“Think French and Mexican cuisines can't possibly be fused?” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Chicago, Illinois
“Think French and Mexican cuisines can't possibly be fused?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

We love this restaurant. Very interesting pairings -- smoked salmon quesidillas, poblano peppers stuffed with scallops and shrimps -- ...and it is BYOB!

• Visited February 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Durango, CO
“DELICIOUS FOOD! You must try this place!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

I have been here twice now with friends who live in the area. Both times it has been spectacular!! The first time I shared chips and guac with my friends, and got my own shrimp entree. It was all fabulous. The second, more recent time (a year or 2 later than the first time), my two friends and I just couldn't decide amongst all the delicious sounding food that we decided to split several appetizers. We got the crab cakes, chipotle shrimp quesadilla, spinach & cheese chimichanga, and a salad. Each dish was more delicious than the next! For dessert, we had flan, which my friends chose. I don't even like flan, and this was great!! The one thing I'm not crazy about is that it's BYOB. I prefer to have a good martini or margarita with dinner. However, BYOB keeps the cost down, and it's already a very affordable place, which is nice. I recommended it to other friends who were visiting the area, and they loved it, too! I wish I lived in Chicago so that I could eat here more often! :) It's a must try.

• Visited July 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Creative and tasty”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

I have been to this restaurant many times and have consistently enjoyed it for its creative cuisine and excellent execution. They blend French influence into Mexican food, and their duck nachos are their claim to fame. I've found, though, that all their food is excellent, especially for the very reasonable prices. I particularly love their mole, though their green and red sauces are also superb. Being BYOB is an added advantage - I always prefer to bring my own wine (I recommend a Spanish red). If you have room for dessert, be sure to try their chocolate chimicangas - they're addictive!

• Visited August 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Iowa City, Iowa
“This has become one of my Chicago favorites”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2009

Lincoln Square is emerging as a lively and wide-ranging restaurant area in Chicago, with a number of excellent choices within a few blocks of the square. Dorado has become my favorite--creative and nicely prepared Mexican fusion dishes. The tilapia was terrific--spicy without overwhelming the taste of the fresh fish. With a couple of excellent wine stores nearby, the BYOB policy here (no corking fees) is a real bonus: you can accompany your meal with a wine twice as good as you'd normally get on an overpriced wine list. It's always crowded here, and the space creates noise, so it's not a place for a quiet romantic dinner. But if you're in a good mood and want excellent food at a reasonable price, this popular place is well worth a try.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Fabulous food...make reservations...and it's BYOB.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2008

Fabulous food...make reservations...and it's BYOB.

If you own or manage Dorado, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.