“Pleasant enough, but a little dated.” 3 of 5 stars

Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #94 of 177 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
USA
“Pleasant enough, but a little dated.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2010

Everything in the hotel was clean, although it has not been renovated since it was built in 1999, so everything looks a little dated.

The hotel is located in a complex of hotels, all about one half mile from Midway Airport. From the hotel room window, I could see three other hotels. Within the complex, there are multiple dining options, and attached to the Courtyard is TGI Fridays, which was very good.

The rooms, like the rest of the hotel, were acceptable but out of date. The beds stood out as being very comfortable, but there was no flat screen TV, and the shower was especially hard to operate. Temperature control was okay.

The service did stand out. All of the receptionists and other staff were very friendly and accommodating. The breakfast buffet is well worth the $10 per person. Free coffee, tea and hot chocolate is available in the lobby.

I got this hotel through Hotwire for $67 a night, while some guests payed $42 a night on Priceline. The hotel was charging $139 walk up, per night. For $67, it was a decent value, but for $139, it would make more sense to use another hotel in the complex, maybe the Holiday Inn.

Sleep quality, despite the nice beds, was just average. In this hotel's 11 year existence, the concept of sound proofing has not been learned. The noise from the airport was not the problem. The problem was the constant and loud hallway noise, and noise from adjacent rooms, that continued almost 24 hours a day. Late arriving guests, even those not being loud, could easily be heard at 12 AM walking to their rooms and opening and shutting doors. Guests catching early flights could be heard as early as 4 AM. I could hear every word in the next door rooms.

Overall, a decent hotel, but certainly nothing special.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2009

We recently stayed here for just one night as we were in town for a concert at the nearby Toyota Park.

The hotel was off of a main street, back in a little complex with a bunch of other hotels and a couple of restaurants.

The room was OK - seemed clean and bed was comfortable enough.

They did require you to have a parking permit - cost of $10 seems a bit much.

I would only stay here if I again was taking an early morning flight out of Midway, or going to another show at Toyota park - otherwise no reason to be in the area

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Ambler, Pennsylvania, USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2009

I travel about 25 times/year for business, and stay mainly in Hilton Family (Embassy Suites) or Marriott Family hotels.

Lobby area was average, not terribly pleasant, but fine. As soon as I walked into my room, I almost did a double take and walked back out. Was #41, which is at the end of the hallway, and not only was it much smaller than I had expected, the furnishing were outdated, drab, dirty and in disrepair. I arrived at dinner hour and was checking out before 7am the next morning, so all I was looking for was fresh, clean, pleasant.

The furniture was so old and outdated and just didn't make sense in the room, the tv was perched on such a low bureau and situated next to the bed (not head on) so it was almost impossible to watch tv from the bed. The 'sofa' looked like worn dorm furniture. Being that I travel a lot for business, I am not terribly germ phobic, but this was the first room which made me feel squeamish. The carpet felt like indoor/outdoor carpet. I had to move the curtain to allow the a/c to circulate, and when I picked up the curtains, they were very dirty and dingy. Yuck. 2 out of the 4 lights in the room did not work, and the other blinked erratically.

The kicker was that the toilet didn't flush. Best part of this stay was leaving for my meeting at 7am the next day.

Understand the convenient location and all, but as there are at least 3 other hotels in the complex, I would certaintly recommend to my colleagues to avoid this one.

Sorry, Marriott, this one just isn't up to par. Felt much more like a motel, and for the same $ as the Marriott Oak Brook (where I usually stay), was just a joke. I'm glad this wasn't coming out of my own pocket.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Napa, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2008

We had a late flight into Midway and needed a place to sleep before a day of fun in Chicago, so I booked a room through Priceline, and ended up at the Courtyard. For the price I paid, it was a great value. If I had paid full price, I might have wanted more pizazz. But the room was roomy and clean, with very nice comfortable beds and bedding. I left behind my eyeglasses, on the floor of all places, and the staff was very helpful in getting them back to me in perfect condition. No noise problem, even being close to the airport. Shuttle service from the airport was great, even with our 1 AM arrival. A number of eating options attached to the hotel, or within walking distance. Features I saw but did not use: Nice looking (smallish) indoor pool and very basic fitness room.

• Liked — Convenience to Midway Airport, including shuttle service.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2007

As Marriott rewards customers, we have stayed at many Marriotts and many Courtyards. This one just wasn't up to snuff in our opinion. Yes, it is convenient to Midway (by shuttle) and to downtown (by El). The lobby is, well, motel-like (it is what it is). The room is okay, clean (except for some mold in the shower) with a comfortable bed and good shower. But there was that mold in the shower, and the air conditioner sounded like a jet engine taking off every time it cycled on.

All in all, I think it's way overpriced. If I were to stay at Midway again (a viable option if you're arriving late, since getting into the city the next day is so darn easy on public transportation), I'd find a less expensive option like a Days Inn or Sleep Inn.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Price/value relationship
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Bloomington, IN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2007

Near Midway, but not so close that the planes bother you. In fact, we rather enjoyed watching them fly in! This was SUCH a clean and comfortable place to stay. It was very relaxing to come back to after a busy day downtown.

The hotel is in a complex with a lot of other hotels. We felt very safe there. They also have a 24 trolley that will take you to/from Midway and the El station, although we didn't use it.

The Friday's restaurant attached to the hotel was very convenient to grab a bite before heading out for the evening. We even got desserts to go and ate them in our room when we returned.

We paid $169 a night (before taxes) which included the $10 a day for parking (unless they just forgot to add it onto our bill). We felt that it was VERY worth it even tho we had to drive about 25 minutes to get to our destination each day.

Once again, a great experience with Courtyard. I've never had a bad one!

• Liked — Clean, safe, friendly, on site restaurant, trolley service, 24 hour fitness and computer access.
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Green Bay
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2005

Stayed here for 1 night before leaving from the Midway airport. The location can't be beat if you are flying out of Midway. This hotel is in a complex with other hotels surrounding the Midway airport. There is a Friday's attached to the Courtyard, though we didn't try it. Our room was a bit small but clean and new looking. The staff was very friendly. The shuttle service was very prompt in taking us to and from the airport. We would not hesitate to stay here again for a park and fly.

• Stayed July 2005

Been to Courtyard Chicago Midway Airport? Share your experiences!