We arrived a little early, and were greeted by a very friendly and helpful valet staff. I had called earlier in the day and specifically asked for a room with good view if possible. This was even part of our original reservation, made weeks ago. More on this later. We had to wait until at least 3:45 pm for check in, so the valet staff took care of our bags until we were in our room.
In the main lobby, I wanted to relax for a bit with a cup of coffee. They were out of all three coffees - regular, robust AND decaf. I notified the guest services staff right away. Fifteen minutes later, they still hadn't replenished the coffee, so we went for a walk.
At check in time, I again reminded guest services of our request for a view. I was not asked about which side of the building we would like to be on if a view was available. We were just assigned our room without any regard to our request. We ended up with a nice view of the building across the street to the east. REALLY....? If a view of our choice wasn't available, it would have been nice to be made aware of that fact. Otherwise, they could have asked what side of the building we would like to be on. This may seem trivial to most, but it just shows a lack of communication between guest services and guest. Incidentally, the views looking south or west are the best.
The hotel's location is great. It's just a block and a half from the mag mile, the Navy Pier is straight down Grand Ave., and there are more restaurants nearby than you can imagine. We opted for Weber Grill, just a block to the west. The House Of Blues is also just two blocks away.
Dinner/breakfast at the hotel is a plus. We ate out the first night, but had breakfast both mornings, and dinner the second night at the hotel. The night we ate there was stadium food - hot dogs, potato wedges, etc. Breakfast is typical breakfast food - scrambled eggs, sausage, fried potatoes, a few cereals, bagels, waffles, etc. It's a good thing they have a person handling the multiple waffle irons. There was a waiting line at all three meals we ate at the hotel. Arrive early for breakfast if you want to avoid that, or arrive fifteen minutes before breakfast closes to avoid the crowd. They also need to do better at keeping the coffee supply filled.
The "stadium food" night brought oatmeal raisin cookies. YUCK! My son and I jokingly asked the on duty guest services rep when they would be bringing out the chocolate chip cookies! Marcus L. said he'd bring some up to us if we wanted. "Sure!" We replied. There was another party there too, and he took down our room numbers. Sure enough, although we didn't realize it until the following morning, he brought us a plateful of yummy chocolate chip cookies! Now THAT'S customer service!
I rate the hotel just above average because the staff really could have done better communicating with me during check in. A simple "there are no rooms available looking south" or (if available) "which view would you like?" would have made all the difference in the world. The room was generally too warm due to the fact there is not an HVAC unit just for each room, and we could not cool it down at night. The bathroom exhaust fan did not work, so it was very humid the whole time. Also the fold out sofa bed mattress was completely warn out and lumpy. The hotel did offer us a mattress pad to soften the bed for my son.
Would we stay there again? It would depend on the price. We may try something else the next time we stay downtown. Otherwise, it's a nice hotel for the money.
- Also Known As:
- Homewood Suites By Hilton Chicago Downtown Hotel Chicago
- Homewood Suites By Hilton Chicago Downtown Hotel
- Homewood Suites Chicago Downtown
- Homewood Suites Chicago
- Homewood Chicago
- Hilton Chicago
- Chicago Hilton
- Chicago Homewood Suites
- Chicago Homewood
- Chicago Homewood Suite
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Your downtown Chicago experience begins here, welcome to the Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown. Our location places you within walking distance to the Magnificent Mile, world-class restaurants and the infamous Chicago attractions. Where service is nothing short of extraordinary, the Homewood Suites family will welcome your every request. All of our guests will enjoy the following amenities,•Spacious, Newly Renovated two-room King suite with separate living, sleeping areas and fully equipped kitchens •Complimentary daily hot breakfast buffet •Complimentary Monday through Thursday Dinner Reception, meal with beer, wine and soda •Complimentary high-speed Wireless Internet access throughout the Hotel •Complimentary executive business center with high-speed Internet access •Complimentary cardio-fitness and indoor pool •Complimentary grocery shopping service •Complimentary coffee, tea, hot chocolate or cider all day long in the lobby •24 hour convenience shop •Hilton Honors Points –receive BOTH airline miles and hotel points for every stay with us. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hilton Hotels, Booking.com, Venere, Priceline, Travelocity, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Hotels.com, Otel and Tingo so you can book your Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.