“Nice honeymoon location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Farmington, Michigan
“Nice honeymoon location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

My Silversmith Hotel & Suites is a very nice hotel is a prime downtown location, south of the river. My husband & I stayed there for our honeymoon in April.

Pros:
1. Large Rooms.
2. Free Internet - not the fastest, but it didn't lag too badly either.
3. A short walk to the Red Line CTA stations & bus lines.
4. 15-20 minute walk to Union Station
5. Close to Millennium Park & the Museum Campus
6. Polite Doormen
7. Polite Front Desk Staff
8. Lisa Le was very great to work with

Cons:
1. Not the best neighborhood at night... lots of homeless asking for money. But it's Chicago, so I expected that.
2. Not impressed with the breakfast at Ada's... flavorless & greasy.
3. I did not get the room that I had requested & spoken with Lisa Le about - apparently they were full and/or someone had stayed over - that was disappointing, especially since I was there for my honeymoon. We had picked out a specific suite and I was told that was the one reserved for us, but we didn't end up getting to stay in it.
4. We were told that the hotel was going to provide some sort of Chicago food/drink type amenity since it was a special occasion and that it would be waiting for us when we arrived. We checked in on April 7th - the amenity on the 9th. It was still appreciated, but seemed less special, especially since it was generic chocolate cake and champagne instead of something that was unique to Chicago or the Silversmith.
5. No white noise in the rooms.

Overall, the hotel was nice and I would stay there again, but I would make sure that I would bring a small travel fan or something to provide white noise. The noise from the El outside didn't bother us at all, and in fact we almost wished that it ran 24/7 since it provided us with at least some white noise where we were! I was disappointed in the fact that we didn't get the room & amenity that we were promised, but the rooms were nice overall and the staff was pleasant. The location was great and within walking distance of everything (or within walking distance of transit TO everything) so I was very happy with that.

Room Tip: Don't expect a view at this hotel, since you're surrounded by high buildings, but a higher f...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Frank L, General Manager at The Silversmith Hotel, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Thank you for your review and comments from your stay with us back in April. We sincerely appreciate all your feedback. Congratulations on your marrage and we hope to see you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (378)
Streator, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I traveled here with a group of ten people for a school trip. The staff was excellent, very helpful. The noise from the L, which is right outside of the hotel, was not noticeable. The price we paid fr our rooms also made it a great value.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Frank L, General Manager at The Silversmith Hotel, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments with us. We're happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our staff made you feel welcome. We hope to see you again in the future.
Santa Fe, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

This is the second time we've stayed at the Silversmith and we will definitely be back!
Within walking distance of the Art Institute, Milineum Park, and all our favorite restaurants and shops. Great location, clean quiet rooms, but what really made our stay was the terrific staff. They we're extremely friendly and profession.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for such a fantastic review! We're happy to hear that you've stayed with us before and that you enjoy our service and accommodations. We're especially appreciative of the positive feedback on our staff. Thanks for choosing the Silversmith and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future.
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I wrote an earlier review recounting my experience of getting to the Silversmith and being told the hotel was oversold despite the fact that a colleague and I prepaid our reservation. Somehow the review was deleted by TripAdvisor even though it met the guidelines. Hmmm.

At any rate, we were "walked over" at 1 am to another, cheaper hotel. We weren't "walked over" so much as shown the door with a letter that said the Silversmith would pay for our hotel at this other hotel. No apologies, not even directions, though the hotel did spring for cab fare after we complained about having to walk the streets in search of another hotel at 1 am.

It seems that this isn't rare at the Silversmith. Beware before you prepay. The hotel was gracious enough to refund our prepayment after I complained. Caveat emptor.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Frank L, General Manager at The Silversmith Hotel, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Following up to our previous conversation, let me know if i can be of service to you in the future. Thank you.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Downtown Chicago just minutes walk from Millennium Park and the shore of Lake Michegan with transport networks almost on the front door. This was a 45 min El train ride from O'Hare airport terminal and really easy to find when we arrived into downtown.
The staff were attentive and welcoming, particularly those on the lobby desk who helped with all manner of questions we had abut the local area and how to get to the Lincoln Park Zoo (well worth the visit as it's free).
Room 201 was great. It had a huge king and reasonable size bathroom. The antique furniture throughout the hotel adds to the experience, and sets the Silversmith apart from any in-city chain hotel. There was no outside noise in our room - but admittedly no view either but what do you expect on the 5th floor :)

Staff were happy to hold our bags as we arrived a number of hours prior to check-in, and when we arrived back at the hotel around 1.30 and they had ensured our room was ready early for us.

Would stay again.

Room Tip: Room 201 although near the lift has very little noise from the corridor. No view, but no outside noi...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your review and comments. We're happy to hear that our staff took good care of you and that you enjoyed your accommodations. We appreciate your feedback and we look forward to seeing you back at the Silversmith in the near future.
Dayton, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

The rooms were gorgeous and clean, far more roomy than I was expecting for the price. The location was perfect. I flew into Midway and took the Orange line straight to the hotel. When I got off, I had to walk less than a block.
But what really made this experience was the staff. Every time I came into the hotel, Enrique or another bell man greeted me at the door with a smile. They gave me some fantastic recommendations for lunch. Enrique stashed my bags for me and gave me directions to a great pizza place after I had checked out. I cannot recommend this hotel enough!

Room Tip: The elevated ran right outside my room, and I could hardly notice it. They have excellent sound pro...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for such a wonderful review! We're happy to hear that you took the orange line directly to our hotel. It really is a convenient and affordable way to travel downtown. We sincerely appreciate your feedback on our staff; especially Enrique. Thanks for sharing your comments and for choosing the Silversmith. Hope to see you again on your next visit to Chicago!
Amherst, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I stayed here for two nights during a recent business trip to Chicago. The hotels I usually stay at were booked, so my assistant put me here based on Tripadvisor reviews. My experience was vastly different from that of others on this site. The property itself is would be acceptable as a low-end hotel, but it's a rip-off at the $400 a night they charged us. The room, on the 9th floor, faced the solid brick wall of the building next door, with plenty of noise from trucks in the alleyway below. There was no direct light in the room, and I needed to keep the lights on regardless of the hour. There was construction on the floor, which the front desk staff never mentioned. Service was mediocre at best: I had to call down when I returned at 1 PM to get my room made up. For $150 a night I wouldn't have bothered to complain, but this is really just a typical low-end hotel, and I received way too little for what they charged.

Room Tip: Insist on a room that does not face the alleyway and a brick wall - way too dark and depressing. On...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review and comments. We're very disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. At your convenience, please contact me at the hotel. I would sincerely appreciate the opportunity to speak with you. Thanks again.

Been to The Silversmith Hotel? Share your experiences!