“Does the job for a business trip/short stay. Sadly falls short of the Hyatt experience.”
I'm struggling on my review with this hotel.
We came to Chicago on a one week vacation and previous experience of Hyatt (see Clearwater post) meant we actively chose the Hyatt brand.
We got a great rate for the 7 nights which included wi-fi.
If you're travelling on business or for a weekend getaway you won't be disappointed:
- great location for central Chicago with some superb eating choices nearby
- staff are lovely and friendly, particular note to Rebecca and Jan (reception/concierge)
- good wi-fi
- comfortable beds, great nights sleep
- good gym.....with a twist though (read on)
See? Everything you want!
The 'no good' parts may be more relevant for the hotel management to help make some improvements but read on if you're interested...
I may sound picky and these honestly are little niggles...
- swimming pool was closed without notice on booking, annoying but understandable and we came to an agreement with the hotel management so thank you for your help
- where are the changing rooms for the gym and swimming pool? I contacted reception whilst we were trying to change for a swim. I was told - you need to change in your room. Really? I'm not sure other hotel guests want to see me in my swimming attire. You might think, why don't you wear a dressing gown? Ah...
- you don't get one in your room! This really was an odd one. You had to phone for items such as shower gel, dressing gowns, make up mirrors, toothbrush, cotton buds. And nope these items were never replenished so it was constant calls everyday. Even the soap in the bath/shower is not changed daily.
- The overall housekeeping is not upto scratch. I think they're running on a budget here and squeezing every last drop out of the staff, it's plain to see it was a rushed job daily (check out the dust in the rooms and cleaning 'round' toiletries/items throughout the room. Oops)
- one day we made three calls between 4-7pm to get our room done and it still wasn't done despite giving them time and agreeing to a time. Apparently Labor day meant alot of late checkouts. When you look at the size of the hotel and then note the number of housekeeping staff, it really is way too short.
- our first room had stains on the curtain
- they make big claims of the fact that there was a $25m refurb. If I was them I would be asking for a portion of my money back. The rooms are too dark and foreboding, the first set of elevators/entrance area is dated and there areas of the hotel (note the broken bathroom vents) which shows an overall lack of attention to detail.
I say it again though, I cannot fault the attentiveness and willingness of the staff, they are absolutely lovely and went out of their way to alleviate our concerns once I pushed a little bit. (not something I'm used to doing in America unfortunately). One member of staff did say that whilst it is the Hyatt brand, the hotel is not necessarily owned by Hyatt which is interesting as I'd like to see what Hyatt owns and doesn't own next time I choose one of their hotels.
Would I stay again as a return visitor in the coming years to Chicago. Probably not.
Would I stay with the Hyatt in Clearwater again? You betcha.
Enjoy your stay, you will be satisfied.
We were moved to a lovely corner suite on the 17th. I wouldn't however pay over the odds for thi...
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
September 11, 2013
Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us. Your loyalty to Hyatt is very much appreciated. Your kind words about our staff particularly Rebecca at the Front Desk and Jan at the Concierge Desk will be shared with them right away. I was very disappointed to learn of the issues you had and want you to know that this is in no way a reflection of the type of service we wish to extend to our guests. We view this as an opportunity to make necessary changes to enhance future guest experiences. Our thanks again for this feedback.
Report response as inappropriate
The Hyatt Chicago Magnificent Mile
Guest Relations Manager
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.