“Great location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Chicago River North

You added The Westin Chicago River North to your Saves list
The Westin Chicago River North
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   320 N. Dearborn Ave., Chicago, IL 60610 (Near North Side)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #40 of 177 Hotels in Chicago
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Great location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

This hotel is clean and in a great location. I wouldn't eat or drink at the hotel there again. We ordered 3 drinks (vodka sodas) and watched him pour Smirnoff. Our bill was over $40.00! Pretty over priced for a rail vodka. Also the second we walked into our room our toilet wouldn't flush. They sent someone up a few minutes later, and took him 30 mins to fix and we were in a huge hurry to leave. Will probably try somewhere else next time. I've stayed at much nicer Westin's before.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Bryan W, Front Office Manager at The Westin Chicago River North, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
Hello ndbrit06,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I'm truly sorry to hear that we were unable to meet your expectations during your recent visit, and that you do not plan to return. It is my sincerest hope that we will have the chance to welcome you back and show you that this is certainly not the norm here at The Westin Chicago River North. We pride ourselves on our service, property, and brand, and it saddens me to see that we were unable to showcase that to you.

If you do happen to choose to visit us again please do not hesitate to reach out to me personally so that I may ensure your complete satisfaction with your upcoming stay, and ensure you experience the Westin brand, and The Westin Chicago River North the way it's truly meant to be.

Bryan W.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

Great hotel right next to the House of Blues. Tons to see & do. Great restraunts and night life. The staff is very friendly and professional. The room was stylish, modern and very comfortable. Room service was prompt and very tasty, but a bit overpriced. Have already planned my next stay there!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Bryan W, Front Office Manager at The Westin Chicago River North, responded to this review, February 16, 2014
Hello oconnor1129,

Thank you for sharing this wonderful note with us. I'm truly delighted to hear that your recent stay was so renewing that you've already booked your next stay with us!

If you have any special requests, or anything we can do to make your next stay more comfortable or memorable please do not hesitate to reach out to me personally.

AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

I used to stay at the Westin all the time, but I began to try nearby boutique hotels, and liked them. The freezing weather drove me back to the Westin (which is attached to the building where I work) and I'm glad it did. The service, as always, was stellar. Very responsive to guest needs for everything from a tape dispenser to a late check-out by a sick guest. Service in the restaurant was excellent (the bar service was very variable, but it always has been. They never seem equipped to serve a large number of guests in the lobby bar.)
However, the old Westin shine could use a little polishing. In the room where I stayed there were no electric plugs accessible by the bed (a problem I thought Starwood had addressed long ago.) When I called for an extension cord, the engineer kindly installed it for me so I didn't have to climb under my bed.
Speaking of the bed, the Heavenly Bed experience was missing from this room. The duvet and pillows were old and thin (particularly noticeable given the cold). The mattress seemed flat and not the cloud of comfort I remember. The bathroom was beat up, with a toilet that would not stop running unless you jiggled the handle, and some serious paint chips around the mirror.
The phone rang only in the bathroom, which didn't matter after the initial confusion. But the heat seemed to go off, or down, every time I left the room, requiring me to sit in my coat for an hour while it heated up to a decent temperature.
I wondered if I received a room that hadn't been rehabbed because I booked through a third party? Apparently not, because my business companion booked directly with the hotel and had the same issues.

Room Tip: See if you can get one that's been updated. Also, ask for a room facing the iconic Marina Towers...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Bryan W, Front Office Manager at The Westin Chicago River North, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Hello BuffCrone,

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to share this valuable feedback. We truly appreciate the notes you've given us regarding the room conditions, and I'm sorry to hear that you experienced them. If you have a free moment and would be able to email me any further feedback as well as your room number I will be sure to have my engineering team look into and resolve the issues you mentioned.

Although you did experience some issues with the room I'm relieved to see that our staff really helped to make this trip enjoyable and that they've done so consistently. You mentioned you've been staying at local boutique hotels and hadn't stayed with us for some time. I hope that we're able to change that trend and to be able to consistently bring you back to stay with us. If you ever have any comments, concerns, or would like someone to look over your reservations in the future please do not hesitate to contact me at bryan.williams@westin.com

Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

We got a great deal on a social coupon website so we obviously got a great deal. Everything at the hotel was enjoyable and convenient, and felt luxurious yet simple.

The only issue we faced one morning, around 7 or 8am they started grouting the outside of the building and it was incredibly loud. I understand it's tough to time it, but when I'm on vacation and trying to sleep in after a night out, that's the worst thing to wake up to. They offered "$100 off the check," when we phoned down, but upon checkout they tried to claim that it was supposed to be "$100 towards the restaurant." Which seems ridiculous to tell us when we're trying to check out and catch our flight. Ultimately they relented, but it was a bigger struggle than should have been. Other than that, it was a nice hotel and a solid location to everything.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Hello Reg P ,

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to share your recent stay with us. I'm sorry to hear that you had issues with noise while you were here, I am however glad that we were able to resolve this for you while you were here on property.

I'm also delighted to hear that this did not have a negative impact on your stay and I hope that we will be able to welcome you back for another visit in the near future that is noise free!

Silver Spring MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

Great stay at the Westin. Restaurants nearby are abundant. My only complaint was the restaurant on Sunday doesn't open for breakfast until 7am. They do offer a senior rate that is excellent and you can still cancel up to 24 hours before arrival without a penalty.

Room Tip: My room faced the river and nice view of the city. Also quiet.
Hello Georgespicer,

It was a pleasure to host you for your recent Chicago escape. I'm delighted to hear that you left feeling refreshed, and that you felt that your stay provided great value.

We look forward to welcoming you back again the next time your travels bring you to Chicago!

Aurora, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

This hotel was very reasonably priced and very clean and quiet. It is also close to a number of restaurants and other attractions. My only complaint is the service is very poor. Very hard to find a concierge and nobody seems to want to answer the front desk phone.

That said I will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: The extra cost of staying on the executive floor is often not that much and well worth it.
Hello Richard D,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and I'm delighted to see that you enjoyed your recent visit and find a great value in the hotel. I am however saddened to see that you felt the service was not up to your expectations. This is certainly never the experience we want our guests to have and I'd love to gather more feedback regarding your stay. If you have a free moment, please call me at 312-744-1900 and I would be happy to speak with you.
I hope we’re able to welcome you back again in the future and when that time does come please do not hesitate to reach out to me personally beforehand so that I can ensure your complete satisfaction with any and all future visits.

Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

Second time here for business. The hotel is awesome and always has great service. If you are staying in Chicago you must stay here.

The proximity of the hotel to the city is great. There are many restaurants and bars to goto.

The hotel room is always great. Clean and comfortable.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the river.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Hello himynameisjosh,

I'm happy to hear that you've enjoyed this recent stay as much as the last. We truly appreciate your loyalty and we hope to be able to welcome you back. We're proud to be your home away from home on business and if there is anything we can do to make these business trips more comfortable please do not hesitate to let us know.

Bryan W.

Been to The Westin Chicago River North? Share your experiences!