“Perfect! Perfect! Perfect!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #31 of 178 Hotels in Chicago
Las Vegas
“Perfect! Perfect! Perfect!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

We stayed at the Majestic Hotel to celebrate our mini-honeymoon before our big trip next year. We were looking for a small boutique hotel that we would look forward to returning to in the future. We found the Majestic through reviews online and were very satisfied with the price we found on their website.

The hotel is about four blocks from the Red Line Subway and is located in a quiet residential neighborhood. It is pretty easy walking distance with a suitcase and we found travel from midway airport to be manageable. Check in was smooth. Although we showed up early the staff scrambled and our room was perfect when we arrived with the champagne chilled and waiting.

We stayed in the Sunroom Suite. The room was the perfect size and very clean. There was a nicely sized desk, a king sized bed and then a seperate room with a loveseat, armchair and a second television. I really enjoyed the small kitchenette with a microwave, small fridge and extra sink (the mirror in this space made it a good place to get ready to go out for the evening). The room has an honor bar that was very reasonable (about $1 each for snacks and sodas). The decor is 'older' but not shabby and quite adequate. We felt it had charm. For a modern touch - the wifi was fast and free.

The staff were very friendly. There is a nice drawing room on the ground floor that always has tea and coffee available. Breakfast consists of pastries, bagels, cereal and some microwave options (like Jimmy Dean Sandwiches). I would say one of the better free breakfast spreads.

Overall we had a wonderful stay. The hotel was perfect and we will definitely be back.

Room Tip: We loved the Sunroom Suite. We were on the third floor and felt like we were in our own treehouse.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
marino44, Regional Manager at Majestic Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank You for choosing to stay with us at the Majestic Hotel to celebrate your mini honeymoon. We look forward to your future stay's with us and wish you both the best on your big trip next year.

Broughton Hospitality

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Spencer, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

The Majectic is an older building which has been converted to a boutique hotel. While some other reviews said is was not up to standards, I totally disagree. When we checked in I asked about an upgrade to a sunroom suite and sure enough one was available for just $20 dollars more. It was more than worth it as we had plenty of room. The decor was charming, it reminded be of romantic old movie sets from the 1950's. Yet, all the furniture, bedding, etc. was new, clean and comfortable. Yes, it is an old building with radiators and window air conditioners. But, if you like to stay in a place that feels like home. This can provide it. Plus, it is obvious that the management/owners of the hotel care about the guests. The attention to detail was very nice, soft robes, plenty of towels, soft lighting, two flat screen tv's, fridge, microware, wet bar. The common parlor on the main floor is beautifully decorated and you can have friends/guests come and visit you here during your stay. Plus, coffee, tea, etc. it available 24/7. A good continental breakfast is served in this room too. What's more is that it is only a few minutes walk to Broadway and all the most popular Boystown venues. We will definitely stay here again and again. It's one of the best buys in Chicago as well - about half the price of a hotel around Water Tower Place. So try it! I think you'll like it.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
The Woodlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

Majestic is an old style hotel if that is to your liking, pleasant, classy, on a relatively quiet tree lined street, yet readily accessible to the north/south Lakeshore Drive. We had a suite type room, which was large and spacious, well appreciated for a four night stay. Continental breakfast was adequate if ordinary. Our stay was trouble-free, service was efficient but not remarkable. Parking is with a garage one street over which means about a 5min walk and waiting for your car to be retrieved each morning, but that worked out ok. It also means adding $22 to your daily stay. We booked on a special rate, which was reasonable/good for Chicago. The standard rate would be pricey for this hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

The lobby has charm and the staff are pleasant and helpful. My room, however, fell just short of being yucky and gross. I'll walk you through it.

Open the door. There's no extra night-bolt security latch, by the way. The room opens into a long and dimly lit narrow hallway that wastes what minimal space there already is. At the end of the hall is a rod to hang clothes, but no closet. Turn left and there is a window looking out on an alley whose view of dumpsters is obscured only by the air-conditioner in the middle of the window and the dingy and broken vinyl Venetian blinds as well as the fire escape and tangle of wires coming from the utility pole outside. It's unclear whether the window locks completely, because of the way the air-conditioner is placed in it. The drapes cannot be completely drawn, and the adjacent yellow sodium vapor lamp just outside shines brightly into the room at night. On the opposite wall is a small electric space heater, yet on an adjacent wall there is also a steam radiator with a strange wire coming out of it. Take your pick of three unsightly devices to heat and cool the room.

Watch where you walk. The carpet is dirty and worn and the floor boards are not just creaky, but actually seem mushy enough to push your foot through the floor below. The bed takes up all but a few inches of the room and was nicely made and the linens seemed clean enough. The small bathroom with little space to store so much as a shaving kit was surprisingly modern and clean - except for the floor, again, with orange stains in the tile grout and the towels with larger matching orange stains.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
marino44, Regional Manager at Majestic Hotel, responded to this review, September 24, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank You for taking the time to share your experience at the Majestic Hotel. We value all forms of guest feedback as an opportunity to continually improve our services.

I am very concerned to learn about the condition of the room you stayed in during your recent stay. Please accept my sincere apologies.

I would like to assure you that we pay careful attention to feedback such as you provided. Please call me at the hotel 773-404-3499 and ask for me directly so we can discuss further about your experience.

I look forward to speaking with you and hope you give us an opportunity to restore your confidence with us in the near future.

Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

I stayed at the Majestic Hotel for the first week of September 2010. Given that it has taken me twelve months to finally write a review it is entirely possible that my review may be outdated and my comments no longer applicable.

I chose the Majestic for a number of reasons. First, I like to stay in accommodation that is unique to a city and I try to avoid the big chain hotels whenever I can. Second, the Majestic was/is close to where a friend currently lives. Third, it was recommended to me by another friend who had stayed at the hotel a year or two before.

Overall I enjoyed my stay at the Majestic. Although the hotel is old and the furniture perhaps somewhat dated, that is part of the hotel’s charm and, despite its age, my impression is that the hotel is generally well-maintained. I had little to complain about regarding my room, with only one exception mentioned below. I was lucky enough upon arrival to have my room upgraded from a Standard Queen to a King Suite with a den overlooking quiet, tree-lined West Brompton Place. The King Suite (Room #101) was wonderfully spacious, the bed was very comfortable, the bathroom spotless, and the large windows in the den helped to create a bright and sunny environment.

What I didn’t find so good about the room was the air-conditioning, which did not operate very effectively, in my opinion. There was always some dampness to the air even after the air-conditioning unit had been running for an hour or so. I should note that the air-conditioning unit in my room was ancient and probably needs to be replaced, if it hasn’t been replaced already. The plastic frame covering the unit was badly cracked and had a propensity to fall off. The unit was also quite loud when it was operating and I usually had to turn the dial to the least powerful setting to ensure a good night’s sleep.

Something else that bothered me a bit was what I would characterize as a musty smell that pervaded the room. Whether this odor was related to the poor air-conditioning, I don’t know. The musty odor was most obvious as soon as I came back from a day’s sightseeing. Nevertheless, I should make it clear that it wasn’t necessarily an unpleasant odor and, moreover, I would always find that I didn’t notice it very much after an hour or so back in the room. Meanwhile, I should also make clear that I never noticed any signs of mold or mildew in the room and, upon reflection, I now have to wonder if the smell was nothing more than the odor of an old building with old furnishings! :-)

On a more positive note, I found the service at the Majestic to be exceptionally good and very professional. Two staff who were working at the Majestic at the time I visited and who might still be there, Richard and Gustavo, were particularly helpful. Richard provided useful transportation tips on how to get to the hotel from O’Hare when I called to confirm my reservation, and during my stay Gustavo similarly provided good information on which buses to take to get to downtown and to certain specific sights. Gustavo was also very patient with me when I kept returning to the reception desk to replace/recode the access cards to my room when the cards mysteriously stopped functioning. Indeed, my room access cards failed at least four or five times during my stay and it took a while to figure out why this was happening. When sightseeing and using my camera, I would often place my camera case into the same pocket where I had placed my access card. What I hadn’t taken into consideration was the fact that the camera case has a small magnet embedded in the case’s cover flap. It eventually dawned on me that it was quite likely the magnet that was messing up the coding entered into the access cards. Once I began putting the camera case into a different pocket, the problem with the access cards ceased! With any luck the hotel is now using less sensitive room access cards! :-)

The Lakeview neighborhood where the Majestic is situated is predominantly residential and is a quiet, beautiful, and safe neighborhood to explore. There are a number of good restaurants in the area, especially on North Broadway and North Halsted and a couple of grocery stores nearby as well. The hotel provides breakfast in its ground floor common area and although what is provided is nothing special, it’s O.K. and is enough to get one going in the morning. Meanwhile, the hotel is only a half block away from the bus stop on North Lakeshore Drive and bus service along Lakeshore Drive to downtown Chicago is very good (the travel time by bus was usually no more than twenty minutes). Finally, as many reviewers have noted, the Majestic is ideally situated for people who want to catch a baseball game at Wrigley Field; the venerable baseball stadium is only a ten to fifteen minute walk from the hotel.

All in all, the Majestic provides decent accommodation in a wonderful neighborhood and should be considered by anyone who wants to stay somewhere else other than Chicago’s downtown core.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Opelika, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

Good, cheap hotel near wrigley. Plenty of places around within walking distance to eat. Less than a mile from the el for easy access to the loop

• Stayed August 2011
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

Luckily my stay here was just 2 nights. The room was no larger than the queen sized bed. The bed was very comfortable though. The bathroom amenities ie shower gel and liquid soaps were heavenly and the robe was a very nice touch. Beware of the products in the mini bar; many of them were out of date and stale. The only space to place my clothes was a make shift file cabinet in a small space near the door. The staff was barely visible. The room was clean except for the dark hair visible on the white bathroom floor. Excellent location in East Lakeview but VERY hard to find this hotel.

Room Tip: Don't get the tiny single room in the rear of the hotel.
  • Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
marino44, Regional Manager at Majestic Hotel, responded to this review, August 23, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank You for choosing to stay at the Majestic Hotel and for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay.

We pay careful attention to feedback such as you provided. I shared your comments with my team and they assured me that attention to detail will not slip through us again.

I welcome you to contact me directly by calling the hotel at 773-404-3499 so we can discuss your experience in greater detail. I trust we will have the opportunity to restore your confidence in the near future. I look forward to welcoming you back.