“Great location, charming hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 20% Now!
Ranked #24 of 169 hotels in Chicago
Redwood City, California
“Great location, charming hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Lovely, great location, charming, craftsman details throughout. The only drawback was when I asked how to get someplace twice I was told to take a cab when I could have been directed to the elevated train which went directly to where I wanted to go AND was right outside the door. When i called I was put on hold for per 5 minutes.

Room Tip: Excellent charming. Only drawback was when I asked for how to get to a location I was told to go by...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Frank L, General Manager at The Silversmith Hotel, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Thank you for your review and comments. I'm happy that you found your stay with us enjoyable and I appreciate the feedback on our guest service. It's comments such as these that allows us to improve the service and accommodations we provide to all our guests. We value your business and thank you for choosing the Silversmith.

1,156 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
East Greenwich, Rhode Island, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

We were in town for the SAIC graduation. The location of the hotel is perfect for visitors. The staff is friendly and helpful. Our room was clean and comfortable ...our only comment is that the TV in our bedroom (we had a suite) did not face the bed....???? Other than that we can't wait to visit again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Frank L, General Manager at The Silversmith Hotel, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your comments. We're happy to know you had an enjoyable stay with us and we look forward to seeing you in the future.
Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Spent a "girls" weekend with six friends. We all took the L from the airport. Some of us arrived at O'Hare, some Midway. Those from Midway arrived at the front door, the others a couple of blocks away - - so convenient. The rooms were spotless, and they let us check in early. The staff was wonderful - - Seven women needing extra towels, extra blankets, etc. - - all were delivered cheerfully and quickly. The front desk answered our every question, and couldn't have been nicer and more helpful. The location was fabulous, a block from Millennium Park, The Art Institute (and Giordano's stuffed pizza - - And around the corner from a Garrett's Popcorn) . Don't expect a great view, but there's so much to do nearby, you won't be looking out any windows. I highly recommend this hotel. Thank you Silversmith: you were all wonderful.

Room Tip: The L is out front, so you may want to ask for a room away from that.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Frank L, General Manager at The Silversmith Hotel, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
WOW! What a fantasic review! We're very happy to know that the "girls" had a great time visiting Chicago and that your stay at the Silversmith was everything you hoped for. It's great that you were all able to take the "L" from both O'Hare & Midway. That's one, of many, special features of our hotel. Very happy to hear that our staff took great care of you. We hope to see you all in the near future!
Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Stayed here for 8 nights last week and I would highly recommend this hotel for anyone looking for solid, safe, central place to stay while in Chicago. The hotel is very quiet and we hardly saw anyone other visitors during our stay. I can't give it a perfect rating because of some quirky things such as - the fridge froze our water, the sofa sleeper was falling apart and could not be slept on, the room only had plastic cups and glasses, there was not enough mirrors or outlets for three of us in the room, the cafe restaurant in the lobby was not memorable - go somewhere else for breakfast. The bathroom is modern and huge- bigger than whole rooms I've had stayed in. I understand they are renovating and have started on the 10th floor. If I go back to Chicago- I'll stay here.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your comments. We sincerely appreciate all your feedback as it gives the opportunity to improve the service and accommodations we provide to our guests. We value your business and hope to see you again in the future.
Elon College, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here 2 nights for pleasure. Within walking distance of everything we wanted to do. Very friendly staff. Stayed in 612; no noise issues. Mattress was firmer than I prefer, but bedding was comfy. Huge bathroom. Terrible view - but worth it for the quiet!! Would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013
We appreciate your review and comments regarding your recent stay with us. We're happy that you found our location convenient and that our staff took good care of you. Regarding the view from your room, on your next visit, please let the front desk staff know and we'll see if we can get you a better view. Thanks again for choosing the Silversmith.
ukiah, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

In recent years, my wife and I have been guests in a fair number of outstanding hotels. Many were sympathetic re-creations of historic old inns, other new ones pampered us in every modern luxury. All were wonderful vacation experiences. The Silversmith Hotel in Chicago stood well above all the rest.

The hotel is right in the Loop in downtown Chicago, a short taxi ride from Union Station and as well as walking distance to the Art Institute, the Lake, and Navy Pier. It's surrounded by great restaurants (also my wife counted three Starbucks in the adjacent block), and some of Chicago's best world-renowned commercial architecture.

It combined all the best we've ever experienced of old and new. It's a luxurious, well designed and built old fashioned hotel in the first place. It have been a magnet for travelers from the outset. Since then it has been restored and renovated, with both great care and respect for the past and careful attention to every modern want and desire. We can't remember feeling so at home on the road. Also, the hotel keying system was one of the most secure and unobtrusive of any we have seen.

The attached restaurant has apparently been a lunchtime landmark in the surrounding diamond district, and serves a fine menu of breakfast, lunch and dinner. We found the service a bit slow but we were there in the off hours after a busy day.

Add to the physical satisfaction a staff that was welcoming and helpful from the moment they greeted us at the door until we were graciously helped on our way again. That includes everyone on staff.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
WOW! Thanks for such a wonderful review. We're very happy to know that you found our location convenient to many of the attractions here in downtown Chicago and that you enjoyed the ambiance of our hotel. We are especially happy to hear that our staff made you feel welcomed throughout your stay. Thanks again, and we look forward to seeing you in the future.
Athens, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

I can't find enough good to say about the Silversmith. I was at a conference in Chicago being held at the Palmer House. I looked around and found that I could get a much nicer room just down the street at the Silversmith than I could get at the Palmer House (Palmer House is just in the next block). I am so glad I found this place. I was able to secure a King Executive Suite for $255 (US) a night, a single room at the Palmer House, convention rate, was over $275 (US).
The Silversmith apparently is a very historic building, at one time being an office building now converted to a boutique type hotel. Here is my summary:

Rooms: I had the King Executive Suite on the top floor, tenth. Nice sitting room with flat screen TV, not sure if it had a pull out couch. Bedroom with king bed of course (the wall separating the seating area from the bedroom does not go completely to the ceiling), two closets, flat screen TV, CD player, robes. The bed was very comfortable, linens were nice. Nearly floor to ceiling windows across the entire bedroom. View was looking over the other half of the hotel, there is so much to do in Chicago that I doubt anyone would sit in the window gazing out for long, so who needs a view. The walls could be quite thin I believe, there was a person practicing their clarinet in the next room and I could hear it loud and clear. However this was in the middle of the day and it was actually kind of nice, got my own little concert (they were quite good). The bathroom was LARGE, amenities were nice, no walk-in shower but this is no big deal. Towels were large and plentiful. The room was very clean, housekeeping did a great job every day. Ice machine and soda machine down the hall, coffee maker and small refrigerator in room

The hotel lobby was spacious and nearly always completely empty.

Noise: seems to be the big issue in the reviews of this hotel. Now, I was in the back of the hotel and have to say that noise does not bother me when trying to sleep. About every 5-10 minutes the L train does go by. I can describe it as sounding like very hard rain on a rooftop, lasting about 30-60 seconds at a time. There were no screeching noises or loud sudden noises (like NYC subway). Just more of a very loud humming. Having said that, the noise from the L at the front of the hotel may be much different.

Location: perfect. Coming in from O'Hare on the L ($5 US) one is on the blue line. The exit for the blue line is about two blocks from the hotel, has an escalator. I switched to the orange/pink line which drops you off at the Madison/Wabash station, which is basically at the front door of the hotel. Word of warning, if you choose this option you will have to drag your luggage down MANY steps to the street. Lobby is on the second floor, some people on here seemed surprised by this, very typical set up for big city hotels, adds greatly to safety.

Within a 2-3 block area is awesome shopping, restaurants, drug stores for those forgotten items, people watching, strolling. The area seems very safe, I had no qualms about walking the streets at night.

Safety: You need to use your room card to access the elevator to go above the lobby level. There was construction going on at the top floor of the hotel. Each day a security guard was posted at the 10th floor door to the construction area for the guests safety. Front door was always staffed. I was not out real late at night so I cannot say if hotel access is restricted to room pass only after hours.

Dining: as I said there are MANY dining options in the immediate area, some very reasonably priced (see my review on Miller's Pub; I think I forgot to mention in the review that the Key Lime pie was awesome). Ada's is inside the hotel (see separate review) very reasonably priced, service was quick. Nice option for quick breakfast or if you don't feel like going out of the hotel. Nice selection of food on the menu.

Staff: always friendly and helpful, always with a smile. Very helpful with neighborhood tips. Check in was less than three minutes.

Pros: overall great place. Location is perfect, rooms nice, clean, reasonably priced, Highly recommend.

Cons: the noise from the L may be bothersome to some people who are light sleepers. Recommend requesting room at the back of the hotel if this could be an issue.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms at the front of the hotel if you are a light sleeper, elevated train can be bothersome f...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for such a fantasic review and your in depth comments. We're happy that you found the Silversmith and that your stay with us was so enjoyable. We appreciate all your feedback and look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Chicago!

Been to The Silversmith Hotel? Share your experiences!