“A good choice in so many ways” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Chicago River North

You added The Westin Chicago River North to your Saves list
The Westin Chicago River North
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   320 N. Dearborn Ave., Chicago, IL 60610 (Near North Side)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #45 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Toronto, Canada
“A good choice in so many ways”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

A great location in Chicago. Close to the Magnificent Mile and tons of shopping and restaurants. The hotel is very clean. Rooms are huge with all amenities and the staff are quite attentive. We were visiting for a father/son weekend and wanted no unpleasant surprises. The Westin came thru wonderfully.

The only negatives: no free wifi in rooms, just the lobby (really??!), no pool and lastly, a free breakfast would have been great. But this hotel was perfect otherwise.

Tips: There is a Harry Caray's restaurant across the street but call ahead to make reservations as they get busy. Also an Eistein Bros. for a good breakfast option. If heading to Wrigley Field the red line train station is at Grant Ave. about 3 blocks easy walk away.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Peter S, General Manager at The Westin Chicago River North, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear DRNJ1960,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your kind words and recent experience with us. We are delighted to have been able to play a part in your father/son weekend and we hope to welcome you back for many more.

Peter S.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
Tallahassee, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

From the moment I walked through the door, I felt like a valued guest. Every staff member made a point to say hello and over their assistance, not just when I arrived but throughout my entire stay. I highly recommend this hotel.

Dear Amanda C,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us at The Westin Chicago River North. I'm delighted to hear that we were able to have such a positive impact on your recent trip to Chicago. It was our pleasure to have you as one of our guests and we most certainly hope to welcome you back again soon.

Grand Rapids, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I stayed at the Westin River North April 12-13 with a group of friends. I love most Westin properties but this one feels off-brand. The lobby is nice but slightly dated. The rooms are the same, dated and not fresh.

As for the service, also just okay. I asked the concierge several questions about parking and baggage and instead of helping right away, they would send me off to the valet or front desk. This is fine but for what I thought to be simple questions, I felt I was getting the run around. However, the bellhops were great, especially Allen!

To end on a positive note, the location is amazing! Also, easy self-parking options make the hotel more accessible than other Chicago hotels I've stayed at.

Overall, I would consider staying here again but only because the location is amazing. However, I would perhaps consider other nearby options as well.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Peter S, General Manager at The Westin Chicago River North, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear Jaya R,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us the gift of feedback from your recent stay with us. I would like to personally apologize for feeling that we were "off-brand" and for falling short of not only your expectations, but the level of service that we aspire to provide.

I most certainly hope that we will be able to welcome you back soon and I'm positive that we will be able to not only meet but also exceed your expectations while you are here.

Helena, Alabama, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel several times and have been more than pleased each time. Great service! I had a little mishap with my key not working, but I have to say that Bryan "front desk manager" went above and beyond to make me happy!!! Convenient location too! Will always stay at this hotel!

Dear Cathy K,

Thank you for taking the time to share your past experiences with us. I'm truly delighted to hear that we've always been able to exceed your expectations during your numerous stays with us. I will pass your kind words along to Bryan but I'm glad to hear that he was able to have such a positive impact on your stay and we're proud to have him as a part of our management team.

We look forward to welcoming you back sometime soon, and please feel free to contact Bryan or one of the other front office managers prior to your arrival so that they may oversee your accommodations and ensure you have another wonderful stay with us.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

I have visited this hotel several times over the past few years. The service always exceeds my expectation. On the most recent stay I was able to communicate with Lisa the concierge before arriving and she addressed all my concerns and requests promptly. The on property service was always provided with a genuine and caring attitude, and the in-room iPad was very convenient for placing some random room service orders throughout the day. We were only able to stay for a night, but I wish that we could've stayed longer! I will definitely be back!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Martin W,

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to share your experiences with us at The Westin Chicago River North. I'm delighted to hear that you've found that our property is able to continually exceed your expectations.

We are very fortunate and proud to have Lisa interacting with and assisting our guests on a daily basis. As you've experienced, her caring and instinctive attitude are invaluable to our team and why she is so well liked by our guests and associates.

I'm happy to hear that you plan to return soon, and we look forward to welcoming you back for another renewing visit.

Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

I visit Chicago several times a year and I love the location of this hotel because it is literally a block away from my office-so convenient. Oh, it happens to be in a great spot overall with a million things around it- great fun places to eat, great bars, lots of stuff to do and see within walking distance. Great for a business traveler because there is a CVS around the corner if you need to pick anything up that you may have left at home- easy places to grab lunch, coffee, a bagel... you are not sequestered to the hotel. Which is good because there are just a few things about this hotel that totally gets on my nerves. If I stay here and then stay somewhere else- (which is sort of my pattern)- I get excited to revisit (again, no cabs, walking distance to my office, just so darn easy..)

Its dark-
Too dark. Read all of the reviews, everyone says this but its dismal and dark and the lack of lighting in the main lobby makes you feel like you were staring at the sun one moment- and then ushered into complete darkness the next. The minute you step into the hotel its like Ive gone temporarily blind..

It trys to smell good which makes it smell bad-
It's got that weird overpowering aromatherapy smell but after a while-you get used to it. It's definitely a one-two punch. Upon your first entrance into the hotel- you go blind- then you choke on relaxing scents.

Im an SPG Gold member so I tend to get good rates and I locked in Executive level/club floor- but Ive stayed here several times before and been on most of the floors and they all are..

Too hot-
annoyingly hot- unregulatably hot. Sweat your makeup off hot. Make your flat ironed hair wonky- hot. There seems to be zero HVAC happening in the bathroom. You are on your own in there. The shower steams it up and then you melt trying to get ready and look halfway decent. I had the thermostat turned down as low as it could go (65) and that room was over 72 degrees the entire time i was there. When I have complained about this in the past- the solution was to bring me a fan (that didnt fully work) to make it cooler in my room. Didnt work. Read the reviews, everyone is complaining about the heat. And yes Mr. General Manager- I know how to work your thermostat and I know the difference between auto and fan. I would have been happy for either of them to work and make it cooler in my room.

Bathroom lighting:

It somehow removes any color other than greyish/khaki. The bulbs are dull or cheap or something- but there is no shine to your hair, you cannot determine how much makeup you are applying- like my blush for example.. I looked like Vegas showgirl after applying my makeup and only realized this as I walked into my office and looked in a real mirror under normal lighting. I just gave up and tried to throw some makeup on in between meetings. I didnt want to risk the further embarrassement of looking like a rodeo clown during a meeting with my CEO.

Two other minor things that happened but sort of irritated me:

I came from O'Hare by cab to the hotel upon my arrival on Monday night at 7:30 PM CST time. When the cab pulled up, there was no doorman there. Then a doorman came out and he didnt want to grab my luggage out of the cab- I guess he wanted the cabbie to do it and the cabbie whistled at him and pointed to his trunk to retrieve my luggage... As I was settling up with the cabbie and paying him, the doorman took my suitcase and left it out front next to me. I got out of the cab and the doorman left. I had two carryons and a huge suitcase and had two choices- to either go through a revolving door or through a push door. I went for the push door- so so heavy. I tipped over my suitcase and couldnt seem to maneuver opening the door and grabbing my suitcase to return it to an upright position and continue to drag it through the front lobby to go check in. I actually did this a couple of times and looked like an idiot but hey, dont come help me doorman. Thanks for that one. I tip nicely too as I never stiff hardworking folks- I am one too.

Three nights into my stay ( I stayed four nights) I took my team to the hotel lobby for a round of drinks prior to our dinner reservation. The waiter came up to us and took our order- not a friendly guy but not unfriendly.. We order- the round comes. we literally take maybe two sips out of our drinks (there were 8 of us) and he walks over to me and puts the tab on the table for me to sign. Im like "we just sat down and got these drinks from you, why are you giving me the bill?" We were hoping to have another round or two, but honestly no one was thinking about that- It was just really weird for the guy to rush me out of lobby bar at the hotel I am staying at while I am entertaining my team. So he walks away- leaving the tab on the table and I just ignore it. I am in front of my team and I dont want to distract from our conversation or look like i was bothered (but I was and would address it later). We finish our round of drinks and we would like another round and we had to flag down another waiter who said "whatcha want?" - I told him we would like another round of drinks and to please find my waiter. He said our waiter went on "break" and that he was covering for him. Well that makes sense. Zombie unfriendly lobby bar waiter wanted to get his biz wrapped up before he went on break.. Really- Westin, really? Deal with that please. All you have are your guests so make sure customer service resonates through the entire team that works for the hotel. The staff is exceptional but the dude who tried to get me to sign my bill after he delivered my drinks hates his life so help him out.

Im going to hit my other favorites like Palomar and the W's next time im in town. River North has too many idiosynchracies for me at this point and the overall experience didnt convince me it was the place to stay for future visits.

Room Tip: Get a high floor and get the river view...
Dear LHO2024,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us the gift of feedback. I cannot thank you enough for providing such in-depth and detailed information regarding our hotel and your experiences here.

Feedback like this is what we use to fuel change within our hotel and I assure you that I will get with my team to address these issues and when we are able to welcome you back again we will be able to do so without any of these issues.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

Incredibly friendly staff who go out of their way to help and care for your needs. Above and beyond service. Rooms are comfortable. Location is great. Breakfast is tasty. What more could you want? I will definitely be staying here when I next visit Chicago.

• Stayed April 2013
Peter S, General Manager at The Westin Chicago River North, responded to this review, April 14, 2013
DearTanyaThompson,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience and kind words with us. It was truly our pleasure to have you as our guest here at the Westin Chicago River North and I'm delighted to hear that you already plan to visit us again. Whenever that may be please do not hesitate to reach out to one of the front office managers so that we may oversee your accommodations and ensure that you have the same renewing experience once again.

Peter S.

Been to The Westin Chicago River North? Share your experiences!