“Great Location” 4 of 5 stars

You added The Silversmith Hotel to your Saves list
The Silversmith Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   10 S Wabash Ave, Chicago, IL 60603 (The Loop)   |
Special Offer
BED & BENEDICT PACKAGE...
Ranked #23 of 172 Hotels in Chicago
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Great Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

My wife and I stopped here for 3 nights at the end of June, the week the Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup. It is just a short walk from Monroe Blue Line station on the ‘L’ from O'Hare and 10 steps to Madison/Wabash on the Loop so its location is ideal. The hotel when you walk in off the street is not that impressive, but when you get to the lobby on the 1st floor it is. It is an old historic hotel, and we were in 317 at the back of the hotel so noise from the Loop was not an issue at all, we never heard it. The room was fine, with very high ceilings and in very good condition. The only criticisms I would have are lack of natural light into the room. It is quite low down and backs onto an alley. The shower head was a bit of a nightmare to control due to not fixing into its bracket, but the bathroom was enormous and the shower huge. There was also only one bedside table which seemed a bit strange. It offered good value for money though, and its location for the main attractions ideal. We would definitely consider stopping here again if in Chicago.

Room Tip: Get a romm at the back, no noise from the loop.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Frank L, General Manager at The Silversmith Hotel, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to share your review and comments. We appreciate knowing that you enjoyed your visit to the downtown area and your stay with us. Thanks for choosing the Silversmith and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (354)
cincinnati
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We popped into Chicago this past weekend for a quick two night stay, for leisure. Once again the Silversmith met the service level that we have been accustomed to receiving over the years. We came into town to see a Jimmy Buffett concert so we were "out and about" almost the entire weekend, but we always looked forward to returning "home" for the evening.

I must admit that the Charter One Pavillion on Northerly Island, where Jimmy was playing this tour, was an absolute train wreck. And what was up with rainy 60 degree weather in late June?!? It was very comforting to know that once we made it back to the hotel we were guaranteed serenity now...to quote Seinfeld.

The other couple who traveled with us were first time visitors to Chicago. It was a rare adults only trip for both of us since we had family watching the kiddos back home. They declined to hit Millers Pub and Pizano's late night both evenings, opting to return to their rooms instead...that's how much they enjoyed their room!

Room Tip: Ask for rear of the hotel if you're a light sleeper. The hotel is pretty well soundproofed in...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Frank L, General Manager at The Silversmith Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you so much for your review and kind words. We're very happy to hear that this stay again met your expectations. It's unfortunate that the weather didn't cooperate but we heard that the Jimmy Buffet show was great! Thanks again for choosing the Silversmith for your visits to Chicago and we hope to see you again in the near future.
London, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Pros:
- Great central location. I was only in town for 1 night and wanted to stay in the Loop so that I could walk around as much as possible. Close to Millennium Park, the Art Institute, and just round the corner from a branch of Pizano's
- Spacious room, overlooking the El station (very exciting for me as a tourist, and as I was on a higher floor - I think 7th? - I don't recall hearing much noise from trains)
- Very friendly reception staff and smiling valets downstairs

Cons:
- None that I can think of. Would stay here again

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Thank you very much for your review and comments! We're happy to know that you had a great stay with us and hope to see you in the future.
Holt, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

This is my second stay here. I stayed 3 months ago also. I can not begin to state how perfect my visit was. The staff was extremely nice, very friendly, and went out of their way to help you in any way they could. The hotel was very nice. The rooms are good size, clean and very comfortable. Stay at this hotel and I guarantee you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed June 2013
Frank L, General Manager at The Silversmith Hotel, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Thank you so much for such a wonderful review! We're very happy to know that you've enjoyed both of your stays with us and we hope to see you again on your next visit to downtown Chicago.
Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

I have stayed at the Silversmith several times over the past 13 years. The last couple of years, I have chosen to stay at a hotel closer to my office when possible. When I do stay at the Silversmith, I am always pleased with everything. I do miss the nightly cheese cake they used to offer. Anyhow, this time I was given a room that had just been renovated and it was very nice to be in a room where everything from floor to ceiling was new. It was also away from the train so that there was little noise to keep me awake. The only reason I am given 4 stars instead of 5 is the doorman seemed to be away or unengaged as I came and went.

Room Tip: Away from the train side.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review and comments. We sincerely appreciate your support over the years and we're happy to know that you enjoyed the new room. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.
Farmington, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

My Silversmith Hotel & Suites is a very nice hotel is a prime downtown location, south of the river. My husband & I stayed there for our honeymoon in April.

Pros:
1. Large Rooms.
2. Free Internet - not the fastest, but it didn't lag too badly either.
3. A short walk to the Red Line CTA stations & bus lines.
4. 15-20 minute walk to Union Station
5. Close to Millennium Park & the Museum Campus
6. Polite Doormen
7. Polite Front Desk Staff
8. Lisa Le was very great to work with

Cons:
1. Not the best neighborhood at night... lots of homeless asking for money. But it's Chicago, so I expected that.
2. Not impressed with the breakfast at Ada's... flavorless & greasy.
3. I did not get the room that I had requested & spoken with Lisa Le about - apparently they were full and/or someone had stayed over - that was disappointing, especially since I was there for my honeymoon. We had picked out a specific suite and I was told that was the one reserved for us, but we didn't end up getting to stay in it.
4. We were told that the hotel was going to provide some sort of Chicago food/drink type amenity since it was a special occasion and that it would be waiting for us when we arrived. We checked in on April 7th - the amenity on the 9th. It was still appreciated, but seemed less special, especially since it was generic chocolate cake and champagne instead of something that was unique to Chicago or the Silversmith.
5. No white noise in the rooms.

Overall, the hotel was nice and I would stay there again, but I would make sure that I would bring a small travel fan or something to provide white noise. The noise from the El outside didn't bother us at all, and in fact we almost wished that it ran 24/7 since it provided us with at least some white noise where we were! I was disappointed in the fact that we didn't get the room & amenity that we were promised, but the rooms were nice overall and the staff was pleasant. The location was great and within walking distance of everything (or within walking distance of transit TO everything) so I was very happy with that.

Room Tip: Don't expect a view at this hotel, since you're surrounded by high buildings, but a higher f...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Frank L, General Manager at The Silversmith Hotel, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Thank you for your review and comments from your stay with us back in April. We sincerely appreciate all your feedback. Congratulations on your marrage and we hope to see you again in the future.
Streator, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I traveled here with a group of ten people for a school trip. The staff was excellent, very helpful. The noise from the L, which is right outside of the hotel, was not noticeable. The price we paid fr our rooms also made it a great value.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Frank L, General Manager at The Silversmith Hotel, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments with us. We're happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our staff made you feel welcome. We hope to see you again in the future.

Been to The Silversmith Hotel? Share your experiences!