“Worst experience!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Silversmith Hotel

You added The Silversmith Hotel to your Saves list
The Silversmith Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10 S Wabash Ave, Chicago, IL 60603 (Downtown / The Loop)   |
Ranked #22 of 177 Hotels in Chicago
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Vienna
“Worst experience!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2008

My usual stay in a hotel rarely requires any contact with the front desk other then checking in. This time we were asked to wait for the room we booked or check in right away into a downgraded room. We decided to wait for our room. When we returned, they had a different front desk person on duty and a different story, take it or leave it. We basically waited for a room that didn’t materialize wasting our precious time while on a short vacation. No apology. Non existent customer service.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Customer service was the worst I have ever come in contact with.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (397)
Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2008

I stayed at this hotel for work on May 20 and 21, 2008. We were brought in by a bell hop that took our luggage for us. We had excellent service at the front desk. The room was very nice and clean. The bed and pillows were very comfy! The hotel is located right by the train tracks, but I couldn't hear the train from my room and it didn't bother me at all. My coworker could hear it in her room though, so I guess it just depends on where you are in the building.

They offered free internet on two computers in the lobby, which I greatly appreciated! Most hotels that I stay in charge for the internet. They also had a dessert hour both nights of my stay and offered cheesecake and freshly baked cookies.

The hotel is located near a lot of great shopping and the theatre district. We were able to get a cab right away whenever we needed one. I really don't have any complaints about this hotel. I would recommend it and I would stay there again.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Cleveland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2008

While I agree with the positive comments posted here, beware that this hotel is located on Wabash with the "L" loop train tracks right outside. Currently, there is round-the-clock construction going on (rail replacement, etc). Heavy construction noise all night (trucks, jackhammers, chainsaws, etc). I don't know if this was just over the weekend (we were there May 9 - 11) or if it will continue during the week. Might be better if you have a room on the backside of the hotel.

Stayed May 2008
Chicago,IL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2008

I made a reservation via Orbitz for an out-of -town guest, which requires the full payment of the reservation. However, I received a call from Orbitz at 3:30 p.m. today saying that the hotel couldn't receive my guest and that a full refund was my only option. So my guest was left homeless and I didn't get an explanation or apology from the hotel for the inconvenience. Please don't stay here unless you want to be without a room when you arrive. The hotel won't care if you paid in advance or not.

Stayed May 2008
Hotel_Response, Manager at The Silversmith Hotel, responded to this review, May 12, 2008
On behalf of the entire staff of the Silversmith Hotel and Suites, we would like to sincerely apologize to you for any stress, inconveniences and duress caused to you and your traveling associate with regards to the reservation mishap addressed here. Due to multiple circumstances, we did find ourselves in an oversold situation in which we were not able to accommodate your party and several others. While these occurrences do happen from time to time, I would like to assure you that we take great measures in preventing them from occurring frequently. We understand the hardship and dissatisfaction this causes and we always are looking for ways to reduce such experiences.

With regards to the paid in advance reservation, I would like to use this opportunity to explain to you and any other readers that use third party websites such as Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Hotwire et al. that when guests book these reservations, hotels are intentionally blocked direct contact information such as phone numbers or email address. This in an effort to prevent us from contacting you directly and to safeguard you as one of their customers. While these companies are working as agents on our behalf, they are also separate business entities working to maximize their profits. That is one of the reasons why a great number of hotels encourage you to book directly with them, so we have your information to reach in case of unseen emergency, as well as to provide you a contact at the hotel who can best speak to providing you accommodations to best suit your needs at the time. . I can assure you, if we had your contact information, the situation would have been handled more to your satisfaction. I encourage you to contact the hotel if you would like to speak to someone further about this matter.

For the future, our hotel has a rate matching program where if you see our hotel listed on one of these sites at a rate lower than on our web site, we will match it. While this may not be of comfort now, in the future, I encourage you to look for this at ours, or any other hotel you may chose to reserve.
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2008

This hotel was just lovely. From the moment we arrived, the service was wonderful. Everybody was so pleasant, helpful, and quick to offer suggestions. I read some reviews that the hotel was outdated. After staying there 5 days, I'm trying to figure out where that was. The hotel is furnished in beautiful old oak. Perhaps they don't like that look? The room was immaculate. The bathroom has gorgeous marble floors and countertops and is quite large, which was a nice surprise. As others have mentioned, the beds were fabulous. The pillows were fluffy, and the bedding was soft and warm. The comforter was more like a down comforter as opposed to those dreadful "cotton flower bedspreads" you get at a lot of places. Our room faced Wabash and the El is right there. We were never bothered by it and we were on the 10th floor, so we were pretty much even with the tracks. The location is fine depending on what you're there for. You're in the heart of the loop, where the financial and theatre districts are located. You're also only about 4-5 blocks west of Millenium Park. If you want to go uptown, it's a good little walk, or a $8 cab ride. Your best best, however, is to walk one block on State Street and take the redline to Michigan Avenue's shopping. This is my 4th stay to Chicago because of business and I've stayed at 4 different hotels in 4 different areas. This was by far the best.

• Liked — The room was clean, large and comfortable!!
  • Disliked — Leaving.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2008

The Silversmith is beautiful! My family and I had a wonderful stay there. It is beautifully decorated and clean. The rooms are nicely sized. The beds are covered in pillows and real bedding- not the typical hotel bedding. You get real comforters and cotton blankets. The staff was always helpful and courteous. It was worth the money and not your typical hotel stay. I would stay there again in a heart beat.

• Liked — Beautiful Hotel!
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
Creve Coeur
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2008

Hotel was very clean. The staff was so nice. I think that this hotel was phenomonal. I had a great stay. They were very nice to children. The lobby was very nice and relaxing. It was a great weekend stay. Ask for Patty or Shannon because they were so kind. Bob was a great bellman. The Doorman was also very nice. I think the Silversmith Hotel is a great choice when visiting Chicago.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Silversmith Hotel? Share your experiences!