This is a nice hotel. It has a pool but no hot tub. There is an exercise room with 2 treadmills, weights, recumbent bike, and some sort of elliptical type thing. The pool is hit or miss on crowding. On Fri at 8PM there was no one there but us, but on Sun at 1030AM it was too crowded for my daughter to want to swim. On Sun at 1140AM it was empty. It goes from 3 feet to 4.5 feet.
The room has a living room/kitchen with table seating for 2. There is a 2 burner stove, good size microwave, almost full size fridge, coffeemaker, and 2 slice toaster. There is a separate bedroom with king bed and a full bath off of that. I did notice some little imperfections (toilet paper holder slightly bent, luggage rack looks a little worn), but in general the room is clean and in good repair.
There is a breakfast buffet (7-10 on weekends and 630-930 on weekdays). So far they have had eggs, bacon or sausage, potatoes, corned beef hash, grits, fruit, toast/bagels to toast, and tea/coffee/juice/milk. They have takeout containers so you can take breakfast back to the room. Tip for this, I brought down one of those plastic bags you get from the store and it was really helpful for carrying the food back. Usually I end up juggling the containers and drinks and everything in the elevator. The elevators were really crowded on Sun AM, but otherwise have not been bad.
You enter on the 1st floor (there is valet parking which I think was about $40-50/day, but it was included in our room rate so I don’t remember exactly). I’m pretty sure there are in and out privileges, but we are not driving again until we check out. There are several restaurants within a block or so of the hotel, and Nordstroms is right across Grand Ave (the other entrance to the Nordstroms Mall is on Michigan Ave). We walked to Navy Pier and it took about 30 min or so (not rushing and running into the parade on Michigan making us have to backtrack). We took the bus up to Water Tower Place, but it was certainly walkable, we just felt like taking the bus.
The staff has been pleasant. The guy who parked our car has called me by name every time we have come back to the hotel (just saying hi). In fact last night when we came in he said “Hi Mrs X” (using my last initial) which was a little disconcerting, but did not offend me. I don’t know if that familiarity would offend others or not.
There are a lot of families with kids staying here, but they have been generally well behaved and well supervised. Several times my daughter went to the pool and it was empty except for her, which doesn’t happen often in hotels we stay at.
We did have a slight problem on checkout. On the receipt they put under the door for express checkout they charged me for parking, which was supposed to be included in my rate. However, when I took it down to the desk and told them they immediately changed it with no argument and apologized, so I certainly can’t hold it against them. All we lost was the express checkout. They also let us leave our car in the garage until 5 or 6 PM on our check out day at no extra charge. Overall, I would certainly recommend this hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Your downtown Chicago experience begins here, welcome to the Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown. Our location places you within walking distance to the Magnificent Mile, world-class restaurants and the infamous Chicago attractions. Where service is nothing short of extraordinary, the Homewood Suites family will welcome your every request. All of our guests will enjoy the following amenities,•Spacious, Newly Renovated two-room King suite with separate living, sleeping areas and fully equipped kitchens •Complimentary daily hot breakfast buffet •Complimentary Monday through Thursday Dinner Reception, meal with beer, wine and soda •Complimentary high-speed Wireless Internet access throughout the Hotel •Complimentary executive business center with high-speed Internet access •Complimentary cardio-fitness and indoor pool •Complimentary grocery shopping service •Complimentary coffee, tea, hot chocolate or cider all day long in the lobby •24 hour convenience shop •Hilton Honors Points –receive BOTH airline miles and hotel points for every stay with us. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, Expedia, HotelTravel.com, BookIt.com, getaroom.com, Hilton Hotels, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Travelocity, Priceline, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Homewood Suites By Hilton Chicago Downtown Hotel Chicago
- Homewood Suites Chicago Downtown
- Homewood Chicago
- Hilton Chicago
- Chicago Hilton
- Chicago Homewood Suites