“Highly recommended” 4 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   10 S Wabash Ave, Chicago, IL 60603 (The Loop)   |
Ranked #21 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
“Highly recommended”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

My agent suggested this hotel for me, after I had turned down a few other suggestions. A quick search here at TripAdvisor indicated a good and conveniently located hotel.
I agree: the location is impeccable, near the El for the trips further out, within walking distance of most attractions, a 5-minute walk to the Blue Line for O'Hare. Erring on the side of caution I had requested a quiet room (i.e. away from the El), and that's what I got. The downside of that was that the room was dark and looked out on a wall, but I didn't mind that at all. I'm only in my room to collapse and sleep.
My room was also near the elevator, which didn't give any disturbance at all, except from other guests on a Saturday night. They didn't bother to keep their voices down or have their conversations in their own rooms. A repeated polite request at 2 am to keep it down didn't do the trick. Well, they're everywhere, aren't they. Not the hotel's fault.
The room was big and clean, so was the bathroom. Good shower in a bath, although I prefer a walk-in shower. There was a handle to grab though, stepping in and out. Enough space to leave your toileteries too, I wish all hotels had that.
There was a safe in the room, but (as in most hotels) on the floor. I still have the agility to crawl in front of the thing when I use it, but I can think of a few people that will have trouble with that. Other amenities are a big screen tv, a coffee machine and a small fridge, all discreetly tucked away in a cupboard.

The gym I used once. Smallish, and everything a bit bunched together. I had hoped for a bike or rowing machine, so I could do my cardio without standing on my feet: I would be on my feet enough while sightseeing. There was a steps machine (not all that modern and user friendly), a cross trainer and a treadmill, plus some power apparatus.
Ada's Diner looked uninviting, so I breakfasted elsewhere. The bar is pleasant though, with friendly staff. On the whole, every member of staff I encountered was friendly and helpful.
All in all, a very good hotel, perfectly located. I can recommend it!

Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Michael V, General Manager at The Silversmith Hotel, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Thank you so much for the great review and your in depth comments and feedback. We appreciate hearing everything you said.
We hope to see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (371)
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

First time at the Silversmith. Very impressed with the hotel and the location- right next to the EL. Very quiet even though it's next to the EL. Low rumble from the EL didn't bother us at all. Ada's restaurant located in hotel had good breakfast fare and attentive staff. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much for the positive feedback. We really appreciate your business.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

Enjoyed my stay here. Clean hotel with helpful staff and a great location for a first time leisure visit to Chicago. Great transport links too via the MTA 'L' trains for getting around the city also. I would happily stay here again should I get to visit Chicago again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

Our first trip to wonderful Chicago and this hotel with its generous, courteous staff and great location just made the whole experience stellar. From our first greeting by Enrique to front-desk Nicole's smile and gracious help - right from the start! - we felt comfortable and well-cared for. Fabulous location (we walked to almost all venues) and help with transportation when we needed it.
I would encourage the hotel to invest in some furniture upgrades (including pullout sofa mattress) but aside from that, the room, bathroom, closets and amenities were just right. Would recommend the hotel and would return.

Room Tip: We stayed in the back of the hotel so as to avoid the loudness of the El trains. Worked very well.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for the great review. We appreciate all of your comments and feedback and value your business.
We hope to see you again.
ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

First class all the way. This is our 6th trip to the windy city. This hotel is the Loop. A great location. Right across from the Orange line from Midway. And the Red line on State street is only a 2 minute walk. The rooms are spotless and very nice. You have all the comforts of home here. And security is second to none. The staff is one of the best I have ever been around. This is a nice 3 plus to 4 star hotel in Chicago. Everything here is extremely clean and updated. We didn't spend a lot of time in our room we just explored Chicago as we always do. The bed was very nice and the bathroom spotless. We stayed in room 917 and never heard the subway at all. Check in and check out was flawless. We spent 4 nights here and could not be
more happy .I have to give a thumps up to the bellman Enrique. He was the best. He gave us directions everyday to our activities and went the extra mile to make sure we were pleased. Overall a great hidden Gem In Chicago for the price we paid.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Michael V, General Manager at The Silversmith Hotel, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Thank you so much for the outstanding review. We really appreciate your comments and feedback. I will make sure to share it with our entire staff.
We appreciate your business and look forward to your return.
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

The hotel was right by the loop and handy to everything downtown eg the Art institue and theatres.
The only thing Iwould have liked more of was more light around the bed area.
Althopugh there is no hotel restaurant, Ada's on the ground dloor gave great old fashioned Chicago fare!
The doormen were the best too!

Room Tip: Ask for a suprior King
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Michael V, General Manager at The Silversmith Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thank you for the review and your comments. We appreciate your business. We hope that if you make it back to Chicago, you will stay with us again.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is a great value hotel in the perfect location. You can walk easily to all the main downtown attractions. The rooms are spacious and clean. The only small downside is the hotel overlooks the EL and on the lower floors this can be a little noisy.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the review and all of your comments. We appreciate your business and hope to see you back again soon.

Been to The Silversmith Hotel? Share your experiences!