“Dr. Munichia McCalla” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Warwick Allerton Hotel Chicago

You added Warwick Allerton Hotel Chicago to your Saves list
Warwick Allerton Hotel Chicago
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   701 N. Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611 (Formerly Allerton Hotel) (Magnificent Mile)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
15% off Per Availability
Ranked #105 of 177 Hotels in Chicago
Atlanta, Georgia
“Dr. Munichia McCalla”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW via mobile

Great customer service. Great locale but the regular rooms are too small for the cost. In addition, the parking is $60 per day which is expensive. I would not stay there again just because there are better options.

Stayed May 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Greek first
Lansing, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I like historic hotels with character. So I was totally put off by the negative reviews I found on Tripadvisor. These must be people who are hooked on chain hotels with plenty of space and modern amenities but no character. Their hotels will not have a plaque on the side of the hotel explaining their architectural significance as is the case at the Allerton. And if you don't want to pay very expensive rates for the best locations on North Michigan avenue, you have to expect that you're going to lack some of what is offered at $300 or more a day. For lack of a reservation in Boston when just about everything was full, I recently had to pay $400 a night, and though it was a fine hotel, I prefer the Allerton (now the Warwick Allerton). So naturally I picked it for this trip when I was attending a professional conference requiring hotel rooms for somewhere between ten and twenty thousand people.

Full disclosure: I do have a sentimental attachment to this hotel. When my wife and I were dating 50 years ago before we were married, we used to like the Tip Top Tap bar on the 29th floor of the Allerton. Chicago was not my favorite city at the time, but I did love that bar. It offered a much better view at that level, down Michigan Avenue, than the much higher buildings where people on the ground look like ants (contrary to what some young people might think there were very high buildings at the time although not as many as now). Now although TIp Top Tap is still a sign on top of the building, that bar is no longer open. I think they use the name for a ballroom. Too bad in my view. But a guy at the reception said they were planning to redo and reopen the old bar. I hope they do.

They are definitely planning further remodeling. There was a guy making measurements when we were eating in the restaurant. He said they were planning to open a stairway to the ground floor and make other improvements. But actually I was satisfied with the layout and decor as it exists. The decor looks to me like it wasn't done that long ago and whenever it was done, it was done by a very tasteful interior decorator. I enjoyed it.

After reading the reviews, I thought the rooms would be small. But mine was not small. It just didn't have more space than needed as many newer hotels do. If you want to see small, try some of the airport hotels near Charles de Gaulle airport outside Paris.

The bathroom was small but very adequate for me, and the whole room was in very good shape and attractive. And unlike one of the other reviewers, I could have easily stayed and worked in my room all. Furthermore, the problem of odor mentioned in one or two other reviews, definitely did not apply to my room.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled solo
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I chose to stay at the Warwick Allerton because of the location and value. On both counts, I was not disappointed.

Location -- The hotel is a few blocks from Water Tower Place, multiple restaurants, shopping, Walgreen's, and a stop for two 'hop on hop off' tour bus companies. The hotel is 3 blocks from the train station on Chicago Ave which is part of the Chicago Transit Authority and an easy way to get around town. For going farther out, the hotel is within walking distance of a couple of rental car agencies which can be rented for the same day to avoid overnight downtown parking fees.

Comfort and Value - My room overlooked Saks and Zara on Michigan Avenue which made for some good people watching. The room was quiet and the bed comfortable. Though the room was small, it did have a queen size bed with four pillows, two nightstands, a dresser, a desk, a safe, an ironing board and decent lighting. Wi-fi came with the room price. The thermostat was easy to adjust and the temperature held steady though it did take awhile for the room to warm up the first time I turned up the heat. Also, no coffee maker so had to make a trip down to the lobby in the morning to load up on the free coffee available there.

The bathroom was clean and compact. The shower was a decent size (no tub) and had a rainforest shower head with excellent water pressure. The bathroom came with fluffy towels, shampoo, cream rinse, lotion, a shower cap and a shoe shine cloth.

The staff was courteous and helpful. On the day we departed, the doorman watched out for the airport shuttle for us and let us know when it arrived so that we could sit inside and wait instead of having to stand outside at the curb.

I would highly recommend staying at this hotel. It would make no sense to pay for a more expensive hotel when this one checked all the boxes of a good place to stay at a reasonable price.

Room Tip: The best room for a view is one overlooking Michigan Avenue
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Sligo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Stayed in this hotel for one night in April 2015. It is ideally located on the Magnificent Mile. Perfect for a stroll around the shops and down to the lakeshore. Very friendly no nonsense attitude among the staff - and very good vaue for money given the fantastic location.
Yes, as other revieweres mention, the room is small, but it was perfectly clean and comfortable and there was plenty of everything you could want. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Nice hotel right on the Magnificent Mile. I was there for a business conference. Very convenient location to all major downtown tourist stops. If you're going to be spending most of your time out and about the city, and only sleeping in the room, this is the spot for you.

Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Read a few unfavourable reviews after booking and had my doubts about this place. Happy to say that my stay was enjoyable and that the hotel met my expectations. Yes, the place may be aging somewhat and the rooms may be a little on the small side, but for the rate I paid I would expect nothing more. Most importantly, the place was clean, the staff were friendly and the location is superb. Recommended.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Saginaw, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We went for my birthday and the ENTIRE staff were absolutely amazing! Easy check in, easy check out, and they gave us an excellent room overlooking Michigan Ave. Everyone we encountered was very friendly. The location afforded us to be able to walk to most of the attractions we wanted to see. Our room was on the small side, but it was nicely decorated, very clean, the shower was GREAT! And, like I said, we were overlooking Michigan Ave! We were baffled to see poor reviews of this hotel. They were WONDERFUL in every way. Thank you Allerton, for a memorable trip!

Room Tip: Book directly through the hotel for the best service.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Been to Warwick Allerton Hotel Chicago? Share your experiences!