“Ideal Location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown

Save Saved
You added Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown to your Saves list
Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   40 East Grand Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611 (Near North Side)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Downtown Parking!
Ranked #30 of 168 hotels in Chicago
Wexford, Ireland
“Ideal Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012 via mobile

We (3 adults) just spent a glorious 'long' weekend (7/11 Dec) at the Homewood Suites. Firstly its in an ideal location, very central. A two min walk to the Magnificent Mile & a 5min walk to Macy's on State street. It's only a block away from Grand cta tube stop on the red line. It was so easy to get here by cta from O'Hare (with just one easy change from blue to red line. The trip back by cab was $40. Our suite on 16th floor was clean, roomy with a full kitchen. Free breakfast & free light evening meal mid week. It cost us about $600 for our 4 night stay - late checkout (15.30) on last day was an added bonus.

HomewoodHiltonChiIL, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Fmkeane,

Thank you for your review of Homewood Suites downtown Chicago. I was pleased to see that you enjoyed your experience while staying with us. I see that you were able to go out and about and explore the city; I was glad the location was ideal for you while visiting downtown Chicago. If it would not be too much of an inconvenience, would you be kind enough to “like” us on facebook? Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to hosting you at the hotel the next time you are in town.

1,522 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
  • Polish first
Nashville, TN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

The hotel is in a great location - right next to Nordstrom and just off of Michigan Ave. The breakfast selection was comparable to a Hampton Inn breakfast, except a hostess seated us and the plates/silverware were not disposable. The room was spacious, and the employees were all friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Rooms start on higher floors, so all have a decent view. Rooms on the East side have a good view of...
TNLaddy,

Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts on our hotel. I was delighted to see that you enjoyed the location of the hotel. I appreciate you taking the time to mention the friendly and helpful employees. If it would not be too much trouble, would you be kind enough to “like” us on facebook? We hope that when your travels bring you back to downtown Chicago, we will remain a top choice for you.

detroit michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Very pleased with our choice. Rooms very nice and spacious.
The breakfast was great. Change menu every day and quite a
nice variety. One of the best hotel breakfast buffets we have had.
Close to all attractions. Everything within walking distance.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
HomewoodHiltonChiIL, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
delphene,

Thank you for your feedback after your recent stay at our hotel. I was pleased to see that you had a great experience at Homewood Suites downtown Chicago. It really seems like you were able to take advantage of many of the amenities we offer our guests and I was glad that you enjoyed the breakfast and dinner. If it would not be too much of an inconvenience, would you be kind enough to “like” us on facebook? We look forward to accommodating you again the next time your travels bring you to Chicago.

Birmingham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

From the moment we arrived we have had an amazing time, the staff on reception are excellent and more than helpful to help with an questions us 'first time chicago visitors' had.
The location is perfect and is a 2 min walk from the magnificent mile, a 5 minute walk to state street shops and the navy pier.
The room is a great size with a HUGE bed! and lots of space which im sure is useful for a family trip.
Food is also provided the breakfast buffet has lots of opyion, cooked, fruit option, porridge, juices, pastries, amazing! breakfast is superb! and with the added extra of a dinner buffet mon-thur which we werent aware of was the icing on the cake, tea/coffee/hot choc options are also available 24/7 in the reception, execellent service!
Although this is a holiday i still use the gym and swimming pool, these both over look the city and provide a welcome distraction from exercise and makes the time go faster!
i have no negatives at all for this hotel - none!

KellyRebecca22,

Thank you for recently staying with us and for posting a review of Homewood Suites downtown Chicago. I was delighted to see that you had an excellent experience at our hotel. I was glad that you were able to take advantage of many of the amenities we offer our guests such as the breakfast and dinner. If it would not be too much of an inconvenience, would you be kind enough to “like” us on facebook? We hope you give us the opportunity to create a great experience for you again soon.

tel aviv
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

I read a lot of tripadvisor reviews about this hotel and was a bit skeptical about all the raves about the customer service. Well now I have experienced this for myself and I have to say that the customer service at this hotel is just amazing. Everyone has an unbelievable can do attitude!

I emailed them and asked for a super quiet room and other amenities and I received them all. I was working in the room and the chair was uncomfortable -- POOF -- A call to guest services and Mr. Jason Park personally brings me an ergonomic chair especially for me. It was probably his own personal chair - that is just how good the service was!!

Need more coffee - yes sir, right away and it magically appears in your room in a flash!

Hungry - breakfast is included and you also get what they call a welcome home snack from 5:00pm to 7:00pm - but what I and the other guests more or less call Dinner. A very nice free buffet with different themes every night. Gourmet Chicago style food - not really, but it was tasty, hot and fresh. The brisket was really good.

You get coffee, tea, popcorn, cider, hot chocolate free in your room, but there is also the same stuff available 24/7 in the lobby - again for free.

Ok, now some details. The rooms were immaculate and all come with a kitchen with huge microwave and refrigerator and a coffee maker. The rooms are large and comfortable with TVs in the living room and bed room.

You get free wireless internet, shampoos etc, etc, etc and you get amazing service from the housekeeping team. I used to hate waiting hours for more towels etc, in this hotel, the stuff you ask for comes right away.

The kitchen is fully stocked with all the pots, pans etc you need.

To be fair, you will wait a long time for the elevators and

The location is fantastic - right near subway stops, magnificent mile, state street and great restaurants. You can walk just about anywhere and if not you can take the subway.

I cannot recommend Homewood Suites enough. Best value you will ever find in any hotel.

A special thanks to the girl from Minnesota (your eyes made me forget your name) - you are the queen of customer service!!

A very special thank you to Starr at the reception - a real Star - her parents named her well. She provided me with outstanding service and was extremely patient with me in giving me directions and answering my questions. She also searched high and low for the huge stapler I needed for my project.

Also a very special thanks to Jason Park - who emailed me back and forth before my stay to ensure me that I will get a quiet room on a high floor, a white board and lots and lots of quiet. Personally bringing me the special chair within 10 minutes of my request was a very special touch.

I loved this hotel and cannot wait to go back

Room Tip: ask for a high floor with a nice view.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
HomewoodHiltonChiIL, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Israelitourist t,

I want to thank you for sharing the experience of your recent stay with us. I was absolutely delighted to see that you loved Homewood Suites downtown Chicago. I remember exactly who you are and would like to say that it was a real pleasure having you as a guest at our hotel. I was glad to see that you enjoyed your experience with everyone you encountered throughout your visit. I appreciate you for taking the time to specifically mention Starr and Emily. If it would not be too much of an inconvenience, would you be kind enough to “like” us on facebook? We look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in Chicago.

Fort Wayne, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

It's unfortunate that my week long stay had to be tarnished by a few (yes, more than one) bad encounters with people at the front desk.

We booked our rooms through the RSNA (a very large conference) that we attend yearly (11th year for us). We've stayed at the Palmer House and the Hampton Majestic previous to this property. We chose The Homewood Suites because of its location to nearly everything, which is quite perfect.

After reading multiple reviews about this property I waited until I knew that the hotel had the rooming information from the conference, I called the property and was transferred to reservations who couldn't understand why I was requesting a corner suite and a suite nearby for my in-laws, who are from another country. The person from the reservation center transferred me to another person who understood what I was asking but wasn't sure why I was transferred to them and had me call the hotel directly, again. This time I spoke with Marcus who was very helpful and accommodating. He explained the room types to me and stated that he was going to actually hold two rooms for us next to each other, one of which was a corner suite. A few days later my husband called but wasa told he would have to call during regular business hours and ask for someone in the sales department to switch the credit card we had on the rooms. I called back to change the credit card on the reservation from mine, to my mother-in-law's card. I was transferred to the number of a woman in the sales office at the property and had to leave a message, which is did (on Wednesday). I called back right away and asked the gal at the front desk if there was someone else I could speak with. That woman at the front desk was actually able to help me right away so I'm still not sure why we were told to speak with someone during business no
It's in the sales department. So we arrived on Saturday afternoon and were greeted by a grinch. I walked up with my MIL and asked the gentleman at the front desk if he was Marcus, the frown that he had when I walked up actually got even more frowny... A scowl. He said "No" (This was Michael)... Very matter of fact like and what appeared to be anger for me assuming he could be Marcus. Then proceeded to scold me for believing that anyone would have told me what Marcus said when I spoke with him. To make matters worse Michael, then tells us that there we no corner rooms left near another room for my in-laws. After about 10 minutes of back and forth with Michael, he said that he would put us on a higher floor near one another but neither were a corner room. At this point we were just annoyed that he was so grumpy and took whatever. We went to our floor (13) and to our separate rooms, just a couple of doors apart. 3 Days into our trip we went into my in-laws room and discovered that their room was indeed a corner room. At this point I was infuriated but the was nothing I could do about it.

First of all... Michael should greet guests with a smile or less of a scowl. Michael should know which rooms are corners and which are not. If he had done these two things that I assume should be normal protocol for someone in his position, my perception of this property would be much different and our vacation/conference experience would have been less aggravating.

Every time we said something positive about the property to one another we would always end it with... "It's too bad that the front desk is so rude".

Positives:
Absolutely the best location (maybe that's why they get away with a grimacing front desk)
Better than average breakfast
Excellent evening managers reception
Decent pool (although no hot tub)
Very friendly door men and housekeeping
Quiet rooms
Love having a kitchen... Especially with so many grocery type places near by

Negatives:
Impossible to regulate the heat in the room. It's either hot or cold, never comfortable in both the living and bedroom. I have the thermostat on 78 right now just so that the bedroom is warm.
The bed is worn and should be replaced. My husband and I roll into the middle.
No king pillows on the king bed.
When you go to the bathroom you can hear absolutely everything coming from the room next door... Everything.

Room Tip: Request a corner room for extra space.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Hlalwine,

Thank you for your review of Homewood Suites downtown Chicago. I would like to start by apologizing for the unfortunate encounter you had while checking in. The issue will be addressed.

However, I was pleased to see that you enjoyed your experience with the breakfast and Manager’s reception. I was also glad that the location was convenient for you and your husband while in town on business. I appreciate you for taking the time to mention the very friendly valet team and housekeeping team. Thank you for your feedback, we hope to host you at the hotel the next time you are in town.

MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Had a wonderful weekend .. The valet parking was great and breakfast was perfect for all the busy days we had. Rooms were clean and well serviced .Thanks for a great experience... Did not use pool but seemed small. Bonus fridge in room and tea in lobby.

• Stayed November 2012
HomewoodHiltonChiIL, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Susbal,

Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts on our hotel. I was delighted to see that you had a great experience while being our guest at Homewood Suites. I was also pleased to see that you were able to take advantage of many of the amenities we offer such as the breakfast and refrigerator in your suite. We hope that when your travels bring you back to downtown Chicago, we will remain a top choice for you.

Guest Experience Manager

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown? Share your experiences!