“Room type booked not provided, hot room” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Chicago Downtown, Autograph Collection

Save Saved
You added Hotel Chicago Downtown, Autograph Collection to your Saves list
Hotel Chicago Downtown, Autograph Collection
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   333 North Dearborn Street, State and Dearborn, Chicago, IL 60654 (Formerly Hotel Sax Chicago)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #103 of 168 hotels in Chicago
Panama City
“Room type booked not provided, hot room”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We stayed at the (Sax hotel) Hotel Chicago after booking it through Hotwire. Upon arriving at the hotel we were told that even though we requested two rooms to accommodate 5 adults and 2 children we would have two rooms with a king in each and no cots were available. We had a confirmation from hotwire explaining that there would be enough beds to accommodate us all. Even though we didn't book directly with the hotel we expected to be looked after and I have never encountered this problem before with hotwire bookings. After a while a room with two beds one was found for us, we soon found out why the room was available. After returning to the room late that evening and after our children had fallen asleep on the make shift beds of blankets on the floor we found out the a/c was not working.
When we explained the next day, the gentleman was very friendly but struggled to give us something for the problem. Eventually we were provided with 5 breakfast tokens as 7 tokens would be too much! We will not be choosing to stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: check your a/c is working before going out!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Mark D, General Manager at Hotel Chicago Downtown, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Hello,
We’re very sorry for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay. We’re unable to guarantee room types when reservations are booked through an outside booking agency since we don’t have access to their booking engines. We strive to accommodate room type requests whenever availability allows, and we apologize that we weren’t able to accommodate your requests. We’re glad that the gentleman assisting you was friendly, but we apologize that a satisfactory solution was not found at the time. We’d like to invite you to reach out to us personally at mdeinhart@thehotelchicago.com.

117 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Cary, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

The front desk didn't find my name. They said they would need a confirmation number and pointed at a couple of networked PC's. I was able to get the number and produced it to the clerk. She said that the number is not useful, she needs to see the entire e-mail. Luckily I was able to pull that up on my smartphone. She then checked me in very rudely. She even failed to show me how to work the keys. You needed one key for the elevator and an RFID key to open the room. I hadn't used RFID, but it would have been useful to tell me. I was able to track down someone in housekeeping how showed my the process.

I complained to the manager, and he was rude - as if I was trying to break in the hotel. He offered me a free breakfast. When I brought down the ticket, it was good for a waffle and an orange juice. I was very happy to get out of there after spending almost $300 for my one night experience.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Hello,
We’re very sorry you were unhappy with your recent stay at our hotel. We want every guest to feel welcomed from the moment they arrive, and we apologize for the inconveniences you encountered. We’re also sorry that not all staff offered you excellent and kind service. We’d love for you to reach out to us personally at mdeinhart@thehotelchicago.com. We welcome the opportunity to make things right.
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Spent 4 nights here as a Platinum Premier member last week on a business trip. Did not receive an upgraded room. It was a standard room on the 11th floor. I did receive Executive Lounge access on the 14th floor. Breakfast and afternoon snacks are served here. Water and soft drinks are free but there is a charge for the alcohol.

I had high expectations for this property as an Autograph Collection hotel. The bed was nice and comfy however some things I did not like was that the room was too dark. There did not seem to be enough lighting. There was a light on one side of the bed but not the other. The other thing I did not like was that the room did not feel very clean. 1 of my towels was pretty brown/dirty. And there was a random hair here and there. This is not a 3 star hotel. I think they can do better.

Location wise, it is excellent. There is plenty of food spots within a very close distance. However, because of the generic name of the hotel, my shuttle service had a hard time finding it so be prepared to explain where the hotel is.

I won't be staying here again. There are other Marriott properties in the area that I feel do a better job.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Mark D, General Manager at Hotel Chicago Downtown, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Hello,
We’re thrilled you loved our location; we love it here too! We apologize for the trouble you had locating our hotel. We strive to inform transportation drivers of our location, and we’ll happily re-address the issue. We’re sorry that availability limited the room type we were able to offer you. We want every guest to feel welcomed and comfortable when they visit us, and we will take your thoughts regarding the room lighting and cleanliness into careful consideration. We’re committed to making our hotel better than ever, and your honest feedback is a valuable part of our reaching that goal. We hope to see you again when you next visit Chicago; we’re confident we can win you over with our ongoing improvements.
Sheboygan, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Traveled to Chicago for a weekend with friends and stayed at Hotel Chicago thanks to a coupon deal. Hotel was clean, is in a great location (next to House of Blues and Bob Newhart's condos!), and had a fairly friendly staff; however we didn't view it as a four-star hotel. Room decor tried a bit too much to be trendy--at least we think that's what the attempt was, and, yes, the parking was challenging--as it is in much of downtown Chicago. We felt totally safe inside the hotel, but the hallways were dimly lit--again, not sure if that was a nod to possibly trendiness--or not. Good deal with our coupon but don't feel the hotel lives up to its regular room rates. I would agree with another review; I'd rate Hotel Chicago a 3.5 out of 5.

Room Tip: Be sure to check out the bathrooms as some of the rooms have no counter space around the sinks--pede...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Mark D, General Manager at Hotel Chicago Downtown, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Joanne,
We LOVE our location, and we’re thrilled you felt the same! We’re glad our hotel team was friendly and that you felt safe. Thank you for your feedback regarding our décor. We’re always striving to improve, and your comments help us know what we need to focus on. We hope to see you again when you next visit Chicago; we’re confident we can win you over.
Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This hotel is in a great location. The rooms were generally quiet and was spacious enough for our needs. I don't understand the bashing of this hotel done by other reviewers.
The hotel staff was friendly. The concierge was great to work with. She was patient and present with us even though I am sure she had answered similar questions many times before.
The bedding and pillows were perfect. The towels were a little thin for the type of hotel it was. We never explored the bars and restaurants. They looked intriguing.
Free coffee was offered in the lobby which was a delightful surprise.
Parking is expensive. Valet parking would have $65 per night. House of Blues shares the same entry way and has their own parking which would have been a little cheaper. The public transportation is really good in Chicago. If possible I would leave your car behind.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello,
Thank you for your refreshing review! It’s always fantastic to hear when a guest loves our location; we couldn’t agree more! We’re glad that you enjoyed our bedding and morning coffee in the lobby. We’ll take your thoughts regarding parking into careful consideration, and we know future guests will be grateful for your public transportation tip, thank you. We hope to see you again the next time you visit our incredible city.
Northbrook, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My wife and I stayed here on a recent Saturday night. We were in the city for a special occasion and decided to stay in the city rather than drive home. We got a reasonable price and is why we chose this particular hotel. We had a hard time finding the valet parking as there's construction going on. Once we did find it though the experience was quite good. The valet quickly took our car and we went to check in. I do have to say the cost to park overnight is quite ridiculous ($65). When checking in the front desk clerk was great. He was nice and helpful. He also comped us each a drink at the bar in honor of my bday. The room we had was one with a king size bed. The room was smaller than I had expected so good thing only staying 1 night and didn't have a lot of stuff with us. The chair in the room was in such a position that we couldn't get to 1 side of the bed. I had to move it so we could get there. Quite odd! I think the bathroom was bigger than the room itself. Problem there is there were only 2 towels, no hand towels. Seemed quite odd to us. The hotel itself is in a great location. We were able to walk to Navy Pier and our dinner location. It took quite a while to get our car back from valet the next morning (25 mins and that's with calling ahead for it). Overall a good experience but certainly some things that can be improved upon.

Room Tip: Ask for a good view of the surrounding city.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello Brad,
We’re thrilled you loved our location; it sounds like you enjoyed a nice stroll down to Navy Pier! We apologize for any inconveniences you encountered locating our valet and waiting for your car to be returned. We’re always striving to improve, and we’ll take all your suggestions into careful consideration. Your feedback is invaluable in our efforts, thank you. We hope to see you again in the future.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I stayed here for one night and most of the day before for a bachelorette party last weekend. The hotel is absolutely gorgeous and very reasonably priced for the space and location in Chicago. I was here years ago when it was still the old Hotel Sax, and they've done a great job with upgrades and modernizing it- my only interaction with the staff was one call for more towels, and they were fast and very friendly. Definitely would recommend!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Hello,
Thank you for the fantastic 5 star rating and great review; you’ve made our day! Your loyalty is much appreciated; we love welcoming back a familiar face. We’re thrilled with the results of our recent renovations, and it makes us very happy to know you appreciated our efforts. Your recommendation is the highest praise you can give us, thank you. We hope to see you again for some more Chicago fun soon.

Been to Hotel Chicago Downtown, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!