“Not really my cup of tea” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Chicago Downtown, Autograph Collection

You added Hotel Chicago Downtown, Autograph Collection to your Saves list
Hotel Chicago Downtown, Autograph Collection
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   333 North Dearborn Street, State and Dearborn, Chicago, IL 60654 (Formerly Hotel Sax Chicago)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #98 of 179 Hotels in Chicago
Western part
“Not really my cup of tea”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

When all is said and done, this is an unremarkable hotel in a decent location that has comfortable beds, friendly check in / lounge / housekeeping staff, but despite these positives, I really did not enjoy my stay.
Although everything I dealt with isn't likely to happen with everyone else, it was just too many "little" things that weren't up to par. Ice machines not working, no lamp on the desk, air conditioning that's not very good, the chair and the carpet don't get along, abysmal internet (I hear it is being upgraded....finally). First time ever I've been in a concierge lounge where they had burnt food (improperly prepared cheese sauce according to them). Do they bring more out? No...just leave the burnt stuff.

This probably isn't the worst hotel in Chicago, but I don't think they yet deserve to hang a Marriott sign above them (my opinion) and I would certainly expect there are a lot better places to stay. I would have checked out of this one if I could have, but the city was full. Although my issues have been dealt with, I'm certainly not prepared to repeat the experience. Quite honestly, I hated this hotel. Read my other reviews, you'll see I certainly don't say that very much!

Room Tip: Choose a room in a different hotel!
Green Features: Didn't notice anything special. Maybe I missed something.
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Newtown, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I recently stayed at this property while attending a conference in town. Overall a nice hotel with a good location and proximity to the Magnificent Mile and the river walk. I especially liked that there was 24 hr access to the lounge with soft drinks and water available.

My only complaint is that upon receiving my bill I was charged long distance calls for calls made to a toll free number. Would not have expected such a nickel and dime move. Never experienced this as a
Platinum member.

Stayed June 2015, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

First of all, as many reviewers have stated, the location is excellent. It is just two buildings away from Trump Tower and next to Marina City. From there, you can walk to a whole bunch of places!

The room we had was really nice, even though the view was blocked by one of the Marina City parking buildings (which are, on the other hand, iconic). The service was excellent. My complaint would be that the noise level (from outside) was a bit high. Better sound isolation would have been nice considering the central location of the hotel.

Overall, I would really recommend this hotel if you find a room for a reasonable price.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW via mobile

I truly loved every part of Chicago...besides hotel Chicago. The rooms smelled, the bathrooms were gross, the cleaning services didn't do much and I'll get to the worst part in a second. I will say the workers there were extremely helpful and nice. Now the worst part... They charged me 70$ in "wallpaper damage" and 50 in "carpet damage". Well guys, I was here on business and was in the room only when sleeping. So how did this "damage" occur? Mind blown

Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends
Pennington, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW via mobile

Loved the design of this hotel and the spacious rooms. Friendly staff and great location. I did not have a river view but was very happy with my room. The side I was on was a little noisy but not too noisy as it is closer to the street side. The issue is that they don't have a dining space of their own but many restaurants around and you can even back-charge to your room in some of them. The breakfast at the lounge was not the best definitely and could be better. The lobby bar sells some breakfast snacks but closes then till 4PM. Many people hang around in the lobby so would imagine it would be better to have that bar opened all day long for a drink or an espresso!

Stayed May 2015, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Our stay at The Hotel Chicago was wonderful. While we were only there one night, our experience was beyond fabulous. The staff was the true jewel of this hotel. Everyone was so nice, courteous and helpful. Liza, Ed and Constantine (spelling) were awesome but not the only fabulous staff we came in contact with. Everyone was wonderful and I just wish I was able to remember each one's name. Suffice to say any stay there will be wonderful and you will look forward to going back. I know we are.

Room Tip: Great location to visit the city sites
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled with family
Taipei
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

The hotel is well located downtown, it's still under partial renovation, particularly the executive lounge. Although you can tell the interior had gone through a major revamp, the decor in the rooms are a mix of the 70s with modern. I find the carpets quite old Ann bff some rooms smell old too. However, the service desk and concierge is always happy to help.

Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Chicago Downtown, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!