“Another Great Stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown

Save Saved
You added Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown to your Saves list
Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   40 East Grand Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611 (Near North Side)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Downtown Parking!
Ranked #31 of 167 hotels in Chicago
Summit, Mississippi
“Another Great Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2009

Another trip to the Windy City, this time in the late summer, proved to be wonderful again. I have stayed at Homewood Suites several times before and this time had friends/co-workers along for the trip. The hotel staff and services, as usual, were great. I've heard guests commenting on the slowness of the elevators, especially around check-out time, but that has never been that big of an issue with me. (Just wait for the next one!) The comp. breakfasts are filling and a great way to start you off on a day of sight-seeing or conferences. You cant beat the location!! The hotel is literally sandwiched between Nordstroms and Bloomingdales! The Weber Grill is a block away as well as many great restaurants on Rush. There is even a Trader Vic's Market 1.5 blocks away if you just want to fill up the kitchen in your room and eat in. I've always recommended this hotel to friend traveling to Chicago for the first time or for return trips. The employees are friendly and very helpful, they'll provide suggestions and even get you tickets for shows or clubs on a moments notice. I will be back again. Love the city, love Homewood Suites.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business

1,525 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
  • Polish first
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2009

My wife and I enjoyed our mini-moon stay at Homewood Suites. It helped tide us over until our honeymoon to Australia in November. Here are a couple things I'd like to highlight.

Customer service - Everyone was friendly and helpful. The front desk gave us a map of the city and pointed out nearby attractions and the supermarket around the corner. On the day of our departure, I realized I had left my wedding band in the room. As we were heading to the airport on the train, we called the front desk to search for the ring. They found the ring and mailed the ring overnight to our address. I would have been dead without the great service. I'd also like to mention that the prompt service, whether providing additional towels or wine glasses and a bottle opener.

Other things we liked about the hotel: free breakfast, full size fridge for storing leftovers, one block from the red line, comfortable king bed, and free wireless internet.

The pool and fitness center were a bit small with lots of kids around, but at least it was on the top floor of the hotel.

Overall, I thought it was a great deal at the price. We were able to spend less on the hotel and more on food.

Tim

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Castro Valley, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2009

This review has two parts. . .I advise reading both.

Chapter One: The actual hotel and staff
I found the in house staff to be very friendly and accommodating. The room was nice and clean as well. I have no disagreement with any of the other reviews regarding the hotel room or the staff. This is a great location where you can walk three blocks to to the South to reach the riverfront, or a few blocks to reach the water tower to the North. Very easy (one block) walk from the subway (Red line). The morning complimentary breakfast is substantial. Not just muffins and coffee. You can have a complete breakfast here if you want. And, even the breakfast servers were really nice and efficient. I would recommend this hotel IF based solely on the physical location, the room, and the staff.

Chapter Two: The nightmare
I booked this room through central reservations in July for a mid-September arrival. The rate was quoted to me as $159 per night for four nights. When the confirmation was emailed to me, it was incorrect by over $300. I immediately called the hotel. They said they made the correction and emailed a new confirmation with the correct amount. I did receive the corrected confirmation email. . .All done? NO. One week later, my credit card statement arrives with the old higher amount having been charged. I called the hotel and was transferred to central reservations to resolve. When I explained the error, I was literally called a liar by the person in reservations, and told "That's not my problem. I can't help you". . . and then told that I have to pay the higher amount. Excuse ME?
Now, I go back to calling the hotel manager to get some assistance. After a few left messages, I get the general manager to call me back, and discuss the issue. After taking down all of the names of people I spoke with, he assures me that he will credit the account immediately. I even get a call from someone in his accounting dept to confirm my credit card etc. . . One week later, still no credit. So, I call the general manager again. Oh, this might take up to 72 hours to process, I am told. So, please give it another week. Another week passes, still no credit. So another call to the manager. I am told now that the credit HAS been processed, and he even sends me an email confirming our "agreement" for the credit, just to appease me. Another week passes. Still, not seeing that credit that was "definitely processed" a week ago. Yet another call to the general manager on the day before I am to leave on my trip to Chicago. I told him I will be arriving, and at this point, I want to see him personally, and he can physically use my credit card to process the credit while I am there.
Remember, we are now talking SIX WEEKS and this is still not resolved.
I arrive at the hotel, and to make a long story short, the general manager was NEVER available to see me, nor did he make any attempts to schedule any time to see or talk with me. The only person I spoke face to face with, was the assistant general manager. He was completely unconcerned with my situation, and made the completely inappropriate statement to me of "you realize this boils down to a matter of 'he said she said'". . . WHAT????

Today, my trip is over, and I have flown back home. I STILL HAVE NOT RECEIVED THE CREDIT TO MY ACCOUNT!!!

I will absolutely be reporting all of this to Hilton Corporate Customer Service, and will absolutely be disputing the entire amount at this point.

Take this little adventure into consideration when dealing with this hotel.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Innkeeper64, General manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown, responded to this review, September 19, 2009
Dear Valued Guest,

While I am very gratified that you enjoyed your stay with respect to the service at the hotel and that our staff made your stay memorable I am very dissapointed however that the billing issue you had negated much of that.

I will certainly take responsibility for what happened. I am aware of the situation that is referred to and although there was a technical issue that I was not aware of until it was brought to my attention I didn't follow up to ensure it was taken care of. To that end I now know that the adjustment as been fully processed and is reflected on your account.

Thank you for your feedback and allowing us to correct this problem.

Regards,

David Prentiss
Homewood Suites Chicago
Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2009

My sons and I just sort of happened upon this great hotel. It was a wonderful experience. The suite was great because I am tall and need a king bed, no other kind of configuration works for me. All of the staff members were incredibly nice. I felt like I was among friends. The views from this hotel are just amazing (skyscraper views). The bigger-than-I-expected pool on the top floor is in a room that has even more amazing views of the city. Super, super, super downtown location - central to everything.We loved the included breakfast, and the staff were so helpful and a joy to talk to. If you're looking for high-glam and superstars, you probably won't find it here. However, everything was better than nice. This is a great, boutique hotel that won't break the bank like so many other downtown hotels - and, you get breakfast to boot. Yea !

Lewes UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2009

Stayed for 5 nights on the 19th floor great view and spacious room with kitchen facilities.
Free breakfast every day and dinner Monday to Thursday the great thing was they provided take away boxes so you could take the food back to your room. Location is very good. Staff are very polite and very helpful would definately stay again

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
dublin ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2009

we stayed here in january when it was -20. but even then we enjoyed it so much we could not wait to get back. chicago is a great town to visit and the homewood suites is the place to stay, period.
now we stayed from the 9/5/2009 to 9/5/2009 and enjoyed every day. (p.s. the weather was in the high 70s). to get back to the hotel, it was fantastic, it has everything you need and its write in the heart of the city.
two seperate rooms were very handy as we had our teenage son. full kitchen, (laundry on 7th floor) seveal foodmarkets within walking distance, everything within walking distance. you wont need a car and at $42 for valet parking you wont want one. dont take my word for it , check it out you wont be disappointed. oh and did i mention free breakfast and dinner . job done. its a no brainer
book now.
p.s. theres also a beach within walking distance

Springfield, MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2009

We had a one bedroom suite which was very nice with our toddler. I had requested a crib and had even called the day before our arrival to confirm the crib and ask if it was a portable or a full size so we could bring the approriate sheets. I was informed it was a full size crib. It was a pack n play. Its not that the pack n play was bad, it was clean and put together, but it was not the full size crib I was expecting. The living room was roomy for a hotel suite, however, the bedroom was too small for our pack n play so it went in the living room. Not a big deal but something for you to consider.

The Homewood suites is in a great location. We went to the Navy Pier on day and walked there and took the free trolley back. The walk took about 15-20 min with our stroller in tow and the free trolley back was nice but be prepared to wait. The first trolley came and it was full before we got up to the door so we had to wait 20 min for the next one.

We drove to Shedd and it was about a 20 min drive but make sure to ask directions. We tried to follow a map and since we didn't know for sure where we were going it was hard for us to get to the roads we needed due to construction and one way streets.

Since it was only a blcok and half from michigan ave we walked up and down for shopping. All in all, I liked the location and the staff was friendly. We needed a few things brought to us and they brought them promptly. I was a little concerned when we were right across the hall from the elevators but I heard nothing so the rooms were quiet. My only two complaints were the pack n play and the shower needed to be wiped down again. It just looked like housekeeping was maybe in a hurry.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown? Share your experiences!