wabash. Vincent was particularly helpful by calling a restaurant for us and helping with walking directions. No real problems, but the housekeeper never cleaned our room. Not a huge problem as we planned to re use our towels. It would have been nice to have the trash emptied. We will return despite that small problem.

• Liked — Location and work out facilities were decent for a small hotel.
  • Disliked — Lack of housekeeping
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Green Bay, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2009

Our family of 4 (2 adults, 11- and 13-year old girls) along with another family of 4, recently returned from a 2-night New Years stay at the Silversmith. We booked on Priceline...2 standard rooms were $86/night (each). Super value. Stay was excellent all the way around. Rooms and beds were very, very comfortable and spotless. Had two corner rooms at the back of the building, 4th floor. No hint of train noise (of course, our windows were closed at this time of year). Bathrooms are huge, towels plentiful, shower function was perfect. Lobby is spacious and gracious, but not overbearing. Very good coffee/tea in the a.m. Staff were polite, helpful and prompt. Walking distance (even in 25ish degree weather) to State St. shopping, Milennium Park and Mag Mile. Attentive door staff and bell captain. Good elevator security. Building itself has been carefully renovated...very lovely. Will stay here again without question. A really sweet oasis. Note: check out nearby Pizano's for delicious, cozy, family-friendly Italian and Chicago style pizza.

• Liked — Location and overall quality of property
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Silversmith Hotel? Share your experiences!