My agent suggested this hotel for me, after I had turned down a few other suggestions. A quick search here at TripAdvisor indicated a good and conveniently located hotel.
I agree: the location is impeccable, near the El for the trips further out, within walking distance of most attractions, a 5-minute walk to the Blue Line for O'Hare. Erring on the side of caution I had requested a quiet room (i.e. away from the El), and that's what I got. The downside of that was that the room was dark and looked out on a wall, but I didn't mind that at all. I'm only in my room to collapse and sleep.
My room was also near the elevator, which didn't give any disturbance at all, except from other guests on a Saturday night. They didn't bother to keep their voices down or have their conversations in their own rooms. A repeated polite request at 2 am to keep it down didn't do the trick. Well, they're everywhere, aren't they. Not the hotel's fault.
The room was big and clean, so was the bathroom. Good shower in a bath, although I prefer a walk-in shower. There was a handle to grab though, stepping in and out. Enough space to leave your toileteries too, I wish all hotels had that.
There was a safe in the room, but (as in most hotels) on the floor. I still have the agility to crawl in front of the thing when I use it, but I can think of a few people that will have trouble with that. Other amenities are a big screen tv, a coffee machine and a small fridge, all discreetly tucked away in a cupboard.
The gym I used once. Smallish, and everything a bit bunched together. I had hoped for a bike or rowing machine, so I could do my cardio without standing on my feet: I would be on my feet enough while sightseeing. There was a steps machine (not all that modern and user friendly), a cross trainer and a treadmill, plus some power apparatus.
Ada's Diner looked uninviting, so I breakfasted elsewhere. The bar is pleasant though, with friendly staff. On the whole, every member of staff I encountered was friendly and helpful.
All in all, a very good hotel, perfectly located. I can recommend it!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoy exceptional service, a warm and elegant setting with an unparalleled location in downtown Chicago. The Silversmith Hotel is a a rare gem, that is encased in classical architecture and sparkling with a new choice of luxury through contemporary spacious guest rooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotels.com, HotelTravel.com, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, getaroom.com, Priceline, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your The Silversmith Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Silversmith Hotel Chicago
- The Silversmith Hotel And Suites
- Silversmith Hotel Chicago