“A classic hotel with modern appointments” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Chicago Downtown, Autograph Collection

You added Hotel Chicago Downtown, Autograph Collection to your Saves list
Hotel Chicago Downtown, Autograph Collection
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   333 North Dearborn Street, State and Dearborn, Chicago, IL 60654 (Formerly Hotel Sax Chicago)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #98 of 177 Hotels in Chicago
Columbus, Ohio
“A classic hotel with modern appointments”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

The Hotel Chicago, in downtown Chicago, is centrally located to many of the attractions in the city. Principally, it overlooks the House of Blues, although you'll not notice any noise or disruptions because of it. Thanks to its Marriott affiliations, you'll find that it has predictably high levels of service at a reasonable price point.

Stayed April 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Pittsboro, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Please read my profile for my biases.

As a Marriott guy and frequent traveler to Chicago, I am working on staying in every Marriott property in the City. My current favorite is the Blackstone, but I decided to give this hotel a shot.

First, it has a great location. It is located right on the river and equidistant to the business district as well as Michigan Avenue. The rooms were also of a nice size. But that is about all the nice things I can say about the hotel.

My Platinum Marriott status didn't get me any extra love, and while I don't expect it, it would have been nice to have had a river view room. The room I got was spacious, but it was very tired and not very clean.

For example, the desk is inset with a piece of glass. I like this look but one has to actually lift up the glass on occasion and clean underneath it (see picture). There was also a very obvious large stain on the curtain at a height that made me wonder, and not in a good way, what could have caused it.

The side table had some other stain on it and one of the bedside lamps was hanging by its cord. I could push it back up into place but it would eventually fall down again.

The shower was odd - there was a little bathtub maybe ten inches deep and three feet square. I guess it would be nice if you were traveling with a small child, but I probably would have extended the shower and put in a proper tub considering all of the empty space in front of the toilet.

One thing that almost got this place a four star review was the concierge lounge. It was on the ground floor, which I don't care for as I like a view but it doesn't seem to make much business sense to have a lounge on some of your most expensive hotel real estate. It was never crowded and when I started there on Sunday the offerings were well above average. For example, while most Marriott's have two hot dishes, they had four, with such things as mushroom risotto balls, tiny deep dish pizza, Thai beef and pineapple chicken. But as the week went on the snacks got less diverse (back to two) and less tasty. Plus the drink selection was minimal Pepsi products. Had the consistency of the lounge been steady throughout the week, I might have been obligated to give that extra star, but as it is this hotel just really didn't stand up to my other four star reviews.

That said, the staff was friendly and helpful and as usual for a Marriott property I felt welcome.

With so many other great hotels in the city, especially at this price point, I doubt I'll stay here again, but if it was the only option I wouldn't have a problem returning.

Room Tip: I was in room 1628 so I assume the odd numbered rooms have the river view.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
eibarra, Hotel Chicago at Hotel Chicago Downtown, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. You are right to expect better service from us, and we are disappointed to hear that we were not able to meet your expectations. We have notified the maintenance manager of your review and will be investigating the situation. There is no excuse for guest rooms that need deep cleaning and amenities in need of repair, and we deeply apologize for the inconveniences. In regards to the food selection in our Concierge Lounge, we are delighted to hear you enjoyed our selection but we do apologize for not providing a consistent array of choices throughout the entire week. Please rest assured we have brought this up to our manager for further review. It is always of utmost important to us to ensure that our guests and customers leave the hotel satisfied at all times.

I would welcome the opportunity to restore your faith in The Hotel Chicago and would kindly request that you contact me directly at eibarra@thehotelchicago.com for any future stay.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

This hotel is in a great spot. It's right next to the House of Blues and is within 2 blocks of good night life. You can get river view rooms, and access to all the city is nearby as Subways are a block away.

The lobby is newer. The staff were friendly each time I was in and out. The only thing I was a little under-impressed about was the concierge lounge for Marriott rewards members. They have ok food, but it tastes like a Denny's in the morning and the hors d'oeuvres in the afternoon are clearly from frozen. I was also shocked to learn that only water, soda, and coffee are complimentary. I have stayed in Marriott hotels where they even give you beer and wine for free - but not here. Maybe it is a new policy...

Room Tip: Stay as far away from the elevator as you can. I was able to hear it all night.
Kalyan, Maharashtra, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The biggest positive point of this hotel is its location. Great connectivity for metro, bus....good places to eat nearby. All the staff, from receptionist to bell boy were extrmely helpfull & friendly and made us very comfortable during check-in and check-out process. The only negative point about this hotel is wifi and internet connection....very poor. But still i will suggest it as a good choice to stay with.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The lobby is beaufully updated and a nice place to relax. The room was updated but dirty. Our mirrored side table had pieces of mirror fallen off, the curtains had large oily stains and the bathroom floor was not swept. When we went to have breakfast they didn't have some items that were on the menu. Overall we really enjoyed how close we were to shopping, restaurants, and entertainment but would probably not stay again.

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
eibarra, The Hotel Chicago at Hotel Chicago Downtown, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Rebecca,

Sounds like we truly dropped the ball with the housekeeping condition you found your room. This is unacceptable by our standards. We want to provide our guests are comfortable, fun, and most importantly clean hotel. I cannot offer a reason why we dropped the ball during your visit. I hope you will give us a second chance to show you why we have so many wonderful reviews on Tripadvisor and that the issues you faced were a rare occurrence in our property.

Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Poor WIFI speed, took more than 10 minutes to finish the online shopping. I found I left my tie in the room at noon after checkout in the morning, back to the hotel in the afternoon talked with the lady, more than 30 minutes later, she told me they didn't find anything left in the room, what can I say.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your feedback from your visit with us. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconveniences you experienced due to our poor internet speed over your stay. We were experiencing IT problems this past Friday, and because of that our Wi-Fi speeds were varied though out the day. I am following up with my team to ensure that we are providing our guests with immediate tech support should this situation arise in the future. I am very sorry that your stay was marred in this way and I can assure you that the service issues you experienced will be investigated.

We also apologize for the item that was left behind in the room after it was checked out. We have passed on the information to our management for further review. We pride ourselves on delivering exceptional service, but also on correcting things for the future in the instances when we do not get it right the first time.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Here over the weekend. Very welcoming staff and very comfortable room. Many excellent restaurants nearby but none on the property. The room was spacious and the shower equipped with an awesome shower head. Would love to go back for a vacation visit!

Stayed April 2015, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Chicago Downtown, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!