“Good Location, Good Price” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Chicago Downtown, Autograph Collection

Save Saved
You added Hotel Chicago Downtown, Autograph Collection to your Saves list
Hotel Chicago Downtown, Autograph Collection
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   333 North Dearborn Street, State and Dearborn, Chicago, IL 60654 (Formerly Hotel Sax Chicago)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #104 of 167 hotels in Chicago
Chicago
“Good Location, Good Price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

This hotel is in a great location and has some nice views of the Chicago River. The bellmen and front desk were friendly and helpful but we didn't require them to go out of their way. The parking fee was the highest I have ever paid but there were in and out privileges and they didn't require you to remove your car till 5pm on check out day. There was also wifi but we had to pay for it. We had a king sized room and it was very large with a nice large bathroom. The bed was comfortable and we didn't have any problems with air conditioning or noise from other rooms. The hotel is in good repair but the design could be updated. It's all very glitzy Baroque, which was cool and trendy about ten years ago. Now it just looks kind of silly. If the price was good I would stay here again but I also wouldn't be excited about it.

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better the view
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

119 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I stayed at the hotel due to a business meeting being held here. I flew into ORD and paid $5 for the blue line to Clark station, 2 blocks away. Easy walk to hotel. Ana at the front desk was very helpful and informative. Room on the 12th floor had a king bed with large windows. Room was clean and an average size unless comparing to Manhattan which would be billed as a suite! Facilities/Meeting room was well managed. Would I consider this a top notch place? Ehh. I received a military discount which made it worth the money. I get irritated at the large city nickel and diming me. Internet $17/d, parking $69/d, for ordering room service it's a 24% gratuity and $6 delivery fee added on to over priced food plus tax. Room safe is adequate for small laptop/tablet, but not a small purse. No refer. Hotel is surrounded by many other hotels, bars, restaurants and night spots. If I have another meeting here OR if there is a venue at the House of Blues I am seeing, I would stay here again. If this area of town is what you are looking for its a good option.

Stayed July 2014
Panama City
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We stayed at the (Sax hotel) Hotel Chicago after booking it through Hotwire. Upon arriving at the hotel we were told that even though we requested two rooms to accommodate 5 adults and 2 children we would have two rooms with a king in each and no cots were available. We had a confirmation from hotwire explaining that there would be enough beds to accommodate us all. Even though we didn't book directly with the hotel we expected to be looked after and I have never encountered this problem before with hotwire bookings. After a while a room with two beds one was found for us, we soon found out why the room was available. After returning to the room late that evening and after our children had fallen asleep on the make shift beds of blankets on the floor we found out the a/c was not working.
When we explained the next day, the gentleman was very friendly but struggled to give us something for the problem. Eventually we were provided with 5 breakfast tokens as 7 tokens would be too much! We will not be choosing to stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: check your a/c is working before going out!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Mark D, General Manager at Hotel Chicago Downtown, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Hello,
We’re very sorry for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay. We’re unable to guarantee room types when reservations are booked through an outside booking agency since we don’t have access to their booking engines. We strive to accommodate room type requests whenever availability allows, and we apologize that we weren’t able to accommodate your requests. We’re glad that the gentleman assisting you was friendly, but we apologize that a satisfactory solution was not found at the time. We’d like to invite you to reach out to us personally at mdeinhart@thehotelchicago.com.
Cary, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The front desk didn't find my name. They said they would need a confirmation number and pointed at a couple of networked PC's. I was able to get the number and produced it to the clerk. She said that the number is not useful, she needs to see the entire e-mail. Luckily I was able to pull that up on my smartphone. She then checked me in very rudely. She even failed to show me how to work the keys. You needed one key for the elevator and an RFID key to open the room. I hadn't used RFID, but it would have been useful to tell me. I was able to track down someone in housekeeping how showed my the process.

I complained to the manager, and he was rude - as if I was trying to break in the hotel. He offered me a free breakfast. When I brought down the ticket, it was good for a waffle and an orange juice. I was very happy to get out of there after spending almost $300 for my one night experience.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Hello,
We’re very sorry you were unhappy with your recent stay at our hotel. We want every guest to feel welcomed from the moment they arrive, and we apologize for the inconveniences you encountered. We’re also sorry that not all staff offered you excellent and kind service. We’d love for you to reach out to us personally at mdeinhart@thehotelchicago.com. We welcome the opportunity to make things right.
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Spent 4 nights here as a Platinum Premier member last week on a business trip. Did not receive an upgraded room. It was a standard room on the 11th floor. I did receive Executive Lounge access on the 14th floor. Breakfast and afternoon snacks are served here. Water and soft drinks are free but there is a charge for the alcohol.

I had high expectations for this property as an Autograph Collection hotel. The bed was nice and comfy however some things I did not like was that the room was too dark. There did not seem to be enough lighting. There was a light on one side of the bed but not the other. The other thing I did not like was that the room did not feel very clean. 1 of my towels was pretty brown/dirty. And there was a random hair here and there. This is not a 3 star hotel. I think they can do better.

Location wise, it is excellent. There is plenty of food spots within a very close distance. However, because of the generic name of the hotel, my shuttle service had a hard time finding it so be prepared to explain where the hotel is.

I won't be staying here again. There are other Marriott properties in the area that I feel do a better job.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Mark D, General Manager at Hotel Chicago Downtown, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Hello,
We’re thrilled you loved our location; we love it here too! We apologize for the trouble you had locating our hotel. We strive to inform transportation drivers of our location, and we’ll happily re-address the issue. We’re sorry that availability limited the room type we were able to offer you. We want every guest to feel welcomed and comfortable when they visit us, and we will take your thoughts regarding the room lighting and cleanliness into careful consideration. We’re committed to making our hotel better than ever, and your honest feedback is a valuable part of our reaching that goal. We hope to see you again when you next visit Chicago; we’re confident we can win you over with our ongoing improvements.
Sheboygan, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Traveled to Chicago for a weekend with friends and stayed at Hotel Chicago thanks to a coupon deal. Hotel was clean, is in a great location (next to House of Blues and Bob Newhart's condos!), and had a fairly friendly staff; however we didn't view it as a four-star hotel. Room decor tried a bit too much to be trendy--at least we think that's what the attempt was, and, yes, the parking was challenging--as it is in much of downtown Chicago. We felt totally safe inside the hotel, but the hallways were dimly lit--again, not sure if that was a nod to possibly trendiness--or not. Good deal with our coupon but don't feel the hotel lives up to its regular room rates. I would agree with another review; I'd rate Hotel Chicago a 3.5 out of 5.

Room Tip: Be sure to check out the bathrooms as some of the rooms have no counter space around the sinks--pede...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Joanne,
We LOVE our location, and we’re thrilled you felt the same! We’re glad our hotel team was friendly and that you felt safe. Thank you for your feedback regarding our décor. We’re always striving to improve, and your comments help us know what we need to focus on. We hope to see you again when you next visit Chicago; we’re confident we can win you over.
Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This hotel is in a great location. The rooms were generally quiet and was spacious enough for our needs. I don't understand the bashing of this hotel done by other reviewers.
The hotel staff was friendly. The concierge was great to work with. She was patient and present with us even though I am sure she had answered similar questions many times before.
The bedding and pillows were perfect. The towels were a little thin for the type of hotel it was. We never explored the bars and restaurants. They looked intriguing.
Free coffee was offered in the lobby which was a delightful surprise.
Parking is expensive. Valet parking would have $65 per night. House of Blues shares the same entry way and has their own parking which would have been a little cheaper. The public transportation is really good in Chicago. If possible I would leave your car behind.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello,
Thank you for your refreshing review! It’s always fantastic to hear when a guest loves our location; we couldn’t agree more! We’re glad that you enjoyed our bedding and morning coffee in the lobby. We’ll take your thoughts regarding parking into careful consideration, and we know future guests will be grateful for your public transportation tip, thank you. We hope to see you again the next time you visit our incredible city.

Been to Hotel Chicago Downtown, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!