“Overall Quite Satisfied” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Chicago River North

You added The Westin Chicago River North to your Saves list
The Westin Chicago River North
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   320 N. Dearborn Ave., Chicago, IL 60610 (Near North Side)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #40 of 177 Hotels in Chicago
Certificate of Excellence 2014
CPT_DirtyPHIL
“Overall Quite Satisfied”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2008

Stayed here 4 nights for business meetings.

Overall Hotel was very nice. Only complaint was the meeting rooms downstairs for our company were very hot. After NUMEROUS complaints they finally managed to use the A.C.

Stayed at Embassy Suites Downtown Lakefront for 3 additional nights...WESTIN was much nicer and elegant.

Very good location also

• Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2008

Very nice, classy hotel. All of the staff is friendly and helpful.
The rooms are clean, large and comfortable. Nice location.
You must eat at Sullivan's when here - it is only a block away.
I would stay here again in an instant.

• Liked — Friendliness
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2008

I stay at Starwood properties constantly. I used to love the service, and I am one of those model customers - stay 30+ times per year, never complain, etc., but things are progressively deteriorating. My recent problems at the Westin River North are small, but continue the downward trend.

1. After staying at Starwood properties for close to 30 nights, I tried to use my points to book a personal stay - only to discover I had none. According to "customer service" all of my points were going to an airline, and they claimed I had authorized this. I asked for proof - a signed paper, an email form, anything - but they refused to provide any, and refused to give me my points back.

2. I originally was upgraded to a concierge level at every stay - once I corrected their mistake on the airline and began collecting actual Starwood points for real, those upgrades stopped. At the West River North, I was dropped down to the preferred level, and then to the regular level. For some reason, I stopped receiving the benefits that I had supposedly earned as a regular customer - free water, free internet, free health club access - all gone.

3. When I went to Westin's front desk to let them know about minor housekeeping issues - i.e., I didn't get a bottle of water, the soap was thrown away each night, and someone's used hair tie went from the floor into my back of hair supplies (ick). I was pretty nice about it - just "here's an FYI for your housekeeping staff." The attendant's response was to roll her eyes, tell me the water was the mini-bar's responsibility, and ask why I was complaining about the soap being thrown away. I had to ask whether they had ever heard of the environment in Chicago

For those of you who wonder, take 100 rooms * 2 bars of soap per night * 365 days per year * the number of hotels in Chicago, and ask yourself if you want that in your water supply. I've stayed in hotels (including the Westin) enough to know they usually don't throw away the soap if the same person stays in the room.

These aren't huge, and wouldn't be worth noting for a $100/night place. But given the obscene prices, and given the competition for valuable regular customers - surely they can do better?

• Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2008

We were there in July on business. Room was well appointed being on the club level. While non-smoking I did notice a faint smell obviously from the previous visitor. Great location on the river and a very good breakfast served each day in the restaurant. I would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Kansas City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2008

This is a nice Westin in a good location. Easy walk to all that you want to do, yet quiet (for Chicago). Our room was clean, well appointed and had a nice view of the river. Service was average.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2008

I liked this hotel alot. It was decorated very simply and elegantly. We were on the 3rd floor and did not have any special view, except for an office building across the street. There is alot of construction going on around the hotel and downtown in general. We had an issue with our shower but we didn't bother complaining about it. It was leaking and squirting out the sides. The shower head was also coming away from the wall. The caulking around the bathtub had some mold on it. It was difficult to see at first because the caulk was infact a black color (matched the black marble tiles). The only thing I did not like about this place was that it was extremely dark. The lobby area had very dim lighting and so did the rooms. But that is the style of the hotel. Our beds were very comfortable. I used the gym twice (there's a $10 fee). There was a good selection of equipment and it was clean. We had some drinks at the bar and some sushi one night. I wouldn't recommend eating/drinking at the hotel as they charge around 15% tax on any food/drink at the hotel, which would be the same in any hotel in Chicago. We didn't eat breakfast at the hotel either. There's an Einstein Bagel outside the hotel where we ate breakfast. There are lots of restaurants within a few minutes walk of the hotel. Room Service and Mini Bar was very expensive so we didn't use it. The front desk staff were friendly and even took off a charge for WI FI that my teenage son signed up for using his PSP without asking me. I appreciated that. The concierge staff were helpful with directions and helping us with dinner arrangements. Overall, we had a very pleasant stay at the Westin and would stay here again. If construction bothers you, check with the hotel beforehand because there was alot of construction going on right outside the hotel when we were there in July.

• Liked — Location, nice simple elegant decoration
  • Disliked — Broken shower, darkness
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2008

Check in was smooth, no PL mentioned. Even honoured my reqeust of a king size room without any questions. Got one facing north at the corner, so no river view. It's a problem as there is a new condo/building going up now, so there are tons of construction worker looking right into the room...so if that's not your thing then you will need to close the drapes often. Room itself is newly renovated (think most if not all rooms are). Tons of space, nice chaise and chairs (more than the usual 1 in other hotels), and a good desk/chair to work on. Of course, the heavenly bed and the works. Bathroom was also fantastic, marble everywhere, extra large soaker tub, double shower head, quiet Kohler toilet, shaving mirror with light, and large counter space and shelves for storage. Only down side to the room was 1)lotion is more runny than water, 2) dark hallway so the minibar was hard to use since you are in the dark, 3)terrbile corkscrew (buy one if you are going to drink wine often), and outrageous minibar charges ($5 for water).

Service of everyone was great, even gave me late checkout. Concierge was a bit cold. Sushi bar in the lobby was good and reasonably priced. Free wireless internet also in the lobby so don't pay in the room. They try to sell you a drink but just politely refuse and surf away.

Location is amazing, tons of (albeit pricey) restaurants around, 7-11 and Einsteins Bagel just up the street, and short walk to Brown/Red line and Michigan Ave and Blue line from O'Hare.

It was also a very quiet hotel given it's size and business nature (even on weekedays). So if you get this hotel on your bid, start smiling

• Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Westin Chicago River North? Share your experiences!